Dominican Salon sucess or horror stories

Indigo's Hair

Hello Ladies,

I thought it would be a good idea to post results from your dominican salon experience here. Please let everyone know if your experience was positive or negative. I am thinking of getting weekly wash and sets at a local dominican salon but I don't want my hair to end up in a worse condition than it is presently. So far, I am pleased with their work. My hair stays moisturized and I was a firm believer that I had the driest scalp on earth; but, whatever they use makes my hair feel soft and hydrated for days. I am so use to putting TONS of moisturizer in my hair daily that I usually still add a little moisturizer and oil to my ends every day and my hair still stays bouncy. I don't spend as much money on products anymore and I don't use as much product. So a bottle of moisturizer now can last for nearly a month. Also, I dont have to do anything to my hair all week but wrap it at night. But as a dominican salon newbie, there may be some things I am overlooking (like heat damage over time) that may hinder my healthy hair goals.

So, ladies, let me know your experience (especially those who have been going to dominican salons for years).

Last edited:
I have never been to a Dominican salon myself. However, the salon that I'm going to has several clients that come in for repair after they've been. And over a period of time all the heat they use damages thier hair. This alone has scared me into not using any direct heat :nono:.

I've only had good experiences at Dominican salons, however, I haven't gone regularly enough to have any possible damage done.

I like the salon's products, and how sleek my hair is when I'm walking out and how it stays for the week.

I've never had a bad experience at the Dominican Salons. Unlike Black salons and I hate to say this, but when you tell them something (and the communication level is there), they do exactly as asked. Whereas with black salons, I often encounter attitudes (the I know best attitude) or they do as they choose to my hair.

Typically its a rule of thumb here in NY to bring your own products along, but you'll have some salons that use great products. I have noticed here in NY, when you build a consistent relationship at one Dominican Salon the level of service goes up and they start giving u tips/tricks and using the better products lol.

I guess its like that where I'm from bcuz I'm from the home of the dominican salon/wash n set (washington heights) and the salons are a dime a dozen. Ppl will often go to any salon,as the competition is fierce. I can get a set for $7-10 lol. But once u build that relationship u r good to good.

Once u build that relationship, you'll see all the secret ingredients from the back as the girl offer you pastelles and coffee lol, they'll try to get u to dance to Suavemente lol. I loved my salon lol

I just moved to Atlanta and I am also considering going to the Dominican salon on a regular basis. At the salon i have went to a few times (lily's) it is definitely important to go to the right person. some of them are very rough and heat happy. i think i have found two that i like to go to that listen and are not too aggressive with the heat

However, i actually NEVER get all of my hair blown straight. If it is the first 4 or 5 weeks after a relaxer i just get a roller set with no heat at all afterwards. Just wrap and go. Or once i have a lot of new growth (like now) i get just the roots blown. yesterday i had her pin curl it and didn't take it down til i had been home for a while. i liked the results

the lady i went to yesterday really shocked me. i was all ready for her to complain about my new growth or frown at my hair type (coarse 4b) but she says "mami you have very nice hair. you don't like long hair? You have type of hair, it can grow long. as long as you don't blow it too much or it will get dry". i told her i am trying to grow it out and i blow as little as possible. then she nods and says "thats why". i'm assuming she meant yes, thats why it is it looks nice because i don't blow it alot.

It doesn't seem like my stylist used any heat. She did blow-out the roots but I didn't feel anything.

So, over time the heat will thin, dry out or damage your hair? Okay.

Anymore ladies with dominican salon experiences?

I loved my domincan salon. I loved the way my hair came out from the roller sets and I was always in and out. I did stop going because, even with only blowing out the roots, they were a tad too rough and the blowdryer they used was too hot. After a few months, my whole front was broken off. All of a sudden, I had bangs, lol:look:

Now I do it all at home. I use a less intense blowdryer and blow out my roots gently. I took a while, but my front grew back completely:yep:

I loved my domincan salon. I loved the way my hair came out from the roller sets and I was always in and out. I did stop going because, even with only blowing out the roots, they were a tad too rough and the blowdryer they used was too hot. After a few months, my whole front was broken off. All of a sudden, I had bangs, lol:look:

Now I do it all at home. I use a less intense blowdryer and blow out my roots gently. I took a while, but my front grew back completely:yep:

this really scares me. Maybe i won't be going to them on a regular basis :ohwell:

Macherieamour,

Do you blow out your roots at home weekly? Do you get the same results as you did when visiting your dominican salon? Do you find a need to blow out your roots while using the Pibbs dryer?

I've never had a bad experience at the Dominican Salons. Unlike Black salons and I hate to say this, but when you tell them something (and the communication level is there), they do exactly as asked. Whereas with black salons, I often encounter attitudes (the I know best attitude) or they do as they choose to my hair.

