Does anyone here swear off brushes??

*ElleB

As I have just been made aware of Cathy Howse and her methods, I want to know if any one follows her ideals of NO BRUSHING WHATSOEVER and have good results. Personally, i think i get where she is coming from with it, but I can't style my hair properly without brushing it. What are ur opinions??

I never liked brushing my hair. It always seemed that brushing my hair caused it to come out a lot. I honestly can't remember that last time I used a brush. I have heard that bruhsing stimulates circulation and my mother and best friend swear up and down that brushing grows your hair. I will admit that I havent seen an improvement since I stopped brushing my hair which I dont think has anything to with brushing but other problems I have with my hair (eg moisture).

My regime of deep conditioning w/ protein, daily moisturizing, and absolutely no brushing came from UBH. But I had to trim my ends. I'm hoping to do less of that now.

Never liked brushing even b4 cathy and haven't owned or used a brush on my hair in over 10 years. I'm 4b relaxed (currently in braids) and just have no need -- I stimulate my scalp with finger massages and smooth hair with comb and fingers.

I don't know if brushing is good v. bad, I don't brush because personally not necessary . . .

Ever since i started this healthy hair care, I haven't used brushes. The bristles are too harsh. Not using brushes combined with other good hair practices has my hair thick today. There are no real need for brushes for black women anyway. The main reason why non-black people brush their hair is becuase they produce more oil at the scalp and the brushing helps distribute the oils to rest of the hair. So for black women to do it, it doesn't makes sense because we don't produce as much oils at the scalp. So our focus should just be moisturizing the hair.

I am trying very hard to swear off brushes, but my hair is so thick and the longer I go without a perm it's hard to slick it down and put in a bun. I am frustrated now because I am trying not to use one and i have a huge hump of hair and a ponytail in the back.

Neroli said:
Never liked brushing even b4 cathy and haven't owned or used a brush on my hair in over 10 years. I'm 4b relaxed (currently in braids) and just have no need -- I stimulate my scalp with finger massages and smooth hair with comb and fingers.

I don't know if brushing is good v. bad, I don't brush because personally not necessary . . .

Same here!

I love brushing my hair - it really feels lovely and tickly on my head - but for some reason I havent't brushed since December and have had much less shedding and breakage since. Maybe it's not a coincidence...

Ditto on the great progress, Sareca and Lauren. Looking good. :up:

Last edited:
I do not own a brush. I use just my wide tooth comb on wet hair during wash days and just my fingers to style at other times. I read Cathy Howse's book when I first came to LHCF and I do agree with most of her methods.:)

I have read her book and do use her products along with other things, and even before reading her book I used the brush sparingly. Now I don't even own a hairbrush and I am able to manage my hair. I may use a finer tooth comb to acheive certain styles, but other than that it's a wide tooth comb all the way.

I have thought about not brushing, as it was recommended by Candi C. But how do you style your hair? I can't stand having to make a bun and having tangled hair, bumbs, or new growth peeping through relaxed strands. I only brush over at least once to get decent ponytail.

I follow Cathy's methods too, she's good. I agree with most of what she says but I do find that I use a brush, sparingly when I have alot of NG. BTW Lauren your hair looks fantastic!

Ever since reading Cathy's book I do not brush as often as I used to. Whenever I do use a brush(which is very rare) I use a soft brisle brush. And I only use it to smooth out my edges and nape.

I still use my soft bristle brush, but only on my nape and my edges.
That's the only way for me to tame the stray hairs.

I don't like traditional bristle brushes because they snag so ITA with the reason for not using them.

I do use my denman D4 brush daily though. I know that some disagree with this practice but I just take my time and be very gentle.

For me its what works, but it wouldn't work for everyone else.

I see more hair come out when I use a comb than my brush.

-A

Thank you ladies!

I think it's easy for me to get away with not brushing because I wear my hair down all the time. If I wore it up, I don't know what I'd do. I probably just wouldn't have a smooth bun or pony, but I couldn't go back to brushing. I lost too much hair that way.

lauren450 said:
Thank you ladies!

I think it's easy for me to get away with not brushing because I wear my hair down all the time. If I wore it up, I don't know what I'd do. I probably just wouldn't have a smooth bun or pony, but I couldn't go back to brushing. I lost too much hair that way.

Let me get this straight, you made all that progress and you don't wear buns everyday? :eek:

Sareca and Lauren, you guys have made great progress!

_______

I've never read Cathy Howse's books, but I only use my brush as needed. It is a soft, 100% boar bristle brush and I only use it for smoothing when my hair is in an updo. Oh, and I NEVER pull a brush through the length of my hair... unless it is one of those brushes with the bulbs on the ends and I just flat ironed my hair. :grin:

goldensensation said:
Sareca and Lauren, you guys have made great progress!

_______

I've never read Cathy Howse's books, but I only use my brush as needed. It is a soft, 100% boar bristle brush and I only use it for smoothing when my hair is in an updo. Oh, and I NEVER pull a brush through the length of my hair... unless it is one of those brushes with the bulbs on the ends and I just flat ironed my hair. :grin:

Thanks. :)

Sareca, you have made some great progress. I'm loving that ponytail!

Nope, I never wear protective styles. I may start doing them after 7-8 weeks, becuase that's when I usually start flat-ironing my hair, which I probably shouls stop doing. :(

lauren450 said:
Sareca, you have made some great progress. I'm loving that ponytail!

Nope, I never wear protective styles. I may start doing them after 7-8 weeks, becuase that's when I usually start flat-ironing my hair, which I probably shouls stop doing. :(

Wow! :dizzy:

Lauren450, I'm impressed that you got to that length without protective styles. Your hair is so thick and healthy.

As for the main question, I have not brushed my hair in about 7 years. I've tried using different types of brushes and they all ripped my hair out.

The last brush I used was something that a Sales Associate at Sally Beauty Supply - a black woman with a relaxer - recommended to me. The bristles had a diagonal pattern - not good for my hair.

charleyq said:
I am trying very hard to swear off brushes, but my hair is so thick and the longer I go without a perm it's hard to slick it down and put in a bun. I am frustrated now because I am trying not to use one and i have a huge hump of hair and a ponytail in the back.

THis is my problem too... :( this is y I started this post... Thanks ladies for all ur responses!!

I havent used a brush in over a year, maybe 2. I used to use it every night to wrap it, thats when I used to see so much broken hairs!! I dont even use a comb anymore until I wash my hair and thats once every 2 weeks. I just finger comb and hardly see any breakage.

Back