• YES

Votes: 33 14.3%
  • NO

Votes: 121 52.6%
  • IDK

Votes: 76 33.0%

• Total voters

Prettyeyes

I have always been a long stretcher 13-26 weeks. But I have to admit that my hair isn't as cute as I would like. I wonder can I get the same growth without the stretching so I can wear my hair down more with less hassle. I am starting to feel frumpy. ANY pictures of non-stretchers hair? OR if you think stretching is the truth let me know! I am at a crossroads and I don't know which way to go!!!!

Last edited:
Long stretches is not for everyone. I had to learn the hard way. I am almost 10 weeks and I think this will be it. Maybe you should try 13 weeks and see how you like it. If it doesn't work you know that you have to stretch, but if it does then good.

I'm just kind of thinking if I can get the same growth and not have to deal with these two textures hat would be better, IDK.

I dont think that stretching means faster growth. I just think that stretching mainly helps with the overlapping which results in hair getting over processed. Also people like to see NG. Others have said that they notice that their hair gets fuller!! But hair is going to grow with or with out stretching. I dont do long stretches unless I am wearing a weave, but if my hair is out I stretch to 10 weeks (dominican blow outs) and thats it. I love my hair to look good!

My hair just grows slow, I don't know what to make it do to grow faster:lachen: I have stretched 32 weeks before. I might as well go natural, nah I like it straight and silky. Although my hair is so much thicker and healthier w/ out relaxers, but anywhoo...don't know if stretching slows my growth.

I dont think that stretching means faster growth. I just think that stretching mainly helps with the overlapping which results in hair getting over processed. Also people like to see NG. Others have said that they notice that their hair gets fuller!! But hair is going to grow with or with out stretching. I dont do long stretches unless I am wearing a weave, but if my hair is out I stretch to 10 weeks (dominican blow outs) and thats it. I love my hair to look good!
I know that's right. But since i stretch so much mine rarely looks it's best.Mostly just a bun.

I agree, stretching does not effect how much growth you get. It merely helps you avoid overlapping from relaxers. My hair did get thicker from stretching, but thats simply because I wasnt overlapping and overprocessing anymore. :yep:

I agree, stretching does not effect how much growth you get. It merely helps you avoid overlapping from relaxers. My hair did get thicker from stretching, but thats simply because I wasnt overlapping and overprocessing anymore. :yep:

Agreed. Your growth rate is your growth rate. Stretching or not stretching isn't going to affect it in any way.

I don't think that it slows your growth but I also don't think that it causes the hair to grow much faster either.

I learned through experience that stretching isn't necessarily good for my hair in the long run. My new growth gets really dry, brittle and tight after about 5 weeks. I have tried so many different products to soften it but after a certain point nothing really helps.

The one time I tried stretching 8 weeks, my hair started breaking like crazy in the week or two leading up to my relaxer and then when I finally went to go get the relaxer, my stylist had such a hard time parting my hair to get the relaxer through it that I lost a lot more hair through that process. Stretching can help with overprocessing but stretching longer than what your hair type will allow may cause you to lose more hair (through breakage) than what you have tried to gain by stretching.

No, it doesn't. I retouch every 8-10 weeks, which works great for me because by the time my hair starts to look poofy (compared to the texlaxed hair), it's time for my retouch. I have stretched as long as 14 weeks, but that's just not for me...I was looking crazy that last few weeks. :nono: I just enjoy my hair more when it looks good. :grin:

No, it doesn't. I retouch every 8-10 weeks, which works great for me because by the time my hair starts to look poofy (compared to the texlaxed hair), it's time for my retouch. I have stretched as long as 14 weeks, but that's just not for me...I was looking crazy that last few weeks. :nono: I just enjoy my hair more when it looks good. :grin:

ITA with this entire post. I stretched for an entire year, and I didn't see much growth because I had to manipulate my hair soooo much to get it to look decent and when I went for touch ups, stylists had to chop off all my growth because my ends were ruined. I'm not going to stretch 12-14 weeks anymore because I can't deal with it the way I would like and it just makes me happier when my hair looks nice.

I don't stretch. My NG is really really NAPPY in the middle of the hair by 8-9 weeks and I just can't take the stretch past 10 weeks. I keep up with my moisture and protein balance and my hair reaches the middle of my should blades in the back now. I don't think I need to stretch to improve growth.

