Does Elastic Hair Need Protein?

I think that is what it means....when it stretches and doesnt yet break. I would try a gentle protein first.hth

My hair was so elastic yesterday, so I used Nexxus Keraphix, and my hair felt better! I can't use heavy proteins because my hair hates them.

Isnt elastic hair supposed to be good? When my hair is springy and doesnt pop, I take it as a sign that there is an even balance between moisture and protein. However, if I pull it and it breaks too easily, but not in a brittle way, that (to me) means that it needs more protein. Do you guys know what I am talking about?

goldensensation said:
Isnt elastic hair supposed to be good? When my hair is springy and doesnt pop, I take it as a sign that there is an even balance between moisture and protein. However, if I pull it and it breaks too easily, but not in a brittle way, that (to me) means that it needs more protein. Do you guys know what I am talking about?

That means your hair has good elasticity. If the hair breaks but it is soft like you described (at least that's the way I interpreted it) then, yes, the hair needs more protein.

Last edited:
as i was combing my hair I felt it stretch, then pop. :eek:

i did not get a chance to do a treatment last night, but i will do one tonight or tomorrow.
my hair is soo dry right now...

Soon after I noticed my hair was very elastic, it began to shed like crazy and I tried everything I knew to stop it. Finally I went to a stylist and she suggested Apoghee treatments, which of course is a strong protein treatment. That did the trick after about 2 or 3 consecutive treatments. I thought my hair was really healthy because it was so springy, but it actually was a mess.:lol:

I think elasticity in hair is good. That's when the hair wont immediately break if you pull it.
I think elastic hair is bad though. That's when you pull a strand and it stretches really far and doesn't go back! My hair was like this when I bleached it. (It was kind of fun to pull shed strands though!)
A few protein treatments improved it.

goldensensation said:

Elastic hair is good, but when your hair has too much elasticity, it means that you need more protein.

Back