Doing My Own Virgin Texlax

angelmilk

As you can tell from my siggy...I can never make up my mind...:lachen:

But anyway... If I were to texlax my natural hair how should I do it? What product should I use? No lye or lye? Mix in oils?

I still want texture in it for when I air dry and I want it to all be the same texture.

Any tips? Should I post a picture of how I'd want it to look?

Thanks in advance!:bighug:

Just remember you are doing a virgin texlax so the way you apply the relaxed is different

Last edited:
What type of relaxers did your hair respond best to when you were relaxed?

When I texturized, I did better with lye and used Linange Texturizer for best results. At one point, I used Silk Elements mixed with cholesterol conditioner and had good results with that. I processed my hair in 3 sections because they needed different processing times (back needed the most time, then the front, followed by the middle).

You'll need to test sections before doing your whole head. Texturizing and texlaxing can be tricky.

The difference being that you would apply the product to the entire length of your hair - correct @Napp ?
Just remember you are doing a virgin texlax so the way you apply the relaxed is different

@Nightingale - that is a great question (me, myself and I) have no idea what my stylist used on my hair. Lye scares me - I read up on both options but forgot what the differences are. Anyone care to elaborate? Pretty please! I need different processing times as well I think. Nape area is my curly and fine but the rest is rough and ready!

Thank you @angelmilk for this original post. I fantasize about texlaxing/texturizing my hair all the time.

When I texturized, I did better with lye and used Linange Texturizer for best results. At one point, I used Silk Elements mixed with cholesterol conditioner and had good results with that. I processed my hair in 3 sections because they needed different processing times (back needed the most time, then the front, followed by the middle).

You'll need to test sections before doing your whole head. Texturizing and texlaxing can be tricky.

I used ORS lye relaxer but I believe it was too harsh..hence me going back natural. I'm thinking of using ORS no lye just because I love their other hair products. And Duh...why didn't I think of testing a section first :lachen: I have two different textures too, so I'll put it on the curliest part first.

The difference being that you would apply the product to the entire length of your hair - correct @Napp ?

@Nightingale - that is a great question (me, myself and I) have no idea what my stylist used on my hair. Lye scares me - I read up on both options but forgot what the differences are. Anyone care to elaborate? Pretty please! I need different processing times as well I think. Nape area is my curly and fine but the rest is rough and ready!

Thank you @angelmilk for this original post. I fantasize about texlaxing/texturizing my hair all the time.
No problem! I hope others join in with tips/tricks . I've wanted to texlax for a while now too.

For a virgin relaxer I would apply a few inches from the root and apply to the midshaft. then apply to the very ends and then the roots. Then do the edges last then smooth. This is how it was taught to me at school but maybe a more veteran stylist would know a shortcut.

I also love Vitale products. I got great results with their relaxers.

I like the texturized look so that's why keratin has been working for me. it's easier to touch up and get consistent curl loosening. it has a learning curve though.

A few things I would like to add that I believe would be beneficial:

- After rinsing out the relaxer and before beginning to neutralize, apply a light protein treatment and let it sit for about 5 minutes
- Do not scrunch the hair during the rinsing and neutralization process; instead, use smoothing movements from root to tip while manipulating the hair
- Let the neutralizing shampoo sit for approximately 20 minutes before rinsing
- Use a shampoo that's color coded to ensure proper neutralization
- Use a quality DC that's highly moisturizing, especially if you plan to straighten afterward
- If you opt for a no lye relaxer, use a chelating shampoo during the first wash after applying the relaxer
- Increase your protein treatments between texlaxing applications
- Forgo utensils and use your fingers for faster application while texlaxing
- Before applying the relaxer, pre-part your hair into sections and clip them individually for faster and easier application, and more uniform results
- Add a few tablespoons of something to the relaxer to lessen its effects, in addition to adding moisture, softness and shine, particularly oil and conditioner (I recommend EVOO and almond, as well as ORS Replenishing Conditioner)

For a virgin relaxer I would apply a few inches from the root and apply to the midshaft. then apply to the very ends and then the roots. Then do the edges last then smooth. This is how it was taught to me at school but maybe a more veteran stylist would know a shortcut.
Why do the ends separately?

A few things I would like to add that I believe would be beneficial:

- After rinsing out the relaxer and before beginning to neutralize, apply a light protein treatment and let it sit for about 5 minutes
- Do not scrunch the hair during the rinsing and neutralization process; instead, use smoothing movements from root to tip while manipulating the hair
- Let the neutralizing shampoo sit for approximately 20 minutes before rinsing
- Use a shampoo that's color coded to ensure proper neutralization
- Use a quality DC that's highly moisturizing, especially if you plan to straighten afterward
- If you opt for a no lye relaxer, use a chelating shampoo during the first wash after applying the relaxer
- Increase your protein treatments between texlaxing applications
- Forgo utensils and use your fingers for faster application while texlaxing
- Before applying the relaxer, pre-part your hair into sections and clip them individually for faster and easier application, and more uniform results
- Add a few tablespoons of something to the relaxer to lessen its effects, in addition to adding moisture, softness and shine, particularly oil and conditioner (I recommend EVOO and almond, as well as ORS Replenishing Conditioner)
Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

My pleasure. Additionally, place all of your products and supplies out within arms reach and think over each of the steps as you do them (write them out beforehand for greater clarity). During the wash prior to texlaxing, clarify and strengthen your hair with a good protein treatment; then, moisturize the heck out of it with a good DC.

My pleasure. Additionally, place all of your products and supplies out within arms reach and think over each of the steps as you do them (write them out beforehand for greater clarity). During the wash prior to texlaxing, clarify and strengthen your hair with a good protein treatment; then, moisturize the heck out of it with a good DC.
Ok will do!

Because, due to mechanical damage (split or tapered ends from normal handling), the perm has fewer layers to work through.

This! Plus, your ends are the oldest part of your hair, so they're the most fragile. As a result, you want to handle them as gently as possible in order to preserve and maintain them properly. If not, they will break off and leave you, and be sitting on the bathroom floor like, "I told you not to mess with me.":lol:

Back