Does anyone else have to detangle once or twice a day?

Evo-ny

I've got 4 months of NG on my head and I'm having quite the fight with it! :wallbash: My regimen consists of less chemicals and less heat, but less manipulation is something my hair cannot handle.

I usually have to detangle twice a day to be able to put a part through it! I usually do it once at night when I put my hair up for bed, and once in the morning just to be able to put it in a bun for work. The other day I was really tired, so I just moisturized without a comb through, then the morning after I'd done the same thing. My hair started to mat and lock up after a day and a half!! :nono:

I don't want to have to keep detangling so much because I've got fine strands and I'm losing more hair than I'd like. But if I don't keep it up, I'm going to have to break out the scissors instead of a comb!

My hair feels so much better when I detangle every day. The back of my head gets really tangled.

I'm 22 weeks post so I just started doing this and it works.

I could skip a day or 2 if my hair is in 2 braids but other than that I detangle every night.

Lately I've been doing it with conditioner and just rinsing it out and braiding it back up. My hair feels great.

This has been happening to me alot Im 3 mths post (I think). I just searched for this same topic and found about rinsing with baking soda mixed with water so I'm going to try that next time I wash which will probably be friday so im going to try that and clarifying.

What are you using to detangle?

I go through my hair with my denman when I get ready to style it for the day and use my wide tooth comb at bedtime. I am attempting to transition but for me it will only work if I keep my hair detangled. I realize i cannot use a finer tooth comb but the denman and wide tooth comb have kept my hair very manageable. I have not been losing more than the normal amount of shed hair.

If I detangled that often I'd be bald...I'm 3 months post so I had to put big plats(LIKE 12) and put under a half wig because new growth fighting against more newgrowth is a tug of war for me being a 4b-z and all...

what kind of bun are you wearing? Sylver2 has excellent tips on less manipulation in her Fotki under her 12 month stretch.

I recommend looking there.

Thanks for the recommendation! I stalked her Fotki for a bit, and wow, I don't know how she manages to go so long without combing! I don't know why my roots knot up so badly after a few hours, even when pulled back into a simple ponytail.

My leave in conditioners/detanglers of choice are Kenra, Mane & Tail, and John Frieda's frizz ease. I've used them separately and together and in different combinations, but my ng still mats up real bad if I don't put a comb through it every night. :(

I also have herbal essences LTR, but I only use it on the relaxed ends.

I understand where u are coming from when I tried to transition I had thesame problem that made the decision to bc easier for me. Have u tried in "detangler products" the kccc knot today worked well for me... good luck

Hi.

I too, finger detangle twice a day...once in the morning and once at night. I either sleep in 8 braids or 8 sections with satin rollers each night. I am almost 8 months into my transition and it has been working for me. I moisturize each night and morning with dilluted Daily Doctor spray and perhaps some leave-in conditioner (Darcy's Botanical).

There was a time when I used to detangle every single day as well. Twice a day, for a while even. Now I've gotten it down to 4/5 a week.

What's helped me most I think it is keeping my ng stretched in a perfectly detangled state.

I will dc/cowash, airdry untill it's only damp and then detangle and bantu knot it before bed. In the morning I will put it up in a ponytail, and when I go to bed again I'll knot it up.
As long as it's stretched, I shouldn't need to detangle. I take it once you've detangled, your hair actually is detangled, right? Is detangling itself the issue, or the amount of times you are?

Also, watch out for shed hairs. All that ng is making them hang on to the rest of your hair, making it tangly. Cowashing and/or a denman brush is a great way to get rid rid sheds.

When I was detangling twice a day, it was because I wanted my knot out to be super smooth and pretty. :look:

Exactly what she said... keeping the new growth stretched eliminates the need to detangle everyday.

I finger detangle while rinsing out conditioner, detangle with wide tooth comb after applying leave in to damp hair and I airdry my hair in 3-6 ponytails and my new growth dries stretched. My hair is easy to handle after this :yep:

There was a time when I used to detangle every single day as well. Twice a day, for a while even. Now I've gotten it down to 4/5 a week.

What's helped me most I think it is keeping my ng stretched in a perfectly detangled state.

I will dc/cowash, airdry untill it's only damp and then detangle and bantu knot it before bed. In the morning I will put it up in a ponytail, and when I go to bed again I'll knot it up.
As long as it's stretched, I shouldn't need to detangle. I take it once you've detangled, your hair actually is detangled, right? Is detangling itself the issue, or the amount of times you are?

Also, watch out for shed hairs. All that ng is making them hang on to the rest of your hair, making it tangly. Cowashing and/or a denman brush is a great way to get rid rid sheds.

When I was detangling twice a day, it was because I wanted my knot out to be super smooth and pretty. :look:

I don't think you should fully detangle everyday. I would keep your hair in styles where once your roots are set there is no need to comb through them everyday. Somebody already mentioned sylver2's scarf method. You can also do braidouts, rod sets, or other curly styles that don't require that sleek look

Back