Dominican Relaxers

lovedone_24

Hi, has anyone gotten a relaxer done at one of these salons? I know they are famous for their blowouts, however I'm skeptical about their relaxers. Any advice? I'm in Richmond, VA by the way...

I have only had my relaxers done at Dominican salons. Like everything else, it all depends on the stylist, the relaxer and the technique. Do some research on the stylist before getting chemicals put in your head, or at least get your hair washed and set by the stylist first before doing the chemicals just to get a feel for the person and to see what other heads get styled at that salon.... MTC

^^ITA...I always get my relaxer done at the same Dominican salon by the same person (I've been going there for years and my stylist is very good).

I have only had my relaxers done at Dominican salons. Like everything else, it all depends on the stylist, the relaxer and the technique. Do some research on the stylist before getting chemicals put in your head, or at least get your hair washed and set by the stylist first before doing the chemicals just to get a feel for the person and to see what other heads get styled at that salon.... MTC
That's good advice. The problem with word of mouth around here is that most folks I run into don't get relaxers done at these places, they only get a wash & set or heat. One of my friends does not get her hair relaxed period so she would not know who to recommend anywhere.

well i recommend paying close attention to the stylist while they are applying a relaxer to another customers hair. You might have to visit the salon 3 times and just spy on them. pay attention to how they base the scalp, whether or not they pull the relaxer out to the ends, and how many times they shampoo w/ neutralizing poo. and how long they deep condition. I have many years of spying on stylist while im under the dryer. Im like a hawk!!! as a precaution i always base my scalp and put some type of oil or grease on my previously relaxed hair. Always carry a mid protein step treatment( and insist/demand they use it)

I live in the DMV area and the times that I have gone to the Dominican Salon I did not see anyone getting their hair relaxed. So I took that as a mental note and I will either self-relax or go to a stylist that I know in DC.

I agree with stalking the stylist if you have to see how they apply relaxers. Ive gone to many Domincan salons to get a relaxer and they like to leave that mess on my head for as long as possible! I could be BURNING and they would say "not yet mami...15 more minutes". I left that place sooooo fast!

Dominican salons are notorious for using no-lye aka box relaxers. (At least, around here they are). I would definitely suggest that you take your own lye relaxer, and apply conditioner/oil to your previously relaxed hair.

Back