Does Summer Heat Make Your Hair Drier

Summer Heat makes hair drier

• Yes

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

levette

I believe so as my hair feels so dry these days even after moisturizing... The 90 and above heat has my hair feeling brittle

I live in a pretty humid area and my hair very moisturized. I wear wash n goes predominantly and I wet my hair everyday. So those maybe contributing factors as well.

I find that it does dry my hair out on those really hot days. I'll either wear a hat or tie my head with a scarf to go out.

It does on the very hot days and when the sun is full blast. It's usually very humid here but this summer has been a bit mild. I've been water rinsing every other day to help it out. In the winter I can make it every 3 to 4 days. I'm out in the sun quite a bit.

Yes because it's the time of year when my hair is the most exposed. And, living in a hot climate doesn't help.

It's so humid here that I could have ashy hands, walk outside, and feel the skin loosen up from pulling moisture out of the air. They won't even look ashy anymore.

This heat doesn't dry my hair out because it's accompanied by the extreme humidity. But I can imagine how staying in the sun for extended periods (which sunburns hair) or living near dry heat could damage it.

For me it's not the heat, its the sun that causes the most damage. My hair and skin is pretty sensitive to the sun so I have to be pretty careful especially since I've been working outside these past few weeks. I love being in the sun, but my hair dries out and lightens pretty fast with minimal sun exposure. Also my hairline is the first place that burns. To combat this, I mix a sunscreen with minimal ingredients in my leave-ins and wear a sun hat for as long as I could stand it.

ETA My hair did dry out somewhat when I visited family in the Southwest despite the fact I kept my sunhat glued to my head the entire time. It definitely was from the dry climate.

For me it's not the heat, its the sun that causes the most damage. My hair and skin is pretty sensitive to the sun so I have to be pretty careful especially since I've been working outside these past few weeks. I love being in the sun, but my hair dries out and lightens pretty fast with minimal sun exposure. Also my hairline is the first place that burns. To combat this, I mix a sunscreen with minimal ingredients in my leave-ins and wear a sun hat for as long as I could stand it.

ETA My hair did dry out somewhat when I visited family in the Southwest despite the fact I kept my sunhat glued to my head the entire time. It definitely was from the dry climate.

My hair fades in the sun too. I wear hats when its hot out but never thought about mixing a sunscreen with a leave-in. Do you use a barrier or chemical sunscreen?

My hair fades in the sun too. I wear hats when its hot out but never thought about mixing a sunscreen with a leave-in. Do you use a barrier or chemical sunscreen?
I just use a very basic chemical sunscreen (Wegman's brand 30 SPF). I vaguely remember hearing that barrier sunscreens work better on the hair, but I've yet to try it. I think I started doing this last year or the year before... I remember a dermatologist telling me ages ago that sunscreen is effective on hair and seeing a special about it on some talk show last year.

Depends on the head of hair and products being used, but summer heat in a dry climate, yes; high humidity, no.

Back