Does Anyone Else Have This Problem, Please Help.

Caramel74

I lost count of the times I've Big Chopped my hair. The last time was May 30, 2015, so it was around 9 months ago. I don't relax my hair. I don't die my hair. I don't use a flatiron. I moisturize, seal my hair and protective style, take biotin and what ever else you can name to have healthy non-damaged hair. Grant it my hair is wet right now but this really bothers me. Is there anything else I can do besides cutting all that healthy growth off to get rid of that hole? Has anyone else had this same problems and had success? I'd really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Hair Problems 2.jpg
    Hair Problems 2.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Hair Problems.jpg
    Hair Problems.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 144
Did something happen the last time you trimmed? It looks like a section of hair has been cut or is your hair always that uneven.The only other thing I was going to say was watch how often you get a dominican blowout as I believe that is what stunted my hair growth. Granted I was going every 2 weeks which was way too much but they use so much heat. But honestly that area looks like the scissors slipped. It's just going to take time to catch up unless you cut to even out.

Oh wow. Looks like a chunk had been cut out. I honestly don't know because I can't tell if it's breakage (pbly not) or if a chunk of your has been chopped .

Did something happen the last time you trimmed? It looks like a section of hair has been cut or is your hair always that uneven.The only other thing I was going to say was watch how often you get a dominican blowout as I believe that is what stunted my hair growth. Granted I was going every 2 weeks which was way too much but they use so much heat. But honestly that area looks like the scissors slipped. It's just going to take time to catch up unless you cut to even out.
I've had this problems as far back as I can remember. It's both my nape and crown in that area.

Oh wow. Looks like a chunk had been cut out. I honestly don't know because I can't tell if it's breakage (pbly not) or if a chunk of your has been chopped .

I know hah? It looks like a chunk has been cut out but that's how it has grown (or not grown) in the past 9 months.

I lost count of the times I've Big Chopped my hair. The last time was May 30, 2015, so it was around 9 months ago. I don't relax my hair. I don't die my hair. I don't use a flatiron. I moisturize, seal my hair and protective style, take biotin and what ever else you can name to have healthy non-damaged hair. Grant it my hair is wet right now but this really bothers me. Is there anything else I can do besides cutting all that healthy growth off to get rid of that hole? Has anyone else had this same problems and had success? I'd really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance!
I just did my tension blowdry at 70% air dryed and blended it and this is what it looks like thank heavens. This is the reason it's not all chopped off yet again. That part with the missing hair shrinks up to neck length and I think about how it would be to have neck length, yet again!
:swearing:

Wet bunning is so much better with the length I have now. Protective styling was so difficult at neck length. I was hoping somebody else struggled with this. With the research I have done in the past, I discovered different thickness where one side would curl up tighter than the other and so on and so forth. My hair is very fine with tight kinky curls and it sticks together when it's wet. Still knowing this gets me very down at times. If there is anyone out there with this problem please come into the thread, thanks.

Attachments

• Hair Problem Blended.jpg
    Hair Problem Blended.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 114
I just did my tension blowdry at 70% air dryed and blended it and this is what it looks like thank heavens. This is the reason it's not all chopped off yet again. That part with the missing hair shrinks up to neck length and I think about how it would be to have neck length, yet again!
:swearing:

Wet bunning is so much better with the length I have now. Protective styling was so difficult at neck length. I was hoping somebody else struggled with this. With the research I have done in the past, I discovered different thickness where one side would curl up tighter than the other and so on and so forth. My hair is very fine with tight kinky curls and it sticks together when it's wet. Still knowing this gets me very down at times. If there is anyone out there with this problem please come into the thread, thanks.
@caramel your texture is tighter in the back and it shrinks more. It gives the illusion of a hole, but in your straight pics it looks great.

That's what I'm seeing now as well. :)

Wow...that is some crazy 'random' shrinkage.

Actually a YouTuber posted a wash day video where she blowdried/stretched her areas w/more shrinkage so that her finished style appeared more even. Wish I could remember her name...

That's what I'm seeing now as well. :)
Thank you! :) Your support means a lot to me as this problem gets me down and gives me low self esteem. I can't tell you how many times I've been butchered over it to only have the same problem again and this time I crossed every "T" and dotted every "I." It's just something I have to contend with, have patience, and not give up. Maybe someone out there is going through something similar and this thread will help them as some threads have helped me when I get down. That's what the journey and LHCF is all about.

Wow...that is some crazy 'random' shrinkage.

