Does Anyone Use Conditioner as a Moisturizer?

options

I tend to use conditioners as moisturizers for my hair, like someone might use an oil, pomade or leave-in conditioner. Does anyone know if this is harmful over time?

I don't use the extremely thick moisturizers, like cholesteral treatments, but instead things like Humectress and Aphogee Keratin, which are both relatively thin in density and do a wonderful job imparting pliability and moisture.

Yup. I use a mixture of suave milk and honey with evoo and curl activator as my regular daily moisturizer. It's cheap and has worked suprisingly well at keeping my hair curly rather than stringy.

To Dahomeyahosi,

Was this the same treatment you used when 100% natural? Understand you are using them on dry hair in between regular wash and condition? I want to use a conditioner as a moisturizer on my dry hair but do not want the heavy or hard result I keep getting. I keep experimenting to find a good combo. Spraying water has not been able to keep my hair that is exposed to wind, home and car heat moist. Even following with a shea mixture.

Oh yes, love your hair and sis. New pictures soon please. :)

I've been using cheapie conditioners (Suave, VO5, Tresemme, WhiteRain, Pantene) as an ingredient in my daily moisturizer for over 2 yrs... began while relaxed; used during my transition & even now that I'm natural. I haven't had any problems.

But let me also add, that I also do mild protein treatments weekly. I believe finding a balance between using "regular" conditioners as a moisturizers & doing mild protein treatments is the key to keeping my hair nice & strong (without that overconditioning "mushy" feel).

VintageCoilyLocks,

Yes, I did this conditioner thing when I was totally natural, too. I used Nexxus Humectress back then as a my staple leave-in conditioner, and am now using both the Humectress and Apohogee Keratin as my leave-ins. Pomades and those watery leave-ins really don't do anything to preserve moisture in my hair, and I have that these conditioners do. I was just wondering if this could potentially be harmful. My hair stays pretty soft and pliable as a result; I am not experiencing any hardness or extreme firmness. And I do continue to do deep conditioning treatments in between, probably every two weeks.

I'm going to start using Suave Professionals Humectant as a moisturizer. After I wash and condition my hair, I'm going to apply this all over my hair and then style my hair in a bun or rollerset. I may alternate this with Motions Nourish leave-in Conditioner. I'll just use these products once a week since that's when I wash my hair. :yep:

Thank you Options,

I am currently on the baggie method which I most likely will continue. It keeps the rear section of my hair nice and no need for a lot of products. My problem is the front. I can't keep enough moisture with just water sprays glycerin and my shea butter. Then those build up and it gets hard. Then I am afraid of it breaking. I am planning on trying some of the all natural conditioners. Thanks for the advice.

Ive found Daily defense tender apple makes my hair very soft when used as a moisturizer, especially if I add a little oil.

I use Mane N Tail conditioner as a leave-in and moisturizer. I recently tried the Breakthru line (which I love), and I'll add a bit of the anti-breakage moisturizer to my hair to help slick it back and it's a great combination.

options said:
I tend to use conditioners as moisturizers for my hair, like someone might use an oil, pomade or leave-in conditioner. Does anyone know if this is harmful over time?

I don't use the extremely thick moisturizers, like cholesteral treatments, but instead things like Humectress and Aphogee Keratin, which are both relatively thin in density and do a wonderful job imparting pliability and moisture.

One time I bought and used a John Frieda conditioner as a hair moisturiser. I had almost finished the bottle (it was a metal like container so I didn't think it could be a conditioner for after shampoo) when I realised it was actually a hair conditioner and not a leave-in conditioner.:lol:

However, it made my hair lay down nicely and it didn't break my hair or make it hard. It was also a light consistency.

I tried Humectress in my hair yesterday (just a little) before I blow dried and it seemed to work really well on my ends with a little Mane and Tail Detangler as a leave-in spray.:)

Back