Does green tea help hair growth?

HairQueen said:
What does green tea do for the hair does it make it stronger / grow faster? Has anyone tried it?

I should have hair down to my feet because I drink green tea just about every night before going to bed. I have been doing this for over a year, but its mainly for health reasons.

Not sure, as (some) green tea contains caffeine which counteracts against your hair and nail vitamins. Off to look this up... :user:

I've been a green tea drinker for years but I haven't noticed a difference in my hair. Not that I drink it for that reason only. I happen to really, really like it. It does seem to be a great dieuretic (bad spelling, sorry). It will help take off unwanted pounds.

Well green tea is extremely healthy overall but not sure about hair growth. Now lemongrass tea is reported to be good for strong and healthy hair. I just started drinking this regularly(using leaves from my lemongrass plant) so I can see for myself the results. Although I'm also taking vitamins and other herbs for hairgrowth so it will be hard to tell what is responsible for what!

Green tea is supposed to be great for the skin. I started drinking it regularly and I have noticed a big difference. Im not sure if it helps with hair.

I drink decaffeinated green tea for health reasons. I buy mine from Trader's Joe and I love the way it tastes.

I don't think green tea does anything for hair. However, it has great anti-oxydants properties. I always drink green tea after eating too much desserts because it helps balance my system and helps counteract the negative effects of too much sweets.

Lorraine said:
Not sure, as (some) green tea contains caffeine which counteracts against your hair and nail vitamins. Off to look this up... :user:
I've learned that the little bit of caffeine in green tea is actually good for you and makes the health benefits of the green tea more potent. The body processes this differently than when drinking coffee, for example.

I drink green tea every day - different varieties from China and Japan. I know it has a great effect on my health. I would have to isolate things to see how it effects my hair specifically. I'm sippin' on some Bancha tea right now...

I have a book somewhere called "Green Tea" but of course I can't find it when I need it. :lol:

Okay, I hav ben taking green tea for months and it has done nothing to dramatically speed up hair growth. Oh well.

I notice green tea is being added to everything these days, including hair products and is good for our hair's health. I looked for my Green Tea book but couldn't find it yet. I know it has something in there for hair.

Here is some info I found:

http://www.follicle.com/section3/3_4.html
Green Tea
Green Tea has been well documented for its therapeutic effects, and it is known to contain powerful antioxidants called polyphenols which scavenge free radicals. Other components of Green Tea include caretenoids which are another group of natural antioxidants. Recently there has been some suggestion that Green Tea has an anti-androgenic effect on the body similar to that of Saw Palmetto. There are also Shampoos available that contain Green Tea Extract because of its beneficial effects on hair and skin.
The polyphenols in Green Tea are powerful anti-oxidants which scavenge for free radicals. And in some studies the Green Tea extract has been shown to inhibit male hormones which are considered to be the underlying cause of androgenic alopecia.

http://www.add-hair.com/green-tea-dht.htm\
Green Tea DHT
Green Tea is an excellent herbal dht blocker. It is an extremely powerful anti-oxidant. Green tea reduces dht and cholesterol. It is believed that drinking the tea or taking a pill extract can stop hair loss and facilitate re-growth. Green tea contains flavonols and catechins, substances that have been found to have significant antioxidant, antitumor, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties.

http://www.edamura.com/health.htm
Green tea is gaining in popularity in the west, not only because it's oishii, but also because it is purported to fight cancer, prevent baldness and aid in concentration.

Polyphenols; the primary biological active ingredient of green tea which are powerful antioxidants (catechins). Antioxidants counteract free radicals in the body, which are purported to contribute to cancer. In addition, polyphenols have been shown to help increase the white blood cell count which fight infection
Vitamins and Nutrients; including vitamin C, trace amounts of Vitamins B1, B2 and K, niacin, and folic acid.
Minerals; Green tea is also a good source of manganese and potassium

HairQueen said:
What does green tea do for the hair does it make it stronger / grow faster? Has anyone tried it?

Green tea helps to cleanse and detox the body. So I guess the hair would benefit from this somehow. Anything that is ridding the body of toxins is always good IMO.

I drink it alternate mornings, the caffeine keeps me awake too:)

I don't think green tea have any significant impact on hair, i use to drink about 2-3 cups a day (not for my hair thou), my hair has grown at its normal growth rate of 1/2 inch with or without the tea.

confused_one said:
I don't think green tea have any significant impact on hair, i use to drink about 2-3 cups a day (not for my hair thou), my hair has grown at its normal growth rate of 1/2 inch with or without the tea.
Does the condition of your hair look any better? I've learned the green tea we drink needs to have the polyphenols in it. Taking standardized green tea extract could be a better idea.

Last edited:
I just started drinking green tea for my skin, but it's a super bonus if it can help prevent baldness. My maternal side has an issue with thinning hair in the crown after a certain age :shocked:

I drink decaffinated green tea (TenRen brand) almost every day and i have not noticed any significant impact on my hair, but then i wasnt using it to benefit my hair anyway

Back