Actually a YouTuber posted a wash day video where she blowdried/stretched her areas w/more shrinkage so that her finished style appeared more even. Wish I could remember her name...
I know right? I'm so embarrassed of it so it took me a long time to get the courage to finally express it on the forum. I really needed to address it though bc I was having a hard time with, "Do I really need another big chop, this is ridiculous?" Thank you for your reply! :) It'll never go away though so that's insane. If that area ever gets any length and weight to it it'll blend better but for now Idk. My boyfriend has never seen it so when he moves in in the summer I'll have a better explanation. My son gets mad at me for being on LHCF so much but now I hope he understands. I think it's only bc he needs the computer, lol. He made a hurtful comment like "You're reading about hair again and you don't even have hardly any :(. He aplogized after but still a women's hair is her glory and it is a big deal. It affects our emotional well being.

Last edited:
Hi @Caramel74,

It seems to me that the hair texture is very different in that one section than to the rest of your head. This is quite common and manifests differently on different heads of hair.

There are what I call "hot spots", or common areas of breakage, in our hair: edges, crown and nape. I think you named two of the three!

Most times, hair that breaks or has a different texture, tends to be more fragile and/or coarser than the rest of the head. The common denominator is a difference in texture. I think you said it is curlier than the rest of your hair.

So, in my humble opinion, it's not that the hair is problematic. It just needs EXTRA tender love and care.

1. I would suggest that you separate that section out every night, from the rest of the hair. Be sure to collect extra hair all around that section. What that means is, add some of the hair that is not part of the "hole" but near it, to create a nice braid that envelopes and protects that special section of hair. Moisten it with water, put some oil on the last 3 inches and one of your favorite creamy leave-ins on the ends. Braid it, roll the ends up and put a coated rubber band for hair, loosely around the rolled up section of the braid, to secure. Do your regular night time process for the rest of the hair.
  2. Next, you may want to use a different shampoo and conditioner for that section. If the hair is drier or more coarse than the rest, it may require "its own" special products to thrive. Or, you can treat the rest of the hair with the same product that is maybe more gentle and more moisturizing.
  3. When you get trims, if you are going for healthy length, it is important that you inform the stylist that the hair should not all be trimmed to the length of what appears to be the "shortest" area. No, instead trim the hair to the length of the bulk of the hair. Basically, ignore that hair in the "hole" and just trim the ends of the rest of the longer hair.
I have a section that tangles, knots and breaks more than the rest of my head. It's on the right side, in the back, towards my crown area. It's not unusual to have 2 to 4 different textures. It looks like you have a lovely section of hair that's demanding your attention and some special treatment! I think it's great because it's another opportunity to give yourself some extra time, attention and self-care.

Last edited:
Hi @Caramel74,

It seems to me that the hair texture is very different in that one section than to the rest of your head. This is quite common and manifests differently on different heads of hair.

There are what I call "hot spots", or common areas of breakage, in our hair: edges, crown and nape. I think you named two of the three!

Most times, hair that breaks or has a different texture, tends to be more fragile and/or coarser than the rest of the head. The common denominator is a difference in texture. I think you said it is curlier than the rest of your hair.

So, in my humble opinion, it's not that the hair is problematic. It just needs EXTRA tender love and care.

1. I would suggest that you separate that section out every night, from the rest of the hair. Be sure to collect extra hair all around that section. What that means is, add some of the hair that is not part of the "hole" but near it, to create a nice braid that envelopes and protects that special section of hair. Moisten it with water, put some oil on the last 3 inches and one of your favorite creamy leave-ins on the ends. Braid it, roll the ends up and put a coated rubber band for hair, loosely around the rolled up section of the braid, to secure. Do your regular night time process for the rest of the hair.
  2. Next, you may want to use a different shampoo and conditioner for that section. If the hair is drier or more coarse than the rest, it may require "its own" special products to thrive. Or, you can treat the rest of the hair with the same product that is maybe more gentle and more moisturizing.
  3. When you get trims, if you are going for healthy length, t hat you inform and the stylist that the hair is should not all be trimmed to the length of what appears to be the shortest area. No, instead trim the hair to the length of the bulk of the hair. Basically, ignore that hair in the "hole" and just trim the ends of the rest of the longer hair.
I have a section that tangles, knots and breaks more than the rest of my head. It's on the right side, in the back, towards my crown area. It's not unusual to have 2 to 4 different textures. It looks like you have a lovely section of hair that's demanding your attention and some special treatment! I think it's great because it's another opportunity to give yourself some extra time, attention and self-care.
Wow, thank you! I really appreciate your support and help, will do, thanks again! :)

Great advice. It's normal. I have one section on my right side that's looser than the rest like 3b. The bulk of my hair is 4a/3c. It's noticeable when I wear a wash and go but not so much when I do a twist out. I don't get wet or curly trims. I only get a trim after a blowout 3-4 times per year.

Back