Good luck!

I have always been a long stretcher 13-26 weeks. But I have to admit that my hair isn't as cute as I would like. I wonder can I get the same growth without the stretching so I can wear my hair down more with less hassle. I am starting to feel frumpy. ANY pictures of non-stretchers hair? OR if you think stretching is the truth let me know! I am at a crossroads and I don't know which way to go!!!!

HA!!! Tell me about it!! I'm almost 10 weeks post, and I'm feeling frumpy as well. LOL!! :lol:

I don't know what to do. I see most girls with silky healthy-looking hair looking "on point" for 360 days out of the year, and meanwhile, my "wash-n-go" looks a HOT mess! :lachen: Even my "braidout" that I did last night turned into a frizzy mess this morning. Ummm....not cute!

I don't know what to do... :( I'm sick of stretching, but it's the only thing that helps my fine hair....

12 week stretcher here :look:.

Not stretching doesn't slow my growth, but it does make it harder to see actual progress from my last relaxer.

Last edited:
I don't know. stretching is not for me. True, my hair gets thicker as I stretch, but thick broken hair is not cute. My hair broke all over.

I don't think that it slows your growth but I also don't think that it causes the hair to grow much faster either.

I learned through experience that stretching isn't necessarily good for my hair in the long run. My new growth gets really dry, brittle and tight after about 5 weeks. I have tried so many different products to soften it but after a certain point nothing really helps.

The one time I tried stretching 8 weeks, my hair started breaking like crazy in the week or two leading up to my relaxer and then when I finally went to go get the relaxer, my stylist had such a hard time parting my hair to get the relaxer through it that I lost a lot more hair through that process. Stretching can help with overprocessing but stretching longer than what your hair type will allow may cause you to lose more hair (through breakage) than what you have tried to gain by stretching.
you are absolutely right!!! , at some point the hair becomes weak , the ng causes too much stress on the relaxed hair , when trying to manipulate the ng , the relaxed ends start to pop off , depending on hair type.

I am goin on 10 weeks my newgrowth totally out of control, i am using more heat than ever with plenty of oil.my hair is so brittle /dry more products im usig for softness.my next relaxer hopely SEPT 14 (BIRTHDAY) i dont think i am make it

The ladies are right. The growth will not stop either way. But for me, I like the thickness and retention I have gained from stretching.

I'm in the minority. I can get my hair to look cute, just with different styles, during different stages. It took me a LOT of trial and error to figure out how, and so I can relate to your remark about feeling frumpy. But I have grown to love the challenge, and learning new ways to look cute and stretch successfully. Stretching gets easier as your hair gains length. And I am one of those who really does love looking at new growth. :grin:

Last edited:
I voted No.
:look:I'm currently stretching to give my scalp a break from my former routine of retouching every 4-5 weeks.
It does help with the maintenace of the hair in that it keeps me from over processing my fine stranded hair.

I tried stretching but soon realized that it's not for me. I can't go over 10 weeks successfully. I lose too much much hair from the demarcation line. The only way I can do this successfully is to do so in braids or a weave where I can manipulate my hair at all, but no other way.

Hmm I stretched for 16 weeks for my last stretch..and got a trim during the time. I got touched up about 3 weeks ago and I swear my hair has grown more in the last three weeks than the entire stretch..but that could be due to other stuff though.. I'm not stretching more than 3 months anymore..that's a personal decision.

Honestly, if youre feelin frumps, you should just relax sooner... no need to have your hair feeling you down.

I agree. You have to do what works for you---I am approximately 7 months post relaxer and I am just not feeling my hair!!! :nono: Unfortunately, I just got color so I will have to wait a little bit longer.:wallbash:

Girl, just wear a half wig and call it a day :yep:

And I vote no on the question. I agree with CandieC. Retention is the real issue with most ppl, IMO.

Stretching is not for everybody, but it sure as h3ll did work for me!
I honestly think it helped thicken up my hair and along with other methods, the health of my hair improved a lot.

No. The longest I've stretched my 4B hair was 12-wks. It was job trying to maintain the two textures. I will go no longer than 8-wks tops!

Back