Dominican Hair Stylists

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Hi all.

I have been hearing much about Dominican stylists. From what I've heard about them, it makes me want to go to one. Can anyone tell me how they feel Dominican stylists have worked for them? What do they do differently, than any other type of hairstylist? Does anyone know of any Domican salons in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area?

Thanks!

I honestly don't get the hype over Dominican Stylists. Their actual techniques are, according to most, more damaging than most African American or Caucasian salons I have been to. They rollerset the hair and then roller brush it with thousand degree heat. It gets the hair extremely straight which isn't always a good thing. I have been to several Domincan salons but I have never been to one that has put in a pain free relaxer. Everyone says that Dominicans know Black hair better than Black stylists which makes no sense to me. If you don't speak fluent spanish then you may need a translator at some Dominican salons. All in all they have neither helped nor hindered my hair's growth and health. You are better off doing your own hair.

Gotcha. Thanks!

But you are lying about that thousands degree heat thing, /images/graemlins/blush.gifright...............

deleted post because i posted my response on the salon experiences board.

Hi Karonica,

as HoneyRockette stated they do a technique in which they blow dry your roots...for me this technique allowed my time in between touch ups to be much longer. Since you have never been to one I would go just to see for yourself. But overall everyone that I have talked to that goes to one regularly has really long hair. One friend of mine who is from NY has hair down to her bottom and she only goes to a Dominican Stylist. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do not know if they know more about AA hair I just think they have a different technique when working with our type of textured hair.

I have always had great experiences with Dominican stylists. Being that I grew up in New York
City there was always one on every corner and they were very cheap, which is how I started
going. They use very healthy products and many of them are all about maintaining the health of
the hair. Most of them aren't really stylists though. They normally wash, then deep condition and
many of them have a hair steamer that they sit you under for deep conditioning. After that they
proceed to roller set the hair and put you under the dryer. Once that's done they blow dry the
hair with a hot blow dryer and a roller brush. It is a lot of heat, but I usually don't use any heat
after that until my next visit and it hasn't had any adverse effect on my hair. Right now I'm relaxed and
I visit a Dominica salon every two weeks and the week I don't go, I wash my hair at home. Most
of the woman that go to the salon I go to have hair that is bra strap length or below and everyone
has very healthy hair. When I started going last year in September, my hair was natural and
about a half inch above the shoulders. I had it relaxed earlier this year and my hair was bra strap
length by June of this year. During that time I was going to the salon every week.I just cut
about 4 inches off last month and I am in the process of growing it out. The salon I go to uses
alot of Spanish hair products and my hair seems to really love them. I don't think Dominican
salons work for everyone, but if you're considering one you should try it just to see how you like
the experience.
growing it back.

Oh goodness. I can see myself slowly backing away already. I can't stand getting my hair blow dryed at the hairdressers for some reason, so I usually request things where I can simply sit under the dryer. And when I do get my hair blow dryed at the salon, I'm cringing because direct heat makes me nervous (bad experiences). The thousand degree thing is still in my head! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think when my current stylist pisses me off again, I'll be giving the salon in DC Beverly told me about a call.

Thanks so much for your opinions! It helps a lot.

you need to ask around and figure out which one works for what you may need. you dont have to have heat on your head everytime you go to a dominican salon. i've been to one where you can request heat or none at all. but the point is speak up. tell them what you want and they will be able to do it. i would knock dominican salons sometimes i find their methods better for my hair then others but that doesnt mean they are better than any other race in doing hair. you just have to shop around and go into one and observe what they do ask questions and look at the clientele before you go running over one person's experience. God bless you all.

Absolutely. I'm going to call around first. Beverly has recommended me to one in the DC area, which I think is great since I won't have to go far.

I've had mostly good experiences over the years at Dominican salons. But like at any other salon--American, Black, European, etc.--there are good Dominican stylists and there are bad stylists. Overall, I think the "hype" concerning Dominican salons is due to the fact that Dominicans are not advocates of heat appliances for MAINTENANCE (no curling irons, flat irons, etc. during the week). They seem to only use blowdryers/hood dryers to style after a wash. They are very into having healthy, PRETTY hair and would not subject hair to things that would damage it like "eye-slanting" braids.

I like them, but I do agree that the blowdryers are used TOO hot. I like the resulting look, but I hardly get it done because it fries my hair's ends. And, yes, you can go for ONLY a wash and set. They do what you want them to do, you don't have to get a blowout. They could just wrap your hair after taking the rollers out.

BTW, Dominicans are not a race. Just like Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Cubans, etc. are not a race. Dominicans can be white to black with every other mix in between. Most Dominicans are black or black/mixed that is why they are so good with "black" hair. The only difference between them and American Blacks is that they speak Spanish. Most Dominicans relax their hair because it is textured--curly, wavy or kinky.

Just wanted to clear that up.

i was going to a dominican salon for a while, they know how to get kinky hair really straight, but i found that in the long run, the heat was making my hair break. I was also kind of turned off by the way the way they ould talk about kinky hair as if it was so horrible, i dont care how good they are, i just cant stand to be around self hating black people.

Back