Doesn't Amla Cause Your Hair to Revert?

Isis

I'm preparing my grocery list for the Indian/Asian market I'll be visiting this weekend and I may want to get some Amla that many of you have raved about. :)

I recently read on the Internet that it adds texture and makes the hair curl. Is that true? Are relaxed heads using it without reversion? I don't want more texture. TIA.

Isis said:
I'm preparing my grocery list for the Indian/Asian market I'll be visiting this weekend and I may want to get some Amla that many of you have raved about. :)

I recently read on the Internet that it adds texture and makes the hair curl. Is that true? Are relaxed heads using it without reversion? I don't want more texture. TIA.

I use Amla Lite oil all the time and I have never had any problems with reversion.

I have routinely used the Amla oil (regular) and it never reverted my hair. I have also used the powder, and didn't experience reversion with it either.

Isis said:

No, Isis. No reversion from Dabur Amla and Amla lite oils. Waves sometimes but no reversion. Look for Dabur bhringraj oil too, lovely cinammon scent...hard to find though.
PS..I am currently SE regular.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the powder, it does add texture but I can't speak from a relaxed perspective.

I would think that it's impossible for an oil to cause your hair to revert (or cease to become straight) since the relaxer process is a chemical reaction which could only be altered with the addition of chemicals we would never come in contact with with regular maintenance products. Actually, I don't believe in reversion...It's a myth. Once your hair has been chemically altered by the relaxer it's altered, and that's it.

Just my two cents. LOL...let me put sommin in my head and my roots go bad then maybe I'll be singing a different tune, but for now that's what I think.

Chayil

I have use the amla powder and use the amla oil reg and lite on a reg basis and never had a problem with revertion. It makes the hair darker but clarifying with help with that.

When I read your post, I immediately assumed you were talking about the powder since the oil won't make your hair curlier. I just remembered that there are some texturized (not relaxed) heads who stay away from using the powder in their henna mixes because it can enhance the curl pattern. However, you might have the same result as DLewis.

Wow ladies, I'm learning much here, thank you! It sounds like amla oil and amla powder may have different results on hair. For some reason, I thought they would have the same effect. :scratchch

Brooklyn South (I'll checkout that Dabur Bhringraj oil ), Dlewis (I remember the amla products in your album :) ) and Navsedga, I'll check out that Amla Lite oil and Dabur Amla while I'm there.

Keluric, since amla did alter your texture, perhaps it only alters natural hair...

Chayil, I've always heard that reversion is a myth, maybe reversion isn't the word to use.

Divine Inspiration, it's very interesting amla made your hair straighter. I wonder if that's temporary.

Hi Isis!!
I haven't noticed any reversion from Amla oil either but I only use the oil. Actually I was planning on using the powder tonight. Does anyone have any reviews on the Amla powder. I guess I'll do a search...

I used Hesh Amla powder in my last henna mix and my hair didn't revert. I actually listed this as a hit in the january hits/misses thread. It smelled great, darkened my ends a little and conditioned my hair. I am quite happy with it and will be using it regularly.:)

SohoHair said:
I used Hesh Amla powder in my last henna mix and my hair didn't revert. I actually listed this as a hit in the january hits/misses thread. It smelled great, darkened my ends a little and conditioned my hair. I am quite happy with it and will be using it regularly.:)

Thanks SohoHair, I'm excited to try it now! Plus the fact that it smells good, I was expecting the smell of the Amla oil.

Isis said:
Divine Inspiration, it's very interesting amla made your hair straighter. I wonder if that's temporary.

From my observations, it is. I don't notice straighter hair once I shampoo again, but I've never used it in consecutive weeks. It'd be interesting to see what the outcome was over 3-4 weeks time.

I've been using amla religiously for almost 2 months.

Every 3 days I use amla in my pre-poo mix and sit under a heat cap for 30 minutes. When the new growth starts getting unmanageable (like NOW), I put it in my hair the night before I shampoo and still add it to my pre-poo the next day.

It hasn't caused "reversion", but it does define the curl pattern of my new growth until I wash it out. I use the heavier Dabur Amla. After washing, my hair is easier to comb thru & detangle. That curl pattern is smoothed out. I agree, it gives more slip.

Last edited:
It hasn't reverted my hair. It has made my newgrowth easier to handle. As a matter of fact, the picture in my signature..the link...is my hair with Amla on it.

I've never had problems using Dabur Amla (regular) either. The only downside to me is the God awful smell. Reminds me of soiled nursing home bed sheets.:perplexed

Sistaslick said:
I've never had problems using Dabur Amla (regular) either. The only downside to me is the God awful smell. Reminds me of soiled nursing home bed sheets.:perplexed

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Kinda funny and true at the same time. :lachen:

Sistaslick said:
:eek: Well I hope you're talking about pee! :lol: :rofl:

ETA: Maybe I'll mix it with my conditioner also to mask any odor. :look:

Last edited:
Divine Inspiration said:
From my observations, it is. I don't notice straighter hair once I shampoo again, but I've never used it in consecutive weeks. It'd be interesting to see what the outcome was over 3-4 weeks time.
Thank you. I'm looking forward to this now.:yep:

GlamourGirl said:
Hi Isis!!
I haven't noticed any reversion from Amla oil either but I only use the oil. Actually I was planning on using the powder tonight. Does anyone have any reviews on the Amla powder. I guess I'll do a search...
Thank you, this is good to know. BTW, you look gorgeous in your siggy GlamourGirl! :yep:

TBeBe said:
I've been using amla religiously for almost 2 months.

Every 3 days I use amla in my pre-poo mix and sit under a heat cap for 30 minutes. When the new growth starts getting unmanageable (like NOW), I put it in my hair the night before I shampoo and still add it to my pre-poo the next day.

It hasn't caused "reversion", but it does define the curl pattern of my new growth until I wash it out. I use the heavier Dabur Amla. After washing, my hair is easier to comb thru & detangle. That curl pattern is smoothed out. I agree, it gives more slip.
This sounds like a very good pre-poo regimen, especially during the last weeks of stretching. :)

Back