Does Giovanni shampoo strip your hair?

KeishaT

I would like to start using their 50/50 and smooth as silk shampoo and conditioners. I am currently natural but I have yet to cross over to all natural shampoos b/c I feel they will strip my hair.

Kello KeishaT,
All shampoo's with sulfates strip hair. Try washing your hair with just conditioner only. The conditioners do not have sulfates.

DH hated Giovanni 50/50 poo & condish. We got it on sale at Costco. It dried his hair out something awful. He has long dread locks.

I ended up giving it away to a coworker.

I tried and liked the Smooth as Silk Shampoo. That and Elucence MB work well on my hair. Giovanni's shampoos don't contain sulfates.

oooh I did not know that Giovani's did not have sulfates. Good to know. Learn something new every day :0).

I love the 50/50 conditioner. The shampoo stripped my hair like every other shampoo I have tried (regardless of the ingredients) besides CON.

I have problems with Giovanni shampoo too. I used the Smooth as Silk 'poo and my head was hard as a rock. The conditioner is ok - that works well in my hair.

But the 50/50 & Tea Tree conditioners didn't work well AT ALL. Only the Smooth as Silk gave me slip.

would the fact that you are natural or relaxed make a difference? I'm natural but I know all natural shampoos didn't work well with my relaxed hair

I LOVED the smooth as silk deeper moisture conditioner. Great DC and cowash.

I never used the shampoo because it has Olefin Sulfonate. Olefin does the same thing as other surfactants like SLS, it's just considered "natural". Depending on the head, your hair will still probably end up stripped.

Alternatives:
1. Castille soap. I would dilute it with water (like 1/4 soap, 3/4 water) and maybe a little oil. I felt that castille soap dried my hair out badly but other people have a lot of success with it (ex: samanthajones67, naturalgurl).

2. Baking soda. Now I use a mix of baking soda and water to wash my hair which works really well. Surprisingly, my hair doesn't feel stripped, hard, or dry afterward. Another way to use it is to mix it with your favorite conditioner...leaves you with moisturized clean hair.

3. Wen Cleansing Conditioner. Expensive, but works well. Especially if you cowash a lot. It's a conditioner that cleans at the same time. The Fig is touted as the best for AA hair. I had to stop using them because they were expensive, not natural enough for me (though they do have really great ingredients), and I swear every single one smelled like cough syrup. But, lots of people here love Wen. There's a really long thread about it.

Last edited:
My hair use to love Smooth As Silk but it doesn't seem to be working now. I'm going to try one more time.

I use to use the 50/50 poo and it stripped and tangled my hair everytime. I am now using Joico poos (sulfates) with very good results. Sometimes sulfate free poos can be just as harsh IMHO.

I am Natural and the Tea Tree stripped me and my daughters hair, so Now I use a Conditioning Shampoo followed by a Conditioner and my hair is soft, All Natural shampoos don't work all that good either, My sister used the Giovannis shampoo and it stripped her hair and she is Relaxed, the Conditionerisn't all that good to me either, I like the Giovanni Leave In though.

I used the Giovanni Smooth as Silk poo and condish on my dd's hair and it seems to do okay. But when I used the poo on my hair, it did feel stripped. The condish work great. Just bought the Tea Tree Triple Threat condish to try. We'll see.

I've used the Giovanni 50/50, magnetic, and tea tree treat and the have ALL stripped my relaxed hair. Left it feeling a hard tangled mess!! I now jus use them on my scalp and castille soap on my strands

I'm hearing alot about this direct leave-in, this must be a really great product

OMG!!! Giovanni Direct Leave In is the bomb!!! :yep:

I'll even baggy my ends with it at nite when my hair needs the moisture. I use it as my moisturizer and then seal with coconut oil. Gosh...so many uses for this stuff.:lick:

I also use the Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo, and the Smooth as silk conditioner. The shampoo is great. It doesn't strip my relaxed head at all.

Back