Does Anyone Still Use Drug Store Brands?

Do you buy drugstore products?

• I prefer Etsy/Handmade/Homemade

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I prefer brands marketed toward natural hair

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I prefer buying from black-owned businesses

• I prefer drugstore products, primarily

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I buy a mix of the options above and really don't care that much

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I buy a mix of the options above, but have a preference (post to explain)

• Total voters

sunflora

Flowah Powah
While browsing quite a few threads, I started to notice that most people are using Etsy brands, or brands such as Mane Choice, Camille Rose, Mielle, etc etc other primarily online brands targeted towards natural hair.

Does anyone still like drug store brands? Like L'oreal, Suave, Herbal Essences, etc.?

Really, just curious more than anything.

ETA: The brands I listed are considered drug store brands now, I live under a rock lol.

Last edited:
Me:

I think last year I was primarily Etsy, all natural, cone-free, no mineral-oil etc. In the last few months, however, with some 200 products sitting around between two bathrooms, I realized that I really don't care that much. I randomly found a creme with cones, used it, loved it and haven't gone back. So now, to me, if it has ingredients in a certain order that I recognize and know will be find for my hair, I'll use it.

That allows me to use drug store products again, and less online buying which is more expensive and annoying. The only products I'll buy geared toward my hair type are shampoo, because those drug store shampoos are basically dish liquid for some reason.

So "I buy a mix of the options above, but have a preference."

Mane Choice, Camille Rose, TGIN, Uncle Funky's Daughter and Eden Bodyworks are all sold at my local CVS stores, so I consider them to be drug store products, especially since I can use and earn ExtraCare bucks for them. If you have an Extra Care card, CVS runs regular sales on hair products, so I rarely end up paying full price.

That said, I recently bought some travel sized bottles of OGX's coconut water shampoo and conditioner to test them out. Back when they were called Organix, people here loved their products. The only traditional drug store product I use is Neutrogena's clarifying shampoo.

My CVS has a lot of catching up to do. They have Shea Moisture (which I count as drug store) and some of The Mane Choice, but otherwise not so much. I forgot other drug stores have those brands now, it is 2018 lol.

@OhTall1 there's a Neutrogena clarifying shampoo?

I'll try to find some of that at my CVS this week.
Yep.
Anti residue shampoo
6801640XX_6oz_0.jpg

a lot of those brands you mentioned are sold in drugstores/ Target / Walmart/ Harmons / Sally's Beauty Supply, etc. I don't think I categorize most of them as indie brands anymore

I realize that now. I categorize target outside of drugstores, but I think most people don't. Hmmm. Maybe I should re-word the initial question, but I'm not sure how.

I do NOT like to rely on products that I can’t get and return to a store. I get all my stuff from Target, Walmart, the local grocery store (which now sells Karen’s Body Beautiful :clap:), Sally, Ulta, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, or Aveda. I do prefer to buy from the black owned brands for most of my stuff.

I have SO many products to work through I’m on a no buy unless an essential runs out. Then I go to CVS with the weekly coupon they send me to replenish. I’m making no orders at this time. I know what type of products work in my hair and stick to that.

I prefer black owned businesses.

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in things I can't get on the ground. I use the majority of the products you mentioned and I get them from Walmart, target, CVS, Sally's etc. Someone is always having a sale so you really never have to pay full price.

The only products are buy from the drug store is Aphogee Pro Vitamin leave in, ORS Replenishing Conditioner and various KeraCare products.

Everything else I have to order online. I do try to mainly use website who offer free postage though so that takes the sting out of it somewhat.

I have a combination of both,local & online..I like The Mane Choice/Camille Rose because I can find them everywhere..
I also have my Etsy favorites like Natures Ego,so I alternate..

*I like suave & herbel essence for rinse outs & to add for henna gloss..

Happy Hair Growing!

I don’t consider lines I can buy at CVS drugstore unless they are only found in drugstores. FYI.

Back