Does some oils make your hair feel softer than others??

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I'm on my cowash and airdry kick. I usually seal the moisturising conditioner that I leave on my airdrying hair with castor oil- I have some in my drawer at work, but not at home- so I only apply it once I get to work. My hair always feels REALLY soft once my hair dries. This morning, I tried to do this, but with coconut oil that I had at home. When my hair began to dry, it wasn't soft like with castor oil. When I noticed this, I applied some castor oil over the coconut oil and now my hair is hella soft again... crazy, huh? Have you noticed that your hair feels softer when using certain oils too?

I'm the exact opposite. Coconut oil makes my hair feel soft while castor oil (If I use too much) makes my hair sticky and dry...:perplexed

I've tried coconut oil, castor oil, vatika oil, marula oil, evoo, hemp seed oil and they all failed me in the softness category...good for dc treatments.

Euro oil is the only oil I have found which softens my hair. I don't need to moisturize, add oil to my hair nor ends before I wash again (2x wk).

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the consistency of the oils. Since you're applying a thicker oil to wet hair, more of the oil is survivng drying process. Whereas coconut oil, is thinner and more probably drips off with the water leaving less in your hair. That's just what I was thinking... Call me crazy :)

Personally, I tend to sway towards thick oils. Recently, I was reintroduced to castor oil and was pleasantly surprised. I've also tried sweet almond and avocado oils which were nnniiicccceeee.

I'm the exact opposite. Coconut oil makes my hair feel soft while castor oil (If I use too much) makes my hair sticky and dry...:perplexed

Same here! Castor oil never really worked on my hair. It gives it shine but it always seems to end up sticky and crunchy on the ends. I think for me, castor oil needs to be cut by another lighter oil. I've tried mixing olive oil with castor oill and it seems to work better than just straight castor oil.

Castor Oil and I have a wonderful relationship. My CO treats my hair so good. I went back to using it and it is so soft and thick. :grin:

My favorite leave-in oil is coconut oil hands down. Straight castor oil doesn't absorb well in my hair for some reason. Jojoba oil is also really good to me. I love olive oil most for DTs though.

Camellia, avocado and monoi* work well for me and give me soft, silky hair. Avocado even detangles my hair. My secondary oils are meadowfoam, hemp and sunflower. Just two nights ago, I tried the coconut oil again (I am just determined, for some reason, to get the results others get with coconut oil) and again it dried out my heart terribly. Castor makes my hair very tacky and gummy, the same with Emu, although all are great added to conditioners.

*Monoi is coconut oil and macerated tiare flowers, but it does not have the same effect on my hair as coconut oil - go figure!

Olive is my all time fav!

coconut is nice but not as soft for me as olive, I still like the smell and how light it is, it has it's place

jojoba is aight, I prefer it on my skin

castor is :nono:, it's too thick and makes my hair feel sticky like straw. I used it for a long time to seal my ends but it just weighs down my hair and makes it feel uh-uh! I'll mix it with other stuff to get rid of it then I probably won't repurchase.

Since I have been using castor oil and distilled water to rollerset my hair on shampoo days, I get the softest curls ever! I place 1 teaspoon of castor oil in a spray bottle-fill the bottle 3/4 full with distilled water. Shake often, because oil and water do not mix! Spray each section with the castor oil mix lightly on sopping wet hair before rolling. Dry as usual. Your curls will be soft and bouncy!!:newbie:

Since I have been using castor oil and distilled water to rollerset my hair on shampoo days, I get the softest curls ever! I place 1 teaspoon of castor oil in a spray bottle-fill the bottle 3/4 full with distilled water. Shake often, because oil and water do not mix! Spray each section with the castor oil mix lightly on sopping wet hair before rolling. Dry as usual. Your curls will be soft and bouncy!!:newbie:

I could do without oils as far as my hair is concerned...however Kemi Oyl is the only oil that actually *works* in my hair and I notice an immediate difference of softness and moisture (sealing in the water after I co wash). And of course they dont bother to list the ingredients on the bottle:rolleyes:

Castor makes my hair soft instantly! Its kinda greasy but whenever i apply it to my scalp it makes some of my hair close to the scalp soft its great!!
Hm, but coconut oil makes my hair healthier i think. Castor oil is only a temporary softness while coconut oil is a long-lasting healthy shine and moisturization.

I favor olive oil and kemi-oyl. There's been a lot of rave on here about coconut oil so i definitely wanna try that out...

Coconut oil makes my hair feel thick and it lays really well. Castor oil DOES make my hair and skin feel very soft.

I'm on my cowash and airdry kick. I usually seal the moisturising conditioner that I leave on my airdrying hair with castor oil- I have some in my drawer at work, but not at home- so I only apply it once I get to work. My hair always feels REALLY soft once my hair dries. This morning, I tried to do this, but with coconut oil that I had at home. When my hair began to dry, it wasn't soft like with castor oil. When I noticed this, I applied some castor oil over the coconut oil and now my hair is hella soft again... crazy, huh? Have you noticed that your hair feels softer when using certain oils too?

Jojoba oil is my hairs oil of choice. I'd use caster oil if it weren't so darn sticky and I didn't get a hella lot of buildup.

-A

Back