Does Silicones removal = Sodium laureth sulfate?

tmrskltn

Ok so im more of a lurker than a poster, but i have a question. I know a lot of u ladies use products w silicone, my question is does ur hair stop responding at some point? and is so how long does it take? And also what r u ladies doing to get rid of the silicone build-up? I personally seem very sensitive to silicones, hair stops responding to other products very quickly. I want to use some of the cond's everyone seems to love, but it seems like they all contain silicaone! Please Help! :wallbash:

As far as I know sulfates are the only way to remove silicone. Whenever I use anything with silicone I make sure to use a sulfate shampoo to remove it because I don't want it blocking out my moisturizers or conditioners.

As far as I know sulfates are the only way to remove silicone. Whenever I use anything with silicone I make sure to use a sulfate shampoo to remove it because I don't want it blocking out my moisturizers or conditioners.

I agree with this entire post.

I read to use a chelating shampoo. I used a neutralizing shampoo and my hair was right back to normal - no build up, response to conditioner great!

so do you ladies wash and then reapply the silicone products again? I would love to find a good deep con n leave in w no cones? Any suggestions?

I personally seem very sensitive to silicones, hair stops responding to other products very quickly. I want to use some of the cond's everyone seems to love, but it seems like they all contain silicaone! Please Help!

I hear you...I don't like the way silicones feel on my hair, either. There are many products that people rave about that I'd like to try, but as soon as I read the ingredient list and see a 'cone, I say forget it. Saves me a lot of money on trying different products...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that ACV rinses might remove cones. I know that on Anita Grant's website, she says that you need to do an ACV rinse before using her Babassu shampoo bars, because the naturl soap will not remove silicones. Here's what she says:

ACV is GREAT for getting rid of scalp build up, residue, silicones (aka: polymer plastic) & curing dandruff! Why?
ACV contains malic acid & enzymes that kill the bacteria called "bottle bacillus".
Bottle bacillus works with silica & polymer based shampoos & conditioners to clog the hair follicles forming dry crusts & thick film to develop on the hair & scalp. ACV breaks down the film & crusts, dissolves excess fatty deposits that form on top of the Bottle Bacillus.

In addition to this, ACV has been proven to be very effective in balancing the pH levels of scalp tissues, removing product build up, dirt and controlling dandruff.

About synthetic silica & polymers:
1. Synthetic silicones are derived from polymers - a plastic soft gel like substance
2. Synthetic silica is derived from sand.
Both are used in commercial shampoos & conditioners and are hard to remove from hair & scalp.

Our gentle Babassu shampoo bars *can not* remove polymers & silica.

Only shampoos with loads of SLS, ALES or SLES can remove polymers & silica but then you are just stripping your hair of it's natural oils (sebum) leaving it dry. You'll need a polymer based conditioner to artificially coat the hair and scalp.
However, most commercial brands contain a silicone like dimethicone, propylene glycol or cyclomethicone, sodium polyacrylate or some type of synthetic polymer plastic coating.
Then you're back to full circle again.

A simple home treatment for dandruff and an itchy scalp is a topical application of ACV.
You can either:
1. Apply full strength ACV directly to the scalp, massage it in, and leave on for 30 seconds to 1 minute before you Babassu.

OR

2. Used as a final rinse to clarify your scalp.
Mix:
1 part of apple cider vinegar
3 parts warm water
Then pour the mixture over your hair and scalp - making sure that you avoid the eye area. Massage for 5 minutes then rinse with warm water.

so do you ladies wash and then reapply the silicone products again? I would love to find a good deep con n leave in w no cones? Any suggestions?

Hairveda conditioners
Aubrey Organics
Giovanni Smooth As Silk
Elucence Moisture Balance (works wonderfully as a leave-in)

Here is a link that I found that explains the different silicones and how to remove them:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones
There is another article by the Curl Chemist, which states that "Despite the fact that it is water insoluble, amodimethicone has been found to resist the formation of build up, and most users have reported excellent results with products containing amodimethicone, even if they use a shampoo-free regimen."

I wonder how that works--for those who use amodimethicone but don't use harsh shampoos, does the cone just stay on the hair permanently with no ill effects? The conflicting information is kind of confusing for me.

Back