Does Surge cause long term damage?

bellydancer

I was talking to my sister about Surge (she's addicted to this site too) and she talked about the irritation that Surge causes to the skin if it isn't rinsed out daily (or almost daily). She said if it's burning people's skin then it has to be causing some damage to the hair and possibly could break it down over time. What is everyone else's view on this.

Also, Surge is one of those "too good to be true" products. This leads me to think that there has got to be SOMETHING wrong with it!
Thanks ladies

I just started using Surge and it hasnt burned my scalp at all. I dont think it's true.

well. . .its possible. we dont know yet, i guess. thats why i take a break between purchasing bottles. ya never know.

you know what, glad u started this thread girlie. i was having nitemares bout this surge, it had made my scalp extremely dry and irritable. i think im just gona use it once a week when i wash and rollerset.

i do think it will lead to long term damage is we use if twice a day everyday of our lives
ohwell.gif
or at least for a loooooong time. some'ting just dont seem rite about this stuff, gotta check it out
sekret.gif

This is very possible, I am not to keen on leaving things on my scalp except for natural oils. I tried the surge and it does cause some irritations( itching and scratching ) but I would not use it daily because it does contain some hazardous chemicals..someone did a very good post about this. Look it up
smile.gif

I've been using surge for over 6 months. I had problems with big, nasty flakes when I was spraying twice a day. But since I'm only spraying once a day everything is fine. I always spray surge on the scalp and then follow with s-curl.

I use surge twice a day for the past month and have no problems. I spray and let it dry and then follow with a moisturiser. I also wash every monday and thursday and everything has been fine.

[ QUOTE ]
atlien said:
This is very possible, I am not to keen on leaving things on my scalp except for natural oils. I tried the surge and it does cause some irritations( itching and scratching ) but I would not use it daily because it does contain some hazardous chemicals..someone did a very good post about this. Look it up
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been using surge for months and it has alot of protein that is why you use it on shampooed hair. BTW what is the hazardous chemicals? I don't see anything in it that I have not seen in other products.

I don't use Surge, but I can't imagine that the same thing isn't true of it, that's true of most products. It will not work the same way for the same people. For people who got the irritation (and in the grand scheme I don't think it was a large precentage of the people here who tried it) it's probably not a good match for them, and for THEM it might cause long term damage. For people who are using it and have had long term success, that's proably not true....

There was a large post about this a few days ago where Surge caused quite a bit of damage. I had bought it that day and to be honest, now I'm too scared to use it. I have a sensitive scalp and normal hair that doesn't need any oil on the scalp. I don't want to start oiling my scalp in order to use a product that might cause irritation.
nono.gif

I've heard that lots of people have success with this product but the stories I heard about the irritation are enough to make me not use it now.
What it sounds like is if you have a sensitive scalp, this might not be the product for you.

I to have been using Surge and i must admit that i take breaks from time to time. After i get my perm i don't use it tell i start seeing new growth... then i stop 2weeks before i get my perm...i don't spray it directly on my scalp i spray on the start of the hair to the tip of the hair then i wrap my hair and spray the wrap..but some people might be irritated to surge because it has biotin

I agree with Tracy. The same thing can be said about other things you use whether it be cosmetics, hair dyes, perfumes, detergents, drugs, etc. Some people will react to it because they are just sensitive to the ingredients and some will not. I have been using it for quite awhile and haven't had any type of reaction to it.

I have a very sensitive scalp and tho I don't use Surge regularly, but when I did try it for a week or two, I didn't get any irritation from it.

I stopped using it because I'm lazy and forgetful.

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to product sensitivity. It depends completely on the person.

I've been using it 2x daily (sometimes I don't have the time to spray 2x) for the past 3 weeks with no adverse effect only speedy new growth coming along. I do wash my hair atleast 2x a week though.

I think you should listen to your hair. I also believe that just because you don't experience any adverse scalp rections to a product, doesn't mean that it won't damage your hair in the long run. For example, some products that may dry my hair out might never even cause any effect to my scalp. Now, I don't use surge or even know the ingredients, but I do know that different heads of hair need different things, and it's up to the individual to assess the costs, such as possible poor scalp health, poor hair health, dryness, etc vs the benefits such as increased growth rate or better overall health of hair.

it doesn't irritate me at all. I'm going to continue using it because the benefits are just crazy! It hasn't caused any dryness or burning to me. I guess it is a "miracle" product.

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
it doesn't irritate me at all. I'm going to continue using it because the benefits are just crazy! It hasn't caused any dryness or burning to me. I guess it is a "miracle" product.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA
smile.gif

it doesn't bother me. i dont have large flakes (or really any at all on my scalp). i'm really loving it cause i've noticed a lot more new growth since i started using it.

I have been using Surge since oct of last year with no problems I spray my scalp twice a day.
I just started spraying my hair twice a day with Surge also
good results so far.

For those that experienced sensitivity, perhaps using a product that has the same active ingredient (mucopolysaccharide) found in Surge might be helpful. The aloe vera plant has substantial amounts of mpolys.

Try a google search on "mucopolysaccharide aloe" to learn the connection.

HTH!

I was using surge on my natural hair with no problems when i washed it every day, but now i have braids and i wash once a week and with the build up it causes problems, so now i only use it twice a week once on the day i wash and once in the middle of the week. no irritation since.

I use surge when I get cornrows 9 or 10 weeks into my relaxer, and when I used it the first time I used it as the bottole said and got my wonderful surge results after taking out my braids. I cant wait to put my braids back in so I can start surging again. hey, what works for some might not work for others.

I use Surge often on my scalp and hair, no damage whatsoever, even though my scalp is sensitive. Maybe there's an ingredient in there that causes an allergic reaction in some people.

[ QUOTE ]
axon12 said:
Where can I find surge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tai said this in another thread:
For those trying to find surge, if you click on the link on this page, you'll see a 1-800 number. If you give them a zipcode, they'll give you the BSS nearest you that has Surge. They'll even give you the address and their phone numbers so you can be sure they stock it before you head out to the BSS.

You can also email them your zip code and they'll find stores near you that carry Surge products! The email address is [email protected]
wink.gif

http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/aloe_b.htm If you want to research re: aloe barbadenis which is listed as a poisonous house plant. Could there be a connection to the reaction, since this is called the "burn plant"? Obviously, "aloes" is a broad term> When I use the powdered aloes from the health food store in hair concoctions, that stuff is so powerful, I can taste it on my skin for days. Since there is the aloes connection....who knows...may be extreme sensitivity for some depending on the aloes and the people. Just my opinion...Bonjour.

Back