Does the quality of hot hair from a dryer affects the texture of hair?

NYDee

I have noticed that whenever I visit a salon my hair feels so soft like feather after the rollers are removed. I used to think it was the blow drying but even when I don't get it blow dried it still very soft compared to when I use my own hooded dryer or bonnet dryer. My hair feels especially dry whenever I use a bonnet dryer.

I read the description of some professional hooded dryers and it said they are conditioning and the portable dryers I found didn't say this. I wonder if this has something to do with the result I'm getting. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wish I could find a professional dryer that is easy to store.

I have noticed that whenever I visit a salon my hair feels so soft like feather after the rollers are removed. I used to think it was the blow drying but even when I don't get it blow dried it still very soft compared to when I use my own hooded dryer or bonnet dryer. My hair feels especially dry whenever I use a bonnet dryer.

I read the description of some professional hooded dryers and it said they are conditioning and the portable dryers I found didn't say this. I wonder if this has something to do with the result I'm getting. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wish I could find a professional dryer that is easy to store.

According to a conversation I had with a store owner, the portable folding hooded dryers have too small of a motor. So we usually compensate by sitting under it either longer or at a hotter temp or a combo of the two.

This would account for some of the differences you experience. Personally I have a portable IONIC hood dryer that was supposed to awesome. But I have found the results less than stellar.

Yes it does. My hair always dries better at the salon (under a pibbs kwik dry) than at home (under something similar to pibbs venus). Both dryers definitely dry better than a bonnet dryer for me.

The dryer may not be the only thing - you also need to consider products and technique. What did you do to your hair before you got under the dryer? Generally when you go to a salon, they use a stripping/harsh shampoo, followed by a rinse out conditioner and very few products are put on the hair before they rollerset. You'll also notice that the stylists are very stingy with the amount of product they use on your hair - more is not always better. All of this contributes to the soft, bouncy finish.

You also need to select the correct heat setting and length of time for your hair. A stylist once told me that if you check your hair for dryness and you think "two more minutes", it's time to turn off the dryer since the extra two minutes will actually dehydrate your hair. You simply allow your hair to "cool off" for 5 to 10 minutes before removing the rollers. I have used this method ever since and I've been able to get similar results to the salon, while at home.

ETA - My hair is relaxed - SL, fine strands, medium density and I usually spend approx 45 minutes under the bonnet dryer.

Last edited:
Back