Does Chlorella and Spirulina cause shedding? 'ELP!!

Superfly Sister

Because since being back on the chl and spir wagon for the past few weeks I've noticed I'm shedding heavily :( especially when I'm washing my hair :nono: the amount of hair I see on the shower comb is shocking (to me it is at least!)

I eat well, take suppliments and don't brush/comb my hair excessively. I wrap my hair up when I go to sleep.

Is there anything I can do to curb the shedding?

There are people that swear by black tea rinses to stop hair shedding.
1. You boil about 8 ounces of water. Turn of the stove.
2. Add a tea bag of black tea. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or until cool enough to pour on your head.
3. Wash your hair as you normally would
4. Use the tea as your final rinse

I have been taking both Chlorella and spirulina for about 6 weeks and I have not noticed excessive shedding. How much of it are you taking? Spirulina is high in vitamin A (beta carotene). Excessive use of vitamin A has been known to cause hairloss. So if you are taking high doses of spirulina and eating excessive amounts of other things that have Vitamin A (ex: carrots) then that may be your problem.

Another thing is some people have an increase in shedding with a change in seasons. Have you changed a particular product lately? Had a major stressful event in the last four months? Addition or change in medication?

There are people that swear by black tea rinses to stop hair shedding.
1. You boil about 8 ounces of water. Turn of the stove.
2. Add a tea bag of black tea. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or until cool enough to pour on your head.
3. Wash your hair as you normally would
4. Use the tea as your final rinse

I have been taking both Chlorella and spirulina for about 6 weeks and I have not noticed excessive shedding. How much of it are you taking? Spirulina is high in vitamin A (beta carotene). Excessive use of vitamin A has been known to cause hairloss. So if you are taking high doses of spirulina and eating excessive amounts of other things that have Vitamin A (ex: carrots) then that may be your problem.

Another thing is some people have an increase in shedding with a change in seasons. Have you changed a particular product lately? Had a major stressful event in the last four months? Addition or change in medication?

Thank you for taking the time to respond NicWhite, I appreciate it.

I think I might try the tea rinse. thank you for the recomendation!

I take a teaspoon of spirulina and half a tea spoon of chlorella every morning with fruit juice. I think I might start looking in to my diet, I've been pretty healthy over the past couple of months.

As for season changes, the weather has suddenly gotten colder in bonnie Scotland and it's been raining more. I haven't changed my products, I've been using various products from Herbal Essences, Silk Eliments and Organix for over a year and I've had no problems (so far). As for stress... trying to find a full time job since July, a problem flatmate. :ohwell: I don't take any medication, no ailments at all.

I keep hydrated, I eat well, work out reguarly...maybe something to do with sweat? I've noticed my hair being drier too.

I hope this will pass :( my pony tail doesn't feel as thick as it used to :(

I don't think the cho /spri should produce shedding. In fact it should help with the hair. Maybe it's just the weather. Out here I drink alot of "Naked Juice" it's a 100% pure juice drink. The green machine contains alot of Ch & spri but I've never noticed a problem with my hair. Maybe it's something else in your diet. Or maybe your lacking calcium or carbs.

In a word YES it can do. My nutritionist warned me against this. What you must realise is that Chl & Sp are grown or farmed in water and are at the bottom of the food chain so absorb everything from their surroundings i.e. the good and the bad. As such you could be reaping the benfits or paying the price. In particular heavy metals and PCB poisoning which are known to cause hair loss.

If you must take chlorella take the Yamaeya variety (Japanese) which is farmed in clean fresh flowing water and so much better for you.

BTW what Brands are you currently taking?

Bumping this. I lost way too much hair after only having my hair in twists for 27 days. The only change I made was re-introducing spirulina back into my supplement intake :nono:

Back