Does the Retailer's Website or Product Labels Affect Your Buying Habits?

BEAUTYU2U

I notice that I subconsciously buy from product lines with attractive labeling (wording) or for online sales, if I don't like the website, I'm less likely to buy their products. For instance, I hate the look of the KBB site. I know a lot of women (and men) here who studied marketing won't be surprised by this at all.

Does anyone else like to chime in? Sorry, if this has been discussed before. :grin:

What's KBB?
I'm the same way. The labeling has to be chic or cute for me to purchase it with regards to hair products. Online site doesn't have to be spectacular. With food items, it doesn't matter.

Hell yeah! If it ain't cute and your site looks bootleg, NEXT! Your bootleg site could mean I'm getting scammed and well, I just don't like ugly things. Smell and descriptive words on the back of the product are a bonus though. :grin:

this is how I am with body stuff! If it says 'cream' or 'creme' or something to do with milk? I'm all over it! And the packaging of a hair product can lure me as well. Like that Carol's Daughter hair milk stuff. Just ordered some last week because I thought the packaging was cute haha and..well, I was searching for a cone free moisturizer and it fit the bill :) If the label includes something like 'ultra moisturizing' or 'deep moisture' I'm usually pretty quick to buy it.

I feel the same way, but this could be because I am a web designer lol. A website is the online image of your company. It should be done professionally and be easy to navigate. Also, label packaging design is important too. The right label says to me, "I cared enough about my companies image to invest in having my label designed and printed by a professional, & not to make them myself in Microsoft Word." You have to invest in your business. It is something not to be taken lightly.

I feel the same way, but this could be because I am a web designer lol. A website is the online image of your company. It should be done professionally and be easy to navigate. Also, label packaging design is important too. The right label says to me, "I cared enough about my companies image to invest in having my label designed and printed by a professional, & not to make them myself in Microsoft Word." You have to invest in your business. It is something not to be taken lightly.

:yep: + a big Monique "Yuh - Esss!"

I have to be able to easily navigate the website, find the list of ingredients (its amazing how many companies don't list ingredients for their products) and find out the shipping cost before I'm remotely interested in buying products from a particular site.

It would have to take stellar reviews from fellow forum members for me to be interested in purchasing products from a company who doesn't have their ish together.

yeah i dont buy from ghetto/bootleg looking sites that look like little to no effort was put into it...i'm not asking for some elaborate flash-enabled website, but hairdrenalin.com is an example of what your site should NOT look like...i also hate cheap looking labels (mostly an issue with natural/homemade products)...i realize professional packaging my be expensive for small businesses, but i think the return is well worth the investment.

yeah i dont buy from ghetto/bootleg looking sites that look like little to no effort was put into it...i'm not asking for some elaborate flash-enabled website, but hairdrenalin.com is an example of what your site should NOT look like...i also hate cheap looking labels (mostly an issue with natural/homemade products)...i realize professional packaging my be expensive for small businesses, but i think the return is well worth the investment.

See, I just went on hairdrenalin.com website and I didn't know what the heck they were selling. It was confusing to navigate and after about 10 seconds I clicked out of there.

Last edited:
It has to be really attractive to me as well. If that doesn't look good or at least professional, what would the product be like? It's not something I'd want to use then.

As for online - the shipping is really important, as well as the ingredients listing of the product.

See, I just went on hairdrenalin.com website and I didn't know what the heck they were selling. It was confusing to navigate and after about 10 seconds I clicked out of there.

Same here. It looked like a bottle of extract.

I am not necessarily picky about how a product looks (label, container, etc.). However, the website shouldn't look like its a fly by night or made last night by someone unfamiliar with web pages. Of course a secure page for transactions is necessary.

As far as natural based products and whatnot, it's a bonus to see the consistency of the product in pictures. Darcy's Botanicals does a great job with that. The more description the product has, the better.

Same here. It looked like a bottle of extract.

I am not necessarily picky about how a product looks (label, container, etc.). However, the website shouldn't look like its a fly by night or made last night by someone unfamiliar with web pages. Of course a secure page for transactions is necessary.

Yes, that is totally a "Web 1.0" website. It looks like someone put it together in 1995 with 1995 technology. As a former eTailer, there are so many cost effective options out there today for putting together a website that's easy to navigate, professional and safe (for the customer) website. It just takes a little bit of research.

Last edited:
OP I used to be like that. If the site looked bootleg or the product labels weren't appealing I wouldn't buy it. Now I only go by product reviews and recommendations. It can be the ugliest site in the world, but if I see many people recommend it I will go ahead and buy anyway.

I love Darcy's Botanicals website, but I've read too many reviews of the products not having any scent (that's a big no no for me) and that it didn't work for their hair. So unless I hear otherwise I won't be buying from that site.

I'm like that too. When it comes to hair products I want things that look clean and yummy. So when I went to a hair store a few months ago I saw some Karens Body Beautiful. I walked away very quickly. Did not stop to see what the products were or anything. The packaging was ugly. I think it was black with gold words or something. Looks like a men's line. Granted, it could have very well been the men's line lol but it was over with the women's stuff sooo...pass. I like hairvedas color schemes. It's clean looking to me. No stuff floating across the screen or insane colors everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

For Me it Does.:look:

If it's hard to Nagivate through or Check Out is complicated, I hate that.

If I really want the stuff I'll struggle through it and try to figure it out. :look:

Otherwise I'm Peace-Out and on to the next thing. :lol:

And a Discount Never Hurts either.:look:

Website look is a big thing. Also if you have spelling errors on your site or correspondence (Facebook/Twitter etc) it kinda makes me wonder- if you don't put effort into little things like that- did you miss any small details with my product?

Also, a lack of ingredients is a huge turn off. I don't want to buy your product only to receive it and realize have a tub of virtually the same thing at home already.

I try my hardest not to judge a book BUT BUT BUT if your website makes me feel like someone in an alley with a trench coat trying to sell me a gold watch for "five g's cheif" (in my hustle man voice) then I'm out like roaches when the lights come on!!!!

I will admit, I have been drawn in by pretty labels. I've gotten better since LHCF, but I still feel the desire. :lol:

Websites don't have to be super flashy, I still look them up on the BBB, I still see what people say about them on the net, etc. I do distrust ratchet looking websites.

Back