Typically its a rule of thumb here in NY to bring your own products along, but you'll have some salons that use great products. I have noticed here in NY, when you build a consistent relationship at one Dominican Salon the level of service goes up and they start giving u tips/tricks and using the better products lol.

I guess its like that where I'm from bcuz I'm from the home of the dominican salon/wash n set (washington heights) and the salons are a dime a dozen. Ppl will often go to any salon,as the competition is fierce. I can get a set for $7-10 lol. But once u build that relationship u r good to good.

Once u build that relationship, you'll see all the secret ingredients from the back as the girl offer you pastelles and coffee lol, they'll try to get u to dance to Suavemente lol. I loved my salon lol
Washington Heights huh? Googling it now, lol. I have only gone once and my results are here in another thread but I loved it. I see how it would be addictive as heck. My rollersets never come out like that. The customer service is way better and unfotunately I have experienced worse in "other" salons.

Last edited:
I occasion a dominican salon when I relax. I only had a blowout out once but I immediately noiticed that my hair was thinned form the pulling iof the brushes.

Also watch for their dryers, the salons I went to had the dryers that covered almost half your face, and they get HHOOOOOOOTTT! Too hot for health.

I like that they dont try to coax you into relaxing at the very sight of new growth. At black salons the first thing they say is "you need a perm" or "your not perming your hair right" !

I like dominican salons, beacuse they are cheap 7-15 dollars depending on length and the wait is sooooo short to none, because everyone is getting sets! im in an out in an hour and a half.

So go for it, just bring your own setting lotin and dont get a blow dry.

I had a decent experience and my hair got really straight but all that heat cannot be healthy over a period of time so I only went like once a month.

I almost slapped one Chica because she was spraying some liquid "spray" conditioner and then using that hot arse blow dryer. The steam was buring the crap out of me so i made her stop :nono:

The room in the back where all 50 dryers are lined up is like hell on a hot day in the atl. Everyone was back there about to fight each other over those blow fans (even tho they were blowing hot air) and I swear 2 girls were about to throw down because one girl turned or "adjusted" the other girls fan.

I had a decent experience and my hair got really straight but all that heat cannot be healthy over a period of time so I only went like once a month.

I almost slapped one Chica because she was spraying some liquid "spray" conditioner and then using that hot arse blow dryer. The steam was buring the crap out of me so i made her stop :nono:

The room in the back where all 50 dryers are lined up is like hell on a hot day in the atl. Everyone was back there about to fight each other over those blow fans (even tho they were blowing hot air) and I swear 2 girls were about to throw down because one girl turned or "adjusted" the other girls fan.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:hillarious!

The only problem that I have is the heat from the blow dryer. It feels like somebody lit a match to your scalp when they blow dry it.

This has been my experience also. This year I started going to a Dominican salon for relaxer touch-ups. They do what I ask them to do and they have no problem with me and the other customers bringing our own products.

The first time I went to the salon, just to check it out, I got a shampoo, DC, and rollerset. Then the stylist did a blowout - I was 5 weeks post - and the blow dryer was soooo hot. :burning:

I have gone to a Domincan salan a few times. I LOVE the way my hair looks and feels when I come out, but I would only go seldomly. I also only go when I need a touch-up and I'm trying to stretch. I learned my lesson the hard way because when I was in DC, I used to get the blow-out weekly. Within about a month (or a little more) my hair that was just below NL was then at the bottom of my nape... MADNESS! Now that I am almost mid-back length, I will only go after about my 6th or 7th week of stretching and only once. That much heat and that much manipulation is definitely not good for my fine strands.

When I get the rollerset and nothing else, it is nice; albeit, plain.

The last time I got a rollerset, blow out, and flat iron, to realize length, it was horrible. My hair was so lifeless and bland that I actually went to my regular stylist the next day for a regular rollerset. Although it is $28 compared to my regular stylist's $50, in the end, I always wind up going to my regular stylist. I am not a fan...

ETA: my opinions change like the wind...but for today, I stick by this frame of thought.

Were any of you ladies able to retain ANY length while using dominican salons?

I have been going to Dominican salons all my life cause is all i know. I love the salon i go to she focuses on less heat and my hair feels lovely all week... I bring my products and they do DC every week. Just make sure you bring the products that your hair likes ( if they use good ones great) and DC. Also, make sure your stylist is gentle.

I only went once fro a relaxer and then a rollerset! I did not know my hair could feel so great. The body I had was crazy! I still would not get a blowout each time if I had the opportunity. I would just get a roller set.

