Do You Think This Is Safe Enough To Use Daily?

Kimiche

I am currently using Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk as my daily moisturizer.
One of the igredients listed is Silk Protein. I am wondering, will this end up giving me protein overload since I use this daily? :scratchch What do you ladies think? I wash my hair every week usually, but lately it has been every few days or so. My hair is already thick and can be dry as is, but this seems to be doing a good job of keeping my hair moisturized for now when paired with JBCO to seal. I have 4a/b relaxed hair.

Here are the ingredients:

Deionized water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil)*, Isopropyl Myristate, Sugar Starch, Silk Protein, Essential Oil Blend, Melila Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil Caprylyl glycol, Sorbitol Esters, Algae Extract, Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis, (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvenese Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E).

Thanks.

For me, silk protein is not as strong as other hydrolyzed proteins, such as wheat or soy. I think you should be okay, but be sure to monitor your hair. That's a really good milk btw. :)

For me, silk protein is not as strong as other hydrolyzed proteins, such as wheat or soy. I think you should be okay, but be sure to monitor your hair. That's a really good milk btw. :)

Cool thanks, I'll definitely monitor it. I really do like this moisturizer. :yep:

@Kimiche, I might be the only one who doesn't moisturize daily. Do you all just do it out of habit or does your hair really suck up the moisture and crave more the next day? Or is it that your moisturizer just isn't doing what it needs to do?

I don't know if using it daily is too much, but I find once I apply something to my 4B hair, I can go w/o applying anymore until wash day. I do baggy daily though, so that helps. But just in case daily protein might prove too much, could you maybe skip a day? I'm not saying I think it is too much; I really don't know. But I personally have never needed to "moisturize daily". Not even when I used to use dry ol' grease. Perhaps let your hair tell you what it needs?

@Kimiche, I might be the only one who doesn't moisturize daily. Do you all just do it out of habit or does your hair really suck up the moisture and crave more the next day? Or is it that your moisturizer just isn't doing what it needs to do?

I don't know if using it daily is too much, but I find once I apply something to my 4B hair, I can go w/o applying anymore until wash day. I do baggy daily though, so that helps. But just in case daily protein might prove too much, could you maybe skip a day? I'm not saying I think it is too much; I really don't know. But I personally have never needed to "moisturize daily". Not even when I used to use dry ol' grease. Perhaps let your hair tell you what it needs?

My hair sucks up everything I put in my hair. My aunt saw it first hand when she was doing my hair once and put some moisture in it and my hair drank it right up.

@Kimiche your hair will tell you what is too much. It seems to me that if your hair is relaxed it may need an additional boost of protein; but that may just be an over-generalization about relaxed hair. Give your hair a few days and honestly assess how your hair feels: dry, brittle, breakage, shedding or soft supple and not requiring anything but for you to put it back in a bun and leave it alone. Let your hair talk to you

@Nonie, I understand what you are saying. Before I joined this board I rarely moisturized my hair. When I found this forum I moisturized morning and night without fail; I was so excited to be actively participating in making my hair healthy thereby retaining growth. When I moisturize at night and then take my hari down the following morn and my hair feels dry...then no, those products are not working and will not be re-purchased and may be given away. 3 years later I try to listen to my hair and I am still searching for that Holy Grail of products. My hair likes moisture and oils (coconut oil, not so much) and works well with weekly protein.
What I am trying to say is that with the right products I dont have to moisturize morning and night maybe only every few days. But the right product for me is totally different from anyone else's favorite product.

Last edited:
@bbdgirl, thanks for your response. That was kinda my sense, that hair can only take up so much moisture and anymore would make it mushy. I'd imagine porous hair never gets enough coz it loses it almost as fast as it sucks it up?

@Kimiche, have you ever used Roux PC or ACV? Do you DC? I wonder if you're using too much protein and not enough moisture without protein? Also if you're not baggying perhaps some of your moisture is lost into whatever your tie your head with or sleep on?

@Kimiche your hair will tell you what is too much. It seems to me that if your hair is relaxed it may need an additional boost of protein; but that may just be an over-generalization about relaxed hair. Give your hair a few days and honestly assess how your hair feels: dry, brittle, breakage, shedding or soft supple and not requiring anything but for you to put it back in a bun and leave it alone. Let your hair talk to you

@Nonie, I understand what you are saying. Before I joined this board I rarely moisturized my hair. When I found this forum I moisturized morning and night without fail; I was so excited to be actively participating in making my hair healthy thereby retaining growth. When I moisturize at night and then take my hari down the following morn and my hair feels dry...then no, those products are not working and will not be re-purchased and may be given away. 3 years later I try to listen to my hair and I am still searching for that Holy Grail of products. My hair likes moisture and oils (coconut oil, not so much) and works well with weekly protein.
What I am trying to say is that with the right products I dont have to moisturize morning and night maybe only every few days. But the right product for me is totally different from anyone else's favorite product.

Thanks, I will definitely see how my hair continues to respond to this. About what you wrote in bold to Nonie, that is why I was on a search for a moisturizer for along time. I would put moisture in my hair, it would feel fine, then the next morning it would be dry, stiff and everything else besides moisturized. I've tried porosity control and I upped my moisture products, but my hair just wants to stay dry. This is the reason why I can't retain length although my hair grows like crazy.

SIlk protein is usually more moisturizing and film forming than strengthening. You shouldn't have any problem but listen to your hair first.

@Kimiche, have you ever used Roux PC or ACV? Do you DC? I wonder if you're using too much protein and not enough moisture without protein? Also if you're not baggying perhaps some of your moisture is lost into whatever your tie your head with or sleep on?

I tried PC before every kind of way possible and still nothing. I want to try ACV, went to Trader Joes once and saw it once, but wasn't sure if I should buy it. I might give that a try. I use a satin scarf that I got from Sally Beauty, maybe I should try to use a silk scarf instead. I've never done baggying before, I might as well do that too. :scratchch

I tried PC before every kind of way possible and still nothing. I want to try ACV, went to Trader Joes once and saw it once, but wasn't sure if I should buy it. I might give that a try. I use a satin scarf that I got from Sally Beauty, maybe I should try to use a silk scarf instead. I've never done baggying before, I might as well do that too. :scratchch

Thats what keeps my hair soft! No add'l moisturizing needed for me the next morning.
I understood that silk and wheat proteins were more moisturizing and not too harsh...I could be wrong...but like lalla & Nonie said listen to your hair it definitely will tell you what it needs.

I use the curl milk, also. The best moistuizer I've tried and I've tried many. I am natural and once upon a time my hair was very dry. But it wasn't because of the products I was using, it was because I would go to bed with my hair all over my head (in a satin cap), and I would wash my hair too frequently. Things are much better now and no, I don't need to use this moisturizer daily. Most of the time I apply it to my ends. When I do put it throughout my hair, I don't use much, as I don't need much because this moisturizer is very concentrated and that's with me having about 24 inches of hair in its very curly state. I'd say pay attention to how your hair feels at the end of the day or in the morining as to whether or not you need to re-apply. By all means get a good scarf. I don't use silk because silk does not stay on my head no matter how much I pin or clip. A satin bonnet works for me, along with satin pillowcases.

Thats what keeps my hair soft! No add'l moisturizing needed for me the next morning.
I understood that silk and wheat proteins were more moisturizing and not too harsh...I could be wrong...but like lalla & Nonie said listen to your hair it definitely will tell you what it needs.

I will see if I can get my hands on a silk scarf. I have a silk pillow, so that will be my backup just in case the scarf comes off at night. Part of the reason why I haven't used one is because I sleep rough sometimes. :look:

Back