Does baking soda work as a chelating agent when used on hair..

cocoagirl

to remove calcium buildup or will I need to use a chelating shampoo such as ORS aloe rid? i.e. does baking soda just remove buildup but not calcium?

Thanks beautifuls!

to remove calcium buildup or will I need to use a chelating shampoo such as ORS aloe rid? i.e. does baking soda just remove buildup but not calcium?

Thanks beautifuls!

I've never heard baking soda used as a chelator.....but I dunno. I just found out a few weeks ago that citric acid acts as a chelator....

I haven't heard of anything natural that works for chelating yet. I thought baking soda was a mild clarifier (mild meaning, doesn't strip the hair). Correct me if I'm wrong ladies.

me either. I have been goggling natural chelators and no such luck.

Citric Acid is a natural chelator.

Water softening

Citric acid's ability to chelate metals makes it useful in soaps and laundry detergents. By chelating the metals in hard water, it lets these cleaners produce foam and work better without need for water softening. In a similar manner, citric acid is used to regenerate the ion exchange materials used in water softeners by stripping off the accumulated metal ions as citrate complexes.

Thanks beautifuls!

Although, I have never tried Lanza chleating swim shampoo i'm very interested in it(mostly for my niece who has been having scalp issue lately). It claims to be sulfate and EDTA free and it also claims that rice is a natural chleator. The only drawback is that it is about twenty bucks. HTH

So a bottle of lemon juice and distilled water should do it, right?

I don't know - I doubt that it will work as well, because the citric acid is highly diluted in the lemon juice....hrrm. I don't know. It might be just harsh enough to strip your hair, but not strong enough to actually chelate. Or, it might work like a dream.
I usually use the straight stuff - you can usually find it in the grocery store as 'Pickling Salt'. FNWL and Lotioncrafters has it for about 2 bucks a pound or something equally cheap.

I don't know - I doubt that it will work as well, because the citric acid is highly diluted in the lemon juice....hrrm. I don't know. It might be just harsh enough to strip your hair, but not strong enough to actually chelate. Or, it might work like a dream.
I usually use the straight stuff - you can usually find it in the grocery store as 'Pickling Salt'. FNWL and Lotioncrafters has it for about 2 bucks a pound or something equally cheap.

Thanks chica. I think I'll try it this weekend:yep: I'll try both the lemon juice and later the pickling salt.

I haven't heard of anything natural that works for chelating yet. I thought baking soda was a mild clarifier (mild meaning, doesn't strip the hair). Correct me if I'm wrong ladies.

Yup I was just gonna post this. I would just go on and get the correct poo. I also have a shower filter,
509519752.jpg

Looks just like this. For $17.00 it's really helped with the hard water in my area, and now I feel that I only have to clarify, not remove calcium deposits/buildup.

Yup I was just gonna post this. I would just go on and get the correct poo. I also have a shower filter,
509519752.jpg

Looks just like this. For $17.00 it's really helped with the hard water in my area, and now I feel that I only have to clarify, not remove calcium deposits/buildup.

Thank you, I will be taking this advice. I have been torn between Lanza (sulfate-free) and Joico chelating (PH balanced 4.5-5.5). They both sound so good.

Back