Does this sound ok?

jreagins

Im on a quest to retain every millimeter of hair that grows and now that I'm in my 15 month of transitioning I've started wearing my hair in twist outs. I'm wondering if you ladies think that re-twisting my hair everynight will do more harm then good for my ends? Should I just put on a bonnet and call it a night, then re-twist every few days

At night I re-twist 10-12 twist by:

Spritzing my hair with mosture spritz (rosemary tea and aloe vera juice)
a little aussie moist
coconut oil
And then I place a perm rod on the end

Oh yeah and Ive started using more protien for strength, so I havent seen any breakage lately

P1090203-vi.jpg

P1130212-vi.jpg

Thanks ladies

retwisting every night migh be too much stress on your strands but you could try it to see how it works out but it might be too much ...

Your twist-out is beautiful.

It's good that you moisturize your hair every night. As long as your hair doesn't tangle or mat-up during the twist out then you shouldn't have any issues.

I put 8-10 twists in my hair every night and bantu knot each one of them then cover with a satin scarf. I take the twists out every morning and mostly wear a protective up-do style. Every once in a while I wear a twist out. I haven't had any issues either.

retwisting every night migh be too much stress on your strands but you could try it to see how it works out but it might be too much ...

thats what i was thinking...

Your twist-out is beautiful.

It's good that you moisturize your hair every night. As long as your hair doesn't tangle or mat-up during the twist out then you shouldn't have any issues.

I put 8-10 twists in my hair every night and bantu knot each one of them then cover with a satin scarf. I take the twists out every morning and mostly wear a protective up-do style. Every once in a while I wear a twist out. I haven't had any issues either.

Thank you! So are you completely un-raveling them and seperating?

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing the same thing with a braidout. I was going to try to give it a go for and entire week and remoisturize, seal and braid back up each night. I couldn't get past day 2:nono:. I was thinking that I was going to be worse off because each night when I remoisturized, I felt compelled to comb the kinks out (I felt that if I just remoisturized and plait back up, I would be headed for tangle city at the end of the week when I washed)

So whenever I do a braidout, I only go for about 2 days and then I rewash. My alternative is pulling my hair back into a bun and remoisturizing it and sealing daily. I can do this for an entire week and my hair is not as tangled and it's not as much stress on the hair.

BB

I HAVE to re-twist my hair every night or put it in a loose pony at the nape then put on my bonnet otherwise I wake up to a bird nest. I say you're fine as long as you're moisturizing and don't see any breakage.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with a braidout. I was going to try to give it a go for and entire week and remoisturize, seal and braid back up each night. I couldn't get past day 2:nono:. I was thinking that I was going to be worse off because each night when I remoisturized, I felt compelled to comb the kinks out (I felt that if I just remoisturized and plait back up, I would be headed for tangle city at the end of the week when I washed)

So whenever I do a braidout, I only go for about 2 days and then I rewash. My alternative is pulling my hair back into a bun and remoisturizing it and sealing daily. I can do this for an entire week and my hair is not as tangled and it's not as much stress on the hair.

BB

thanks BB I love my twistouts!!!

I HAVE to re-twist my hair every night or put it in a loose pony at the nape then put on my bonnet otherwise I wake up to a bird nest. I say you're fine as long as you're moisturizing and don't see any breakage.

no breakage.. i'll see

I think retwisting your hair ever day is necessary. I think that like maybe once a week should be good enough. If you think that you need to retwist it everyday. You may need to find another hairstyle to do . Everyday to me is over manipulation.:grin::ohwell:

I think retwisting your hair ever day is necessary. I think that like maybe once a week should be good enough. If you think that you need to retwist it everyday. You may need to find another hairstyle to do . Everyday to me is over manipulation.:grin::ohwell:

makes sense... thanks.. i've gone back to rollersetting once a week

I rebraid my hair almost every night for braid outs. I only detangle once a week after my DC.

I don't think of it as over manipulation because I don't comb my hair. I just dampen it a little, fingercomb it, put some moisturizer in, put a little oil in and braid it.

I don't know... do you all really think it's too much manipulation even if you don't comb?:perplexed

In any case, I'm going to be continuing to do what I've been doing. :yep:

I just didn't think of my regimen as extreme manipulation.

Back