Does Natural Hair need to be deep conditioned?

Country gal

I don't use conditioners in my natural hair like I did for my relaxed hair. Should I be using a conditioner with every wash? The hair stylist that did my twists told me I could just use olive oil as a hot oil treatment once a month.

I would stop using shampoo before I stopped using conditioner. Natural hair is dry by nature and needs constant moisture to be in its best condition and retain elasticity. Conditioning is still super important. If your hair is healthy you can probably forgo protein deep conditioners and those formulated to repair, but moisturizing conditioners are still a must..imo.

You should definitely condition with each wash/rinse and try to do a deep condition every now and then too. :)

A lot of folks do the "curly girl" method (from a book written by a white woman with curly hair--directed at all curlies, black and white) where thye don't use traditional shampoo with its harsh, dryness enducing ingredients (doesn't affect everyone the same way though). Some just wash their hair with conditioner or use a cleanser like Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream (what I use), the Oyin Grad Poo Bar, etc. :)

If you use shampoo regularly then you should definately deep condition. I don't use shampoo any more but I still deep condition after I clarify. So I would say yes, but hey maybe you could get away with not deep conditioning.

I deep condtion often too. I was getting bad split ends after my BC. So I started deep conditioning more often (sometimes 3 times a week) in addition to detangling at least twice a week with a conditioning spray and they've gotten better.

I deep condition everytime I wash (unless I'm conditioner washing). It works out better for me to do so.:)

I think it depends on what you do to your hair on a daily basis. When my daughter's ends became crispy, that's when I found the boards. Once I deep conditioned her hair on a more consistent basis, her ends improved. But now I hardly ever deep condition her hair because I spray her hair every day with a conditioner and water mixture. It stays super soft and moisturized. I was thinking I needed to deep condition my hair since I haven't done it in a while but since I started spritzing my hair with the same mixture, it just doesn't feel the same and I don't think I need to deep condition. I also rarely use shampoo, but if I did, I would deep condition it afterward. That's what I'm planning this weekend - well that's what I'm planning for my husband to do. LOL!

GodMadeMePretty said:
I think it depends on what you do to your hair on a daily basis. When my daughter's ends became crispy, that's when I found the boards. Once I deep conditioned her hair on a more consistent basis, her ends improved. But now I hardly ever deep condition her hair because I spray her hair every day with a conditioner and water mixture. It stays super soft and moisturized. I was thinking I needed to deep condition my hair since I haven't done it in a while but since I started spritzing my hair with the same mixture, it just doesn't feel the same and I don't think I need to deep condition. I also rarely use shampoo, but if I did, I would deep condition it afterward. That's what I'm planning this weekend - well that's what I'm planning for my husband to do. LOL!

Okay, so give it up! What's the mix and how do you use it?

i think conditioner with each wash is important!! even if u use shampoo...especially if you use a shampoo....deep conditioning i do once a week....my hair juss needs it...

naptrl said:
Okay, so give it up! What's the mix and how do you use it?
It's just regular conditioner mixed with water. It's about 2 ounces of conditioner to 6 ounces of water. Sometimes a bit more conditioner. I put this in a spray bottle and just spray it on every day.

Thanks for the responses. So it seems you definitely condition but not shampoo your natural hair. I guess you clean it by doing a conditioner wash.

I deep condition about every 1.5-2 months. Not as frequent as I should be doing :(. But I clarify 1x a week and conditioner wash about everyday.

Yes, definitely. I deep condition at least every 1.5-2 months. My hair loves it if I do it more often.

i do the deep conditioner with plastic cap for 1 hr thing at least 1-2x a month. the other weeks i just do an instant conditioner for 2-5 min. but yes natural hair does need deep conditioning.

As a natural head, I deep condition on a regular basis, usually twice a month. Those are about the only times I will allow shampoo on all of my hair.

sbaker said:
Thanks for the responses. So it seems you definitely condition but not shampoo your natural hair. I guess you clean it by doing a conditioner wash.

I think this depends. My hair needs and loves shampoo. But I only shampoo 2-3 times a month because I don't use a lot of products and I rinse my hair with water only frequently. I also use sulfate-free shampoo so it's not drying to my hair at all. If you don't shampoo, you're going to have to clarify your scalp some kind of way or the conditioner washing could lead to build-up.

This is an interesting question. I never used conditioners as a child, but maybe children's hair by nature is more moisturized. I don't believe I had any split ends, but my mother was scissorhappy and cut my 'fro a couple of times a year - if not more often than that.
Nowadays I don't think I could manage my hair without my weekly deep conditioner.

mkstar826 said:
I think this depends. My hair needs and loves shampoo. But I only shampoo 2-3 times a month because I don't use a lot of products and I rinse my hair with water only frequently. I also use sulfate-free shampoo so it's not drying to my hair at all. If you don't shampoo, you're going to have to clarify your scalp some kind of way or the conditioner washing could lead to build-up.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

Sbaker, I knew that you were going natural but I didn't know if you had done the big chop or not. Have you? If so, congrats! :)

Back