Does Anyone Else Hate That Freshly Relaxed..

Ever since I switched relaxers (and hairstylists), I haven't had that limp feeling, and I'm not necessarily texlaxed, either. I use Affirm, but I really believe that it's my hairstylist's magical touch that leaves my hair somewhat full.

I use to have limp hair when I went to hairdressers for a relaxer.

I do my own relaxers now and whats has helped me is putting coconut oil on my previously relaxed hair. My roots are smooth, but my hair is still thick.

Matter of fact, my avatar pic is about 3 or 4 days after a relaxer. I loved my thick bun!

My hair is never limp after a touchup...for two reasons:

1) I'm texlaxed so my hair still has lots of texture afterwards.
2) The "protein step" (after rinsing relaxer out but before neutralizing) adds further thickness to my hair.

In fact, my siggy pic is right after a touchup.
this is me^^^
i didn't mean to texlax but i am now & i use henna after relaxing which acts like a protein

By making sure I neutralize really good and also doing the protein step as a pre-rinse, my post relaxed hair is looking better. However, I still like to plan my touch-ups one week before a special event. That way, I can do an extra wash before showing it off :lol:.

I think it sux even more for people with fine hair.

i just relaxed last nite and my edges have all these gaps in between due to the hair being so flat to the head. ugh

Has anyone used the optimum care bodyifing relaxer? It's for fine hair so I'm wondering if it would help even your hair is not thin..,,

Eta: I use Caruso steam curlers for spiral curls after I relax. It adds some weight and body to my hair.
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Since I comb out the curls after roller sets anyway, my stylist and I have found if we use the red rollers and allow her to wrap the roller set after, I get the style I desire (siggy pic) and I get more volume and I don't get that limp relaxer hair look.

i cant stand the way my hair is after a relaxer..it feels so limp&thin&lifeless.I also hate how my hair is extremley sleek&flat because it makes my already big head look huuuge lol.I actually got a touch up last thursday but i washed my hair on sunday because i couldnt stand how limp my hair felt. my hair feels much better now but it usually starts thickening back up 2wks post.

Limp hair feeling?? What can I do to bring some life back into it??

I got a touch up last night after being 14 weeks and it came out great. Bone straight but jeez it feels sorta thin and I hate that feeling, I want my thickness back! Is this even normal? I guess it's been so long since my hair has been bone straight.

I hate it too. Its normal to fell that way, especially after looking at weeks and weeks of thick new growth.

These have helped to thicken freshly-relaxed hair right away:
*deep protein treatment (i.e. Aphogee or Emergencee)
*rollerset
*henna gloss

I like the way my hair looks after a relaxer. If I didn't I would just shorten the amount of time I leave it in or air dry afterwards.

I remember reading in shamboosies book that the relaxed hair looks thinner right after a relaxer because the strands shrink in diameter immediately after a relaxer and in about 2-3 days it returns to its regular width. So even if u don't wash it it should look thicker about 3 days in.... I used to panick immediately after a relaxer too but after I read that I knew why.

I used to hate that! And when you already have thin hair, it makes it worse. I did twistouts or braidouts for the first week or two, or until I washed it again.

That feeling is EXACTLY why I stopped relaxing my hair. When I got to college I would Only get a relaxer every 6 months.
You should try asking your stylist if she has a less harsh relaxer too. That may help your hair maintain some of the body.

I used to have that exact same problem, but what helped was:

1. Not letting my hair go alllll the way bone straight. I used to try to go as straight as humanly possible, but now, I shoot more for 85 - 90% straight. It's made a world of difference, and my hair feels thicker and stronger overall as well.

2. Bringing your own lightweight leave-in, heat protectant and/or serum. I think this is especially important for fine-haired people. I notice that for some reason, the stuff that they use at some salons like...stick my hair together and make it look flat and oily. Like a wet seal. :nono:
When I bring my own leave-in and demonstrate exactly how much should be used, I get a much nicer result.

3. Using smaller rollers for the set. It takes longer to do it that way, and the stylist might be mad, but smaller rollers will give more volume and bounce than the larger ones will. I usually don't go bigger than the purple ones unless I'm in a rush to get out of there.

4. Getting a light blowout after the set, concentrating on the roots. It works like a charm. :grin:

Of course, all of that stuff is contingent upon you having an approachable and compliant stylist, or being a DIYer. If your stylist is the kind of person that thinks that (s)he's hair Jesus and ignores/fights your instructions, then it won't do any good. hth.

Yesss, and as a person with thin and fine hair...:perplexed

After my last relaxer I put some bantu knots in my hair and that gave it some life.

I would wrap it and let it airdry to counteract the flatness. My face is long on top of that so straight limp hair with no layers was not a good look for me.

Back