Does Flyaway Hair = Damaged Hair???

NYCQT16

Natural Again
My hair is constantly flying away! I can rarely wear a straight style because before I get to end of the block it's like my hair has taken off and is sticking up. My hair will not lay flat no matter how much product I may try to "lay it down". It is only after a salon visit (which I barely do) when my hair lays flat. This even happens if I wrap it at night. Does that mean my hair is damaged?

Usually, flyaway hair means it needs moisture. Do you have a good moisturizing conditioner to use after washing your hair? Are you using a daily moisturizer or a daily leave-in conditioner?

ETA: I posted a while back about fabric softener sheets which will instantly tame flyaway hair. Just pass a sheet over your hair. I haven't needed to do this but it's supposed to work very well. It's a quick fix though - it's best to keep your hair moisturized every day.

Last edited:
My mother has this problem. Her hair never lays flat. It's extremely healthy but it's really fine. No matter what products she uses it still won't lay down.

flyaway hair doesn't mean damaged hair. ;)

this just means you have light, soft, feathery, fine textured hair or something. i'm natural and have flyaway hairs too! it amazes me! if you want it to lay down, you'll probably need to add a moisturizer, serum, or oil to your hair.

hth!

Poohbear said:
flyaway hair doesn't mean damaged hair. ;)

this just means you have light, soft, feathery, fine textured hair or something. i'm natural and have flyaway hairs too! it amazes me! if you want it to lay down, you'll probably need to add a moisturizer, serum, or oil to your hair.

hth!

I agree! :) It sounds like your hair is just really light, fine, and soft, which is probably why you are having this "problem". I put "problem" in quotes simply because I don't see "fly away" hair as a negative, per se. When I go to the stylist, I deliberately avoid any oil sheen or other products that they like to use, as it tends to weigh my hair down. I love the bounciness, and I love how my hair blows in the wind as I walk outside. So I enjoy this product-free hair for a few days, before I begin my MTG regimen and start looking like a slick, grease monkey. :lachen:

[Or..... by "fly away hair that doesn't lay down", are you referring to hair that sticks up, and is stiff with little movement? That is a different issue altogether, and Im really not sure what the root of that is. The only time my hair ever gets that stiff look is when it needs to be washed.]

Well in terms of the fly-away hair.... I would probably try a bit of oil sheen, which will naturally weigh it down a little bit while also moisturizing. I think you'll probably lose a bit of the bounce/wispiness that way, so it shouldnt fly away so much when you walk outside or around.

Thank you ladies!!! I definitely feel better!! Sorry for not replying earlier..I was away for my friend's wedding!

To answer Isis....I do use a mositurizing conditioner. I haven't found one yet that I love to death but I do use one. I also use a daily mositurizer...Profectiv or Surge Woogee

Whenever I get my hair straightened it does the exact same thing. No matter how much serum and oil I put, my straight hair ends up in a ponytail:ohwell:

Back