Does Anyone Use HARSH ingredients on a regular basis?

Extremus

Such as:

SLS
mineral oil
petroleum
alcohol
cones (maybe)

...etc etc and still has healthy hair?

I ask b/c I bought some Ayurvedic oils and all of them had mineral oil as the second ingredient! :wallbash::mad: I didn't even bother to look at the ingredients before buying it for 1) I was so hyped to finally find these oils 2) since they were Indian/Ayurvedic oils, they wouldn't have harsh ingredients :rolleyes:

</whispers> some of my favorite products contain propylene glycol. it doesn't stop me from using them on my hair (not scalp) if i feel like it. :look: <ends whisper>.

I suppose.. I never read the back of the jars.:look:I know
for sure I use stuff with SLS& cones.

As picky as my hair is,if I started grilling products based
on ingredients would only have one or two things,if that.

half of those arent harsh dear

theres a misconception that those ingredients inhibit hair growth and blah blah blah
not really sure where it all started from

but it stemmed from one individual experience

that sparked these ingredients being labelled as harsh

SLS (ok this pretty harsh, a better alternative is ALS)
mineral oil not harsh at all - it will not harm your hair in any way do not believe the hype - i am proof, my hair didnt stop growing break or anything - just SOME individuals do not like it - just like one would like keracare and not motions
petroleum not harsh at all - read above
alcohol alcohol can help some ingredients penetrate the hair shaft
cones (maybe) not harsh, just inhibits ingredients penetrating the hair shaft - which can be a good or bad thing - once you use cones, they can easily be removed with shampoo and besides diemethycone (sorry i cannot spell) is water soluble therefore has no negetive effect on the hair shaft watsoever

I use sulfur 8 weekly and I dont feel guitly. The first ingreident is Petrolatum and I dont care! I have eczema and its the only thing that has worked. Plus it has tri-sumthin in it which is supposed to aid in a healthy growing environment (in addition to the sulfur). As far as products I use on the hair shaft, as long as these ingredients arent too far up on the list of ingredients, im straight...

theres a misconception that those ingredients inhibit hair growth and blah blah blah

mineral oil not harsh at all - it will not harm your hair in any way do not believe the hype - i am proof, my hair didnt stop growing break or anything - just SOME individuals do not like it - just like one would like keracare and not motions
cones (maybe) not harsh, just inhibits ingredients penetrating the hair shaft - which can be a good or bad thing - once you use cones, they can easily be removed with shampoo and besides diemethycone (sorry i cannot spell) is water soluble therefore has no negetive effect on the hair shaft watsoever

Preach!!! :yep:

i have to agree with Candy_C on this one! I am a true KERACARE product junkie for over 5 years and keracare has most of those Hash ingrendients in them but it works great for my hair.

I was wondering the same thing about these chemicals in my hair products. I find that part of the problem is that there are as many differing opinions as people writing articles. I don't know what to believe. I just try to try different products and stick with the ones that I like.

I still use shampoo just not as frequently or as much as I used to.

I have a really good DC that works really well for my hair but supposedly it's bad for my hair b/c it has mineral oil in it.

And what about all those dominican products that are teeming with mineral oil and petroleum

I don't use any of those - but that's because my hair told me not to. Not because I read an article, not because there was a thread that was talking about how I'd grow another nipple or something if I did, but solely and purely because my hair ain't happy with products that have those ingredients in it.

:lachen:

Ain't no need to feel guilty, or like you have to explain yourself, if you use it and your hair likes it! That's what really matters! If you are using 'whatever' on your hair, and the scalp is happy, the hair is growing, you are liking how it feels and reacts and retains - girl, keep on keeping on!

:grin:

Harsh is relative which is why I don't think we will all ever agree on topics like this.

When looking at ingredients, I always try to think about concentrations and the overall formula. Just because a product has a particular ingredient, I can't base my whole opinion off of that fact because the over all formula can change the effects. Like there are chemicals that are used with amodimethicone that make it more water soluable thus decreasing buildup just as there are things added that soften the effects of sulfates.

Just as one "good" ingredient doesn't make a product good, one bad ingredient doesn't make the whole product bad either.

We all have different sensitivites to products and ingredients so in the end use what works well for your hair. One of my favorite mild protein conditioners has mineral oil in it but my hair drinks it up. Now, I usually don't like products with mineral oil in them but this is the exception to the rule for me.

My Siliconado and Organix condish has cones in it and I LOVE them both...
When I first started my hair care journey I was obsessed with avoiding these products. Not anymore...

I don't use any of those - but that's because my hair told me not to. Not because I read an article, not because there was a thread that was talking about how I'd grow another nipple or something if I did, but solely and purely because my hair ain't happy with products that have those ingredients in it.

Ain't no need to feel guilty, or like you have to explain yourself, if you use it and your hair likes it! That's what really matters! If you are using 'whatever' on your hair, and the scalp is happy, the hair is growing, you are liking how it feels and reacts and retains - girl, keep on keeping on!

Exactly!!!!!

CO-sign.:grin::grin::grin:

Harsh is relative which is why I don't think we will all ever agree on topics like this.

When looking at ingredients, I always try to think about concentrations and the overall formula. Just because a product has a particular ingredient, I can't base my whole opinion off of that fact because the over all formula can change the effects. Like there are chemicals that are used with amodimethicone that make it more water soluable thus decreasing buildup just as there are things added that soften the effects of sulfates.

Just as one "good" ingredient doesn't make a product good, one bad ingredient doesn't make the whole product bad either.

We all have different sensitivites to products and ingredients so in the end use what works well for your hair. One of my favorite mild protein conditioners has mineral oil in it but my hair drinks it up. Now, I usually don't like products with mineral oil in them but this is the exception to the rule for me.

Thank you two for this! This is good to know :yep:

i have to agree with Candy_C on this one! I am a true KERACARE product junkie for over 5 years and keracare has most of those Hash ingrendients in them but it works great for my hair.

Humecto is one of my fav conditioners. I didnt know it had mineral oil. :look::perplexed

Thank you Candy! My hair loves Motions and it has mineral oil

I use silicone as a sealer. Now that I understand what they are and how to use them, so far I'm okay with the regimen. I wash them off, moisturize, condition, leave-in moisturizer and then wrap my hair up in a silicone coat. My natural hair's real soft! :) However, I do have to make sure that I wash off the silicones and condition, re-moisturize, in a timely manner. The dreaded SD Alchohol is in the silicone product as well. Yikes!

Sho U Right!!!:grin:

I'm using a lot of products with petrolatum and mineral oil in them now and my hair is still healthy. I do not plan to repurchase the products as I am trying to eventually use hair products made of only natural ingredients but due to the economy I want to use up the stuff I already have. With gas prices etc. I can't justify throwing anything away.

Back