Does one beauty routine hurt your hair??????????

swimfan09

I was checking my hair this morning - I am relaxed and I just used Ojon products - most of my hair feels fantastic! But I was noticing that my front edges are thinning, especially around the temples! aarrgghh!!!

I use protective styles, almost never use heat (I am talking no more that 1-2X a YEAR)...I wear my hair in a pony tail that is not tight. So I was wondering what could be causing the thinning...

I have started using Philosophy's microdermabrasion system for my face. it is a great product but I wonder if the acid in the product has been migrating to my edges and disolving hair! I even try to watch not getting sunblock all the way to the edges.

So I am going to stop using the microdermabrasion and see what happens.

Does something in your beauty routine hurt your hair? And vice versa - does a hair routine hurt your skin? Just curious.

I started using a headband and placing it on my hairline to make sure that my facial cleanser does not touch my hairline. This has helped a lot.

I used to go to spas to get micro and a clay mask treatment and I could feel them peeling of my hair around my edges when they were removing the mask! Never agian...:nono:

wet buns after cowashing was giving me excessive breakage, but I am transitioning so that may be why. Maybe when i'm all natural it won't be the case.

I was checking my hair this morning - I am relaxed and I just used Ojon products - most of my hair feels fantastic! But I was noticing that my front edges are thinning, especially around the temples! aarrgghh!!!

I use protective styles, almost never use heat (I am talking no more that 1-2X a YEAR)...I wear my hair in a pony tail that is not tight. So I was wondering what could be causing the thinning...

I have started using Philosophy's microdermabrasion system for my face. it is a great product but I wonder if the acid in the product has been migrating to my edges and disolving hair! I even try to watch not getting sunblock all the way to the edges.

So I am going to stop using the microdermabrasion and see what happens.

Does something in your beauty routine hurt your hair? And vice versa - does a hair routine hurt your skin? Just curious.

Do you use a brush to pull your hair back? When you do touch ups, are you relaxing the edges last?

Hi Jazala! I have always used a brush to pull back my hair - for many years - but it is only recently that I have noticed the thinning. I have used the same stylist for many years and she always relaxes from back to front. I have never had a really tight and smooth ponytail and I try not to pull it tightly.

This is a recent phenomenon and the only thing I have been doing recently that is different is the microdermabrasion - great for my face, bad for the hair.

I may have to try the headband, Caribgirl - thanks! - I have been simply putting a baggie on my head while I shower (if I am not washing hair) or doing facial stuff and maybe that has not been enough to protect the hairline.

Back