Does anybody Wrap anymore?

msjazzy09

Hello ladies,
I have tried the buns and low manipulation and stretching relaxers...most to no avail. I have actually lost hair over time as opposed to keeping the length!
I used to relax my hair every 6weeks (at the most), wash and deep condition weekly, wear it down everyday, flat iron almost every day...and it was fine and growing like usual. Standard for me is about 3/4 inch a month.
I've serious breakage in the back and it's shedding like crazy. I wore my hair down for the first time since November...and I wasn't impressed.:confused:

Does anyone here wrap/tie up their hair every night, wear it down during the day, and still get healthy growing hair??

I do.................I tried the bunning last month and had a lot of breakage and had to cut my hair. Do what works for you, it may not work for anyone else but as long as it works for YOU. I wear my hair down all most daily and wrap or cover the head at night.

Wrapping left my fine hair with no body as a relaxed head. But my mom wraps her hair every night and has no problem. She just wears it parted down the middle with a slight curl in the end. She goes to the salon every 2-3 weeks for a wash, sits under the dryer with her hair just combed straight down. And then gets it flatironed. She relaxes every 8 weeks. Occasionally bumps her ends with my large iron but that's it.

OT - WOW@Dlewis's siggy pic!

I sometimes wrap my hair after I deep condition to get it straight but other than that I dont wrap much. I dont like wrapping it at night because when I did it before my edges broke off and it stunted my growth.

Do what works for you. Some people can wrap and have no problems. Some people can stretch for months. I know I cant.

I cant stretch over 8 weeks. My hair starts to shed like crazy and I lose more hair too. Now that im underprocessed for months because of my own doing lol trying to self relax it just sheds even more and has broken off. The back of my hair has broken off too so now I have to fix it.

I was better off relaxing it every 6-8 weeks at the salon and just taking good care of it at home (deep conditioning, minimizing heat only once a week, moisturizing, etc). Less shedding, less breakage.

I never wore my hair in protective styles or buns when I was relaxed and my hair did just fine. Because I liked my pixie cut, I cut my hair every 3 months, but I still got good growth and less breakage when I simply wrapped.

hmmmm, maybe it's the little things like pulling your bun too tightly, using a brush to rake through the front to get a smooth look, using a cotton or abrasive ponytail holder that dries out the hair and rips it out. Also pay attention to how you put on the ponytail holder and take it off. You should not just rip it off your hair in one smooth motion, that will cause breakage. Be VERY gently with hair and moisturize daily and seal with an oil, twice daily if you have to. This may help.

ALso how long is your hair? If it is past shoulder you may be able to get away with wearing it out all the time, but make sure to moisturize and oil those ends like a beast.
if you are not shoulder lenght yet, you don't want your ends to rub on your clothes as they will dry out and break off. If you don't like the buns try loose protective styles like putting your hair up in a claw clip or something.

HTHs

I wrap about 3 times a week for the first few weeks after a relaxer. Once the new gowth comes in I plait it up or pin it up.

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the different input.

I guess it's a process for all of us to learn what works for our hair and what doesn't! Perhaps my next protective style to fix the current damage will be my second-ever sew-in weave... (crosses fingers)

me! i wrap everynight, been doing so for years. i alternate where i start wrapping and it works pretty well. I wrap mostly so I dont have to use a flat iron or curling iron for a week after I rollerset.

I wrap, been doing so for as long as I can remember. When I do bun I take the bun out and braid the ponytail and tie a scarf on for sleeping. Wrapping has never caused me any problems, I've never had any breakage or thinning from it. It works for some, it may work for you.

I alternate every week. I stopped wrapping every night after realizing that it began to thin my ends. Nonetheless, one week I'll wrap, the next week I'll pin curl and the next week I'll sleep in 6 setting curlers. I'm trying to achieve thickness and so far I believe the latter technique has been working for me.

I wash my hair/dc every two weeks, I also do
a protein treatment every six weeks to prevent
any breakage and/or shedding. I then either
flat iron/roller wrap, and wrap/moisturize my hair
every night, and tie with a satin scarf. I limit direct
heat to twice a month. Any more than that can be damaging to the hair.

My hair stays in better shape and more moisturized when I wrap nightly. I have never had any problems either with wrapping in the same direction.

I stopped at about shoulder blade. Wrapping will wear out and thin one side of your hair. No more wrapping for me. :nono:

I wrap my hair when I wear it down. I have never had problems with wrapping. I use to do it all the time years ago with good growth. I dont do it as much because I wear buns alot now.

I've wrapped my hair nightly for years as well. However, over the past year or so, I've noticed breakage in the hair above my temples. I've since started using a silk scarf (I had been using a mesh-like thingy), alternating directions, and paying close attention to how I comb those problem areas into the wrap. Fortunately, they're beginning to thicken up.

I don't know how I would wear my hair as straight as I like it without wrapping. As Macherieamour mentioned, it keeps me from using direct heat.

Back