Does your hair ever REST?

CurliDiva

Ok....I keep reading something that confuses me BIG time?

I know that the hair strands that we see (above the scalp) is dead - meaning that the living/growing part is the bulb within the scalp. So, why do people keep saying that they need to let their scalp "breathe"? Or that you should let your hair "rest" between styles (braids, weave, etc.)?

If they mean they want to reduce the tension from a tight pontytail or braids - I get that. But after wearing braids for weeks that should not be any tightness as your hair grows out.

Or if they mean they just want to be able to get to their scalp after wearing a weave to do a deep condition or clarifying treatment - ok I get that.

But that is not what they are writing..........

But do people really feel that their hair and/or scalp needs to REST or BREATHE?

Maybe, I'm just not getting it......how and why does your hair get some rest?

There is a resting phase during the hair growing cycle. People often need to take a break from braids because the constant tension can lead to traction allopecia. Also, remember that the extension is pulling on the hairs (especially around the edges) that too can put strain on that specific area. I find that the looser my braids get the great tension (especially around my edges) Also, using too many products too often will lead to clogged pores or will damage the follicle (i.e relaxing too often).

Last edited:
I usually mean it to be the opposite when I say "rest." I braid my hair to give it a rest from hot tools, brushes, combs, etc.

I've heard people say they remove braids and allow it to rest before relaxing, but I think its just a saying.

OT: we missed you at the meet-up on Saturday. I hope you can make it to the December brunch.

There is a resting phase during the hair growing cycle. People often need to take a break from braids because the constant tension can lead to traction allopecia. Also, remember that the extension is pulling on the hairs (especially around the edges) that too can put strain on that specific area. I find that the looser my braids get the great tension (especially around my edges) Also, using too many products too often will lead to clogged pores or will damage the follicle (i.e relaxing too often).

Hi Fabiennd,

I think people are confusing these concepts by lumping all/any of this together.

Yes - each strand goes to a growth, resting, and shedding stage, but this has nothing to do with the hair style that you wear- right?

Last edited:
Hi Fabiennd,

I think people are confusing these concepts by lumping any of this together.

Yes - each strand goes to a growth, resting, and shedding stage, but this has nothing to do with the hair style that you wear- right?

I think I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were asking asking if there is a resting phase...:lachen:. No I don't think that the actual hair that we see needs to rest....See now I'm confused:perplexed

I usually mean it to be the opposite when I say "rest." I braid my hair to give it a rest from hot tools, brushes, combs, etc.

I've heard people say they remove braids and allow it to rest before relaxing, but I think its just a saying.

OT: we missed you at the meet-up on Saturday. I hope you can make it to the December brunch.

Hey Ms. Candy!

Sorry I missed the luncheon - I have another shopping bag full of prducts to give away! :grin:

This is what I'm confused about?

PP will say that they are resting from perming with buns or resting from heat with braids, and then need to rest from braids with a bun.

If you are taking care of your hair in whatever style you wear, why do you need to REST your hair?

Like Fabiennd mentioned, if your scalp is full of products then you need to wash or clarify not let your scalp rest or breathe - right? :spinning:

Hey Ms. Candy!

Sorry I missed the luncheon - I have another shopping bag full of prducts to give away! :grin:

PP will say that they are resting from perming with buns or resting from heat with braids, and then need to rest from braids with a bun.

If you are taking care of your hair in whatever style you wear, why do you need to REST your hair?

Like Fabiennd mentioned, if your scalp is full of products then you need to wash or clarify not let your scalp rest or breathe - right? :spinning:

The only reason a person might need to let his/her scalp breath is to get rid of funk (have you ever smelled a funky/sweaty head of hair?). But a good washing will usually take care of that...:grin:

I think I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were asking asking if there is a resting phase...:lachen:. No I don't think that the actual hair that we see needs to rest....See now I'm confused:perplexed

I started thinking about this again after reviewing the braided buddies thread. The "grow-long-hair" lady (Robin) website recommend to wear braids for 2 months, then give your hair a "rest" at least a month before re-braiding.

I've seen people recommend the same concept of resting their hair wheter it is in a bun, braids, weave, etc....

I guess ....... I'm trying to figure out if there is something "fundamental" wrong/damaging with these style if our hair needs a BREAK from them.

Hey Ms. Candy!

I understand the resting from heat. It means that they are going to put their hair away (i.e. braids, weaves, etc.) in order to keep from putting heat on it. Basically they're taking a break supposedly for the health or their hair. rest=break.

The only reason a person might need to let his/her scalp breath is to get rid of funk (have you ever smelled a funky/sweaty head of hair?). But a good washing will usually take care of that...:grin:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Right!!!!!

Don't try to air out your underwear, when you really need to wash your a**!

I started thinking about this again after reviewing the braided buddies thread. The "grow-long-hair" lady (Robin) website recommend to wear braids for 2 months, then give your hair a "rest" at least a month before re-braiding.

I've seen people recommend the same concept of resting their hair wheter it is in a bun, braids, weave, etc....

I guess ....... I'm trying to figure out if there is something "fundamental" wrong/damaging with these style if our hair needs a BREAK from them.

Now I see what you meant. When I wear braids I will usually take a break in between. But this has nothing to do with the hair but more focused on giving certain parts of my my scalp some rest from the tesion. When my braids start to get loose they will start pulling on my edges and that irritates them. I take the break in between because my edges tend to get very sore. If it weren't for my edges I would get braids back to back with no "breaks" in between.

For some any stye done repeatedly non-stop can be damaging. For me bunning, whether loose or tight, wears away my edges along with wrapping. Perming wears away my nape and braids just put stress on the hair with the extra weight. After any of these my hair may need to "rest" from that style. HTH

I see....you mean if our hair strands are dead, then to the hair, there should be no difference in wearing braids, having it out, wearing buns ect. therefor there is no such thing as a rest or it doesnt need to happen if you are taking good care of your hair no matter what style its in.

If thats what you mean, i agree, because you hair doesnt know whats going on, but i think its because of things that happen in certain styles......when we wear a bun or braids, the edges may get pulled, or your hair may get weak in the spots you wear the rubberband/holder, if you wear it down, it may rub against your clothes...so i think people are giving it a rest from styles that can or might have a chance to weaken the hair, and put it in another.....in any style i think there is a chance of some stress and the hair getting weaker to any part of the hair if theres any stress on your hair or if it makes contact with anything else.

Hi,
I'm a newbie and I consider today a hair rest day. Normally It's braided or twisted and pulled back. I unraveled the braids and wet the ends and put in curlers. After the curlers came out, I finger fluffed and every darling nap is standing on its own. no pins, no scrunchies no barettes. This is the first REST its had in ages. :yep:

I love this sight. The people here are awesome!

I'm mostly 4a/b (I think) last relaxer 1992,never had extensions or a weave. Press n curl old school sometimes.
as is now - touches shoulders, stretches to APL. Longest ever -BSL

Hi,
I'm a newbie and I consider today a hair rest day. Normally It's braided or twisted and pulled back. I unraveled the braids and wet the ends and put in curlers. After the curlers came out, I finger fluffed and every darling nap is standing on its own. no pins, no scrunchies no barettes. This is the first REST its had in ages. :yep:

I'm mostly 4a/b (I think) last relaxer 1992,never had extensions or a weave. Press n curl old school sometimes.

:welcome::welcome3::welcome4:

Hi,

Welcome Loveygram! :grin:

The ladies of LHCF will steer you in the RIGHT direction!

Back