Does Matting Increase with Length?

prettypithy

I’ve been happily natural since February. I transitioned for almost two years so I was SL when I started. I’m a little past APL now. I detangle once a week with plenty of conditioner for slip. I finger comb. But lately, it seems like I’ve had way more mattes and tangles. I have not changed my regimen and my hair is soft and otherwise thriving. Does longer hair just matte more? Or do I need to re-evaluate my regimen?

ETA: 4a/3c, fine strands, densely packed.

Last edited:
Maybe as your hair is getting longer, you aren't getting shed hairs out as easily or as effectively as you did at SL. My hair may tangle when I need a trim but it only matts if I don't get the shed hairs out.

empressri I'd tend to agree except the matting is occurring at the root and I just had a trim in September, hence my confusion as to why this is happening.

Oooh okay gotcha. I was assuming it was maybe midshaft down to your ends.

Fingercombing has never gotten out all of my shed hair. And when shed hair remains behind it mats up at my ends. Maybe it's doing that at your roots.

I have this same issue. What I'm gonna try to do is do an oil rinse. Hopefully that alleviates my matting issue.

Have you ever done oil rinsing? Has that helped you with tangles before?

You will have to start detangling more, and use different size combs to get the shed/breakage hairs from tip to root, then back to root to tip. I don't use brushes, so I can't say much about their effectiveness.

You will have to start detangling more, and use different size combs to get the shed/breakage hairs from tip to root, then back to root to tip. I don't use brushes, so I can't say much about their effectiveness.

@**SaSSy** I agree. Thanks for the tips!

Part of the issue could maybe be the change in seasons (even though you did go fully natural back in February). Is your area of Cali getting cold and dry outside? If so, and you're using products with lots of humectants (like glycerin), your hair could be drier and more tangle prone because the humectants are now causing your hair to lose moisture (instead of drawing moisture to your hair).

I also agree that it could be shed hairs getting tangled in your strands.

Back