Does vitamin brand really matter?

tiffy

I purchased gnc hsn formula already and decided to try this biotin I found at target I did a float test and it passed just was wondering does it matter what brand vitamins? I might want to try some others from target especially since the biotin was 1000mcg 100 pills for $2.49 so someone please let me know if brands really makes a difference

Someone said or posted that all vitamins are made by one main company, then they are labeled with different brands and distributed. I wonder about that though because I've experienced different results with certain vitamins such as B vitamins while vitamin C I'm not as particular with the brand (although I prefer it with bioflavinoids). I've learned on this board that if there is a GMP stamp on the vitamins or Optimim(sp?) stamp, it is of the highest quality.

I would like to know this as well. The msm i usually buy I cannot find at the moment and I hate buying items online so I was wondering if maybe gnc may have it? What other vitamins does Target sells? I wouldnt expect to see msm but it could never hurt. God bless you all.

What is the float test?

I thought the way to test your vits. was to put them in a glass of vinegar and if they disolve in an hour than the chances of them disolving in your stomach (and subsequently being absorbed) was greater. I think the less "fillers" in a supplement the more likely this can occur. The main filler I can think of right now is yeast. There are others to watch out for too.

Try doing a search.

Also, adding Vit. C can increase the bioavailablity of certain vit. and minerals.

I don't really think the vitamin brand matters as much as the potency of the vitamin does. I use Wal-Mart's cheap Spring Valley line and I'm seeing good results.
smile.gif

shinyblackhair the float test is exactly what you just described you can use water of vinegar and it's not suppose to float it's suppose to sink and then dissolve in 20 min or less and my target biotin dissolved right away also for the person who asked I didn't get to spend much time in there but they had cod liver oil vitamins flaxseed I think and b5 all stood out the most I too would like to know if they got msm and I am going back probly tuesday so I will let you know
laugh.gif

Prior to switching to Freeda biotin, I would have said no. But this brand is truly superior to other brands of biotin I've tried (Solgar, Cardiovascular Research). I noticed a difference in a week!

I think what may make the difference between superior and less ineffective brands is the amount of fillers that are used in the formulation. It takes some experimentation to find a good supplement.

I was taking the walmart brand spirulina for 2 months when I
switched to the earthwise brand of spirulina I could tell the difference immediately had more energy with the earthwise brand and hair is growing like crazy.

I dont think the brand matters but the dissolve test does.
I stopped taking Centrum (the pills) and took the liquid...simply because the pills did not dissolve within the allotted amount of time.

I think the brand matters to an extent e.g

Holland and barret vitamins are filled with fillers.

On the other hand freeda is alot more absorbant

Back