Does it feel good...

blueabyss333

...to pull your hair like you're pulling it out of your head instead of scratching? Does that sound strange? Sometimes it feels really good to me to grab a handful of roots and tug.:confused:

It does, but the bald spot you might produce will not look good (trust me, I know).

According to Nicole Elizabeth Smith Healthy Black Hair book, hair tugging is not a bad thing. Hair tugging is actually a yoga pose used to increase circulation to the scalp and stimulate growth and it feels good. Hair tugging should only be performed on dry hair. Make certain you pull from the scalp and not the ends.

Oops I forgot to add the instructions.

Grasp a handful of hair at the scalp and tug gently. Use firm pressure; you should feel it but it shouldn't hurt! Hold for a second or two, then tug in the hair in another direction. Hold and release. Repeat all over your head, concentrating on thin areas.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Oops I forgot to add the instructions.

Grasp a handful of hair at the scalp and tug gently. Use firm pressure; you should feel it but it shouldn't hurt! Hold for a second or two, then tug in the hair in another direction. Hold and release. Repeat all over your head, concentrating on thin areas.

OMG, I didn't know that tugging your hair was a part of yoga! Does it increase growth? Just wondering. Wow, I think I'll do this tonight, thanks!

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
According to Nicole Elizabeth Smith Healthy Black Hair book, hair tugging is not a bad thing. Hair tugging is actually a yoga pose used to increase circulation to the scalp and stimulate growth and it feels good. Hair tugging should only be performed on dry hair. Make certain you pull from the scalp and not the ends.

you beat me to it. i lightly tug my hair all the time. it's a great stimulant.

i don't tug on my hair cause:
1. i look like i should be committed
2. it puts uncessary stress on my strands

i'm trying to leave my hair alone. try scalp massages. they help relieve the itch

oh yeah, I do this all the time - esp, when I have twists in..... I'll tug on a twist firmly - not hard enough to pull it out (not nearly) or hard enough to hurt, but just hard enough to 'wake' my scalp up.

Yes, I do gently tug on sections of my hair at the root. I think it helps to increase blood flow. Scalp massages just make my head itch.

I include hair pulling/tugging in my scalp massages all the time. Its funny I came across this thread becuz a couple of days ago, one of my clients, a male one at that started moaning and all that when I did it.

Talk about uncomfortable! :perplexed

I tried it (the yoga tugging). Nothing... :ohwell:

There is a spot on the back of my head I like to push when I have a headache though.

Yup, sure does feel good. I don't do it when my head is itchign though. Sometimes I just grab some hair and pull it and it feels... I don't know how to explain it but it feels nice. The feeling isn't always the same though so sometimes when I do it, I'm disappointed.

My husband asks me to do that all the time and it drives me crazy!! The harder I pull, the more he's like "oh yeah":confused: . Really sick.

And now that his hair is thinning, I don't have much to pull any more and so the few strands he has cuts my hands.

Also, I don't let him play in my hair because he doesn't understand that I DON'T LIKE THAT!! Sometimes when he plays in my hair, I hear my hair snapping and I get mad.

Back