does relaxers=long hair?

erikab20

I am two years natural and a few months ago I let go of my micro braids and headed back to the shop for my bi weekly press and curl. My goal is to grow my hair back to it’s original thick texture and as long as possible. But I’m confused because it seems to me that most, not all, of they women on every hair board I belong to with super long hair has a relaxer. Do you think having a relaxer helps you reach longer lengths?

No! If anything it sort of makes it harder to grow longer (from the higher chance of increased breakage and other negatives that can come with using harsh chemicals).

Maybe the texture of the hair is what makes it looks shorter. My hair is below bra strap, but in it's "natural" state it's only a little past shoulder length.

I'm texturized btw. My hair looks exactly the same as it would when it isn't texturized, but it is less coarse and easy to straighten.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
It's just shrinkage that makes natural hair look shorter.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

Erika, you should click on this thread and this thread to get some inspiration from long-haired naturals.
smile.gif

I agree. Relaxers in no way help with length goals. Those that have a relaxer have to work harder to maintain their length because of the chemicals that the hair has had to withstand. But since a relaxer straightens your hair from it's very wavy, curly, or coily state, naturally your hair will appear longer. You'd get the same result with a press because that also straightens your hair. Be careful with presses though if you ever want to wear your hair in it's natural state as too much heat can 'cause permanent damage and change of hair texture.

It sure didn't help mine. All it did was turn my already dryness-prone hair into desiccated straw that practically broke off by the handfuls.

~Rochelle.
Rose.gif

[ QUOTE ]
erikab20 said:
I am two years natural and a few months ago I let go of my micro braids and headed back to the shop for my bi weekly press and curl. My goal is to grow my hair back to it’s original thick texture and as long as possible. But I’m confused because it seems to me that most, not all, of they women on every hair board I belong to with super long hair has a relaxer. Do you think having a relaxer helps you reach longer lengths?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take one good look at an elementary school in Chicago and you find my answer.

The ladies in my family (my mom and sister) had longish hair at one time when they were natural. But after having relaxers and not having healthy hair habits, they both have short and unhealthy hair.

I'm the only one who still has long hair out of the three of us, and I've always been natural. So I would say the answer is that relaxers do not equal long hair. (At least not in my family)

not in my family either, all my aunts that have thier natural hair are all waist length, or almost waist length. everyone who is relaxed seems to have hair shoulder lenght or shorter. its def not impossible to grow long hair while relaxed but i personally feel its a bit harder than maintaining an retaining growth versus natural hair.

Having healthy hair habits will help you to grow long hair. Relaxers will help you to show the LENGTH of your hair. Natural hair often has shrinkage where as relaxed hair does not.

I'd add that the only one in my family with long-ish hair is natural. All of the rest have short broken, constant weave/braid wearing hair. They are all relaxed.

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
Having healthy hair habits will help you to grow long hair. Relaxers will help you to show the LENGTH of your hair. Natural hair often has shrinkage where as relaxed hair does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA- with an emphasis on HEALTHY HAIR HABITS. When your hair is healthy it will grow b/c it will more manageable . Relaxed hair seems to equal length b/c it makes curly coarse hair more manageable. Just like pressing. Many find their natural hair manageable, but b/c they take care of it and it is HEALTHY.

I have a relaxer and my hair has grown by leap and bounds b/c it is easier (for me) to take care of.

Back