Does anyone think cowashing makes their hair thinner?

preciousjewel76 said:
ITA. I think I went overboard with moisture when I first joined. I was doing 2 cowashes per week, and moisturizing twice daily - all with protein-free products. My hair started breaking off at the tips. I've reduced my cowashes to 1x per week (and I try not to manipulate my hair as much while washing), and I've incorporated protein conditioners/moisturizers into my routine. I think cowashing is fine for most people, but you still have to clarify on occasion and watch your moisture/protein balance.

I have been conditioner washing for the last 3 months using Wen cleansing conditioners. I always and I mean always use a a conditioner to wash my scalp and then I apply a mixture of two thirds mositurizing conditioner and 1/3 protein conditioner (Keraphix) to my entire hair. I not only have little to no breakage even after not combing my hair for 3 days, but my hair stays moisturized. Every fourth week I will skip one of the conditioner washes and wash with shampoo (Nexus Therappe,followed by a reconstructor (Emergencee) and then a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment. My hair is thriving so far.

anky said:
Co-washing did nothing but made my hair thicker. My suave conditioners do not have cones in them. In fact, i just used the Strawberry one today :lick: I agree with the other ladies about what you're doing after co-washing :yep: Buena Suerte!

Yeah I would have to agree.. I think condiition washes make my hair softer, stronger, and more pliable. It also makes my hair grow faster too.
Since joining the boards, i've tried washing once a week and cw'ing several times a week. I AlWAYS have better results when I wash/rinse my hair more frequently. I am relaxed and I think it does good things for my hair.

NewYorkgyrl said:
When I was relaxed it did seem to look thinner. That much manipulation was not good for me. It was not good the first 6 months of my transition either.

After month 8 of the transition it was sooooooo beneficial and my hair felt great. I am 53 weeks npe ( 1 year and a week) and co-washing does not seem to have the ill effects that it had when I was relaxed.

hmmmm, I think maybe I'm with you on this. When I was natural I would rinse my hair with conditioner and it made my curls pop and I could run my hand through my thiiick hair without breaking a nail:lol: I don't remember if it made my hair thinner then though. Maybe my relaxed hair just needs to be washed with shampoo, my newgrowth is pretty much under control anyway. Maybe I'll revisit this if I decide to do the natural thing again.

Co-washing made my hair thicker. I got more depth in my hair most definitely. I use V05 conditioners, Tresemme Anti-Breakage, Straight Arrow'a Mane-n-Tail Original Formula or Biosilk Hydrating Conditioner when I conditioner wash. My hair loves it !!!

I have fine textured hair and I only CW when I want to get extra protein or mid-week cleansing. Depending on the products that I use, I sometimes do experience more breakage and my hair can feel more fragile. My hair responds better to less manipulation and less product. All it needs to thrive is weekly washing and deep conditioning and occasional light moisture. CW's may be great for some, but you have to do what's best for you. Do what makes your hair happy.

I also cond wash daily, my hair is fine textured 4a/b but I think it probably feels thinner than usual because we are getting rid of all that shed hair on a daily basis.

I noticed that when I Co washed every other day. My strands were much thinner, but my hair was still full. It's funny you brought it up, because I was wondering why that is. I will probably reduce my Co washing to once or twice a week.

I just started co-washing my hair every one to three days and I love it. It makes my hair real soft and smooth which makes it feel thinner until it is dry.

Even though this is an archive, I was wondering why no one has brought up change in diet. Stress? Change in vitamin intake? Water intake? This can affect your new growth as it comes out. I co-wash daily. I already have fine hair and co-washing daily has not affected my new growth negatively or made it thinner. If anything my hair is retaining length better because it is more moisturized. I use Trader Joes Nourish Spa conditioner.

I guess I should clarify....my hair hasn't changed, it's still thick but the new growth since has been coming in thinner...its hard to describe how it feels it weird though. It feels thin, not like damaged thin hair but like my hair is naturally that way, stripped, my newgrowth doesn't come in curly anymore, and it looks "ashy":confused::lol:

I would suggest a different conditioner. I love cowashing but, Suave doesn't work that well with my hair. Kenra is my conditioner of choice:yep:

For Me, Co-Washing has been a Godsend. Granted, I only do my hair once a week.

And Co-Washing has improved the health of my hair.:grin:

However, I think frequent co-washing could possibly lead to problems with thinning due to over moisturization and manipulation. And Not Balancing it out Properly with adequate amounts of Protein/Moisture. That Protein/Moisture Scale always has to stay properly balanced.:yep:

For Me, Co-Washing's been wonderful. I use a quality conditioner For my Weekly Co-washes, sometimes a moisturizing conditioner and sometimes a protein conditioner.

I will use a Suave or a V05 when I Henna to rinse out Henna & Indigo.

I have dry hair/dry skin anyway, so to eliminate Shampoo was a Blessing. Thanks LHCF!:grin:

I now, only use a Clarifying Shampoo to remove build-up as necessary.

Back