Does anyone here roller set all the time?

daviine

Or most of the time? I really don't remember what my air drying process was, but since I've been roller setting I'm not really feeling the air-dried look! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Maybe I'm doing it differently than I was before but in comparison to a roller set, my hair looks like a hot mess!!!!

Yes, me, who was crying about not being able to airdry her hair--- /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can't believe it myself. The only part that gets on my nerve is sitting under the dryer but I've got some books I've been meaning to read. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyways, I just wanted to know who roller sets their hair ALOT and if you use any type of heat protectant or anything.

Alright......I guess I'm done....

I rollerset whenver I wash my hair, which is usually 1x or 2x a week. I rollerset because I want my ends to be sleek, so that will make the growth process healthier.

I have this weird complex about airdrying, I beleive that airdrying can cause split ends.
.....And, No, I never use a heat protectant when rollersetting my hair, I actually only use water in a spray bottle and surprisingly my hair comes out extremely bouncy without the use of any styling aids.

Im with you Daviine, sitting under the dryer gets on my nerves. But I noticed when using water to set your hair, it cuts the drying time, so thats the good thing.

I do alot. And I have to agree with you both...I hate sitting under the dryer. But the last time I air dried then did a 'dry' set the next day with Elucence it only took my hair a half hour to dry. I also agree the less product you use the quicker it dries. I still use Lottabody creme abut I cut back on the amount I use. This weekend I'm gonna set with just a little of my pomade and see how it turns out(and how fast it dries... /images/graemlins/wink.gif ). I feel like the oils and shea butter protect my hair from the heat of the dryer.

I roller set once a week. No i do not use a heat protectant, but I set my hair under a cool dryer, basically, it's almost like blowing room temperature around under my drier.

Do you use it on cool for the entire time? How long does that ususlly take and does it give the same results as blowing on a higher setting?

One more question, I think you've mentioned it before, but what type of dryer do you use again?

Chile!!! I have to. I'm soooo upset that I can't master the air drying technique like Carol Gray /images/graemlins/angry2.gif and it's so convenient too. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif Oh well so I have to rollerset to get it straight and i use my own mixture leave in conditioner which is cyclomethicone, dimethicone, water and whatever oil i'm feelin at the time and sit under a warm dryer.

Honi....believe it or not, I used to use her ponytail method but I didn't like the crease/crimp thatthe ponytail holder left. it worked well though for keeping the her straight.

But I preferred to dry my hair loose so that it could dry faster but maybe drying it in a ponytail is heathier.

***As we speak now, I'm staring at this Lottabody Straight Stuff, wondering if I still like it since I don't really use the ponytail method.

how did you like the lottabody straight stuff? i think sassy also used to use it. i cant do the air dry and go thing unless i plan to do something with the hair afterwards ike flat iron/braid/curl. God bless you all.

I used to like it but right now my hair feels kind of weird (like coated/oily) and I'm not sure if that is the reason why. I just slapped some on last nigth in the name of using up some products in the product graveyard.

But my hair is straight.........

I air dryed my hair loose last night for the first time and I have to say, I'm diggin the way it came out. It was still a litte bit damp when I wrapped it last night and tied it up with my scarf, and this morning it looked pretty good. Not straight like with a roller-set, but definitely straight enough where I could still do my usual style. I did bump the ends under with the curling iron, but that was it. My hair looks a lot thicker today than it would with the roller set. THAT, I like!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif And it's not bushy, like I thought it might be. However, something tells me that air-drying might not be so good the closer it comes to re-touch time... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I plan to alternate weekly - one week roller set, next week air-dry. The air-drying is so convenient. I think I will do it all the time in the summer, (when it's a real drag to sit under the dryer!!) It's so nice to have these options!! I'm LOVIN it!!!
/images/graemlins/bdance.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I plan to alternate weekly - one week roller set, next week air-dry. The air-drying is so convenient. I think I will do it all the time in the summer, (when it's a real drag to sit under the dryer!!) It's so nice to have these options!! I'm LOVIN it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm going to do the same. I think I'm going to airdry with my protein washes and rollerset with my moisturizing washes.......I don't know --still workin it out in my head.....

So mirrormirror, are you saying that after you wash and condition your hair, you put NOTHING else on your hair?

Spell out your routine girl....... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Lindy said:
It's so nice to have these options!! I'm LOVIN it!!!
/images/graemlins/bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you. It's nice to not be stuck with only one way of doing our hair..... /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

Daviine
I actually just started "just water to set my hair" routine. Although I definately do not have anything against using styling aids, cause I used them most of the time. But I just like the outcome of my hair when I use just water. Then after my hair is dry I'll use a hair gloss, moisturizing creme, etc. It penetrtes better when my hair is dry verses when wet. Im always trying to think of new ways to simlify my hair routine. My regimen is in my profile.

I roller set 1x or 2x a week, my hair comes out great everytime. Very soft and silky. I love my roller sets... well, my Dominican mommys' set.

I just started rollersetting twice (or more) a week due to the fact that my flat iron is frying my hair and the only way my hair stays moisturized is if it dries smooth and straight. But lately my sets have been really dry and the ends looking pretty rough. But I decided to put my Humectress to use since I dont use it as a regular conditioner and I used it as a setting lotion...wow...i'm gonna start buying humectress just for that! My set is.....WOW!
shocked.gif

Too bad I have a dance recital to perform in tonite and its just gonna look horrible afterwards.....
look.gif
...after all that work..

I rollerset all of the time---I x a week I don't use a heat protectant, only a setting lotion (Infusium) and hair polisher. I haven't a clue what heat protectant to use..
blush.gif

I've been trying to airdry but afraid of the results. I did the braid out twice. The first time I airdried, the second time I sat under the dryer. I like how it came out, but braiding it every night can be tough when you have a lot of studying to do.
crazy.gif
Also I didn't wear my hair up a lot. I mostly wore it down. However, it was sooooohhhhh moisturized and soft. It was amazing.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
I was very impressed with this method.

I plan to do it more during the summer. I am going to try the wash and wear set and the ponytail method. It's no use in sitting under the dryer then.

I just wanted to add...

I've never tried the drying on cool or low. As it is, drying to make my hair look like the salon takes anywhere from 1.30-2 hrs. I think sometimes I don't let it dry all of the way. It doesn't look bushy, it's just that the curls aren't so tight..I guess.
smirk.gif

CarmenRose,
How do you make your hair soft after your braid set? Mine is soft the very next day, but after that it is dry and brittle.

Back