I've had good and bad experiences. The salon a few blocks from my house is the one I went to for over 3-4 years. Though there are some things they did that I now realize isnt the best (I have LHCF to thank for that :grin:) they were still pretty good...trimmed my hair well, friendly and after becoming a regular what I wanted and needed was known so there wasnt any communication problems.

They also do great highlights and coloring services and will straight up tell you NO or advise things that they believe is truly horrible for the health of your hair. Blowouts were usually fabulous, though certain hairdressers didnt do it as well as others...(I never went to the same person...they were literally ALL good at taking care of/doing your hair and each had a special talent for a specific service...like if I wanted a great haircut I'd go to "A", or highlights, I'd go to "N", or for my relaxer, "W" and so on...)

When I tried a dominican salon closer to my house, at first it was good...the blowout was great and the woman who did my hair used silk elements heat protector on each section before she blew it out. But the owner was a bit of a gouger...everytime I went, the prices always changed...once you are done and its time to get the bill she will be like "umm, lets see..." and make up a price in her head...there were times when i got the same thing as a previous week and it was different prices!:angry2: Not only that, but after awhile they skimped on blowing out my roots precisely and one time, though the heat protectant was sitting RIGHT THERE in front of her, she didnt use it when blowing out my hair until I specifically asked her! She did like one spray and continued blowing my hair out...:wallbash:

But as others have said about NYC salons, a lot of people if not most do bring their own products...man, I bring a shopping cart over there with me now, lol... Once dominican salon in harlem (139th or 140th i believe) did just fine until the blow out...idk why but my hair was stiff and didnt really swing, felt flat and thin and kinda dry...:perplexed

I will still go to Dominican salons from time to time but I'm trying to perfect doing my own hair first because I've always thought it was taboo before joining this forum. I also recently found out that I have a lot of dominican salons in my area so I'm going to be a guinea pig from time to time and check those out too.

SORRY FOR THE NOVEL!!!:blush:

I've had good results and they don't frown upon bringing your own products. If your hair is dry, try drinking more water. To save money, invest in a hood dryer and practice washing and roller setting your own hair. Now, I will visit a salon for a special event to get it over quicker than when I do my own hair. Save Your Money, Girlllllllllllllllllll!

Simone
:-)

I transitioned pretty much exclusively through going to a Dominican salon. I can sing the praises of my stylist all day. However, it was kind of hit and miss finding her; she wasn't always there and all they did were walk-ins.

However much I loved them, I can't do it anymore, or at least I will only go 1-2x a year. I went back in October (I BC'd last June) and it was just crazy -- they only sat me under the dryer to DC for 8 minutes, my hair wasn't straight on the rollers at all, it was just a mess. I mean, my ponytail rollersets get my hair straighter than that. The only thing I can say is perhaps it was the girl, she didn't seem too experienced with natural hair.

I love the dominicans, they always DC my hair with heat for 30 minutes, and rollerset very quickly, they only flat iron if you ask them too. I do think that if you over do the blow drying it can be very bad for your hair. I used to only get the blow outs once in 3 months

Well, I finally did go and I didn't care for it very much. While she did do the roller set, she used a hair dryer AND flat irons. I wasn't pleased with the products used either. Not that there's anything wrong with Bantu or Queen Helene....it's just......NO!! Those aren't the type of things I use on my hair. My hair wasn't even. I told her that I didn't mind if she cut it or shaped it....she did not! My hair is naturally curly so frizz is a problem for me. She did tell me that next time I could bring something for frizz....I've never been too keen on paying for a service AND having to supply the products also. Then, to top it off, I was charged $35 because my hair is natural (my hair isn't kinky or hard to straighten so I didn't understand this) and an extra $2 for paying with a charge. Needless to say, I felt robbed. Especially when I came home and saw how my hair looked, the split ends, and uneven shape. I had to shape it, protect it, and flat iron it AGAIN myself!!

I've seen other posters say nice things about this salon and the particular stylist I had. I will admit, she WAS extremely pleasant.....which is why I'm not going to name the salon. Maybe I came on a bad day...and I am extremely particular when it comes to my hair and skin. Needless to say..I WON'T BE BACK!!

Hi...I've been to good and BAD Dominican salons. I have recently suffered from a traumatic experience at one. The lady terribly overprocessed my hair. I should have paid more attn as she placed my relaxer throughout my hair b/c it started to break off horribly for weeks as that chemical process. I ended up getting it cut recently into a style that I really like, so I am not as mad as I was at first. It's just hair and it will grow back:) I guess my point is to go to a place where you have seen the work done. Do NOT go simply because they charge a smaller fee, because you will definitely get what you pay for in most instances. If you know that Dominican salons are known for great blow-outs, then don't go to them for chemical processes (That was my problem)!! On the other hand, there is a Dominican salon in my hometown, which I absolutely love.

Back