Do you think Straight Hair makes hair grow faster?

Straightening Methods: What's the Hype?

• Texlaxed

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Texlaxed and Flat iron

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Relaxed

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Relaxed and Flat iron

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Flat iron only

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Rollerset

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Au Natural

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters

PuffyBrown

I am now out braids completely! Woo hoo!
I have had braids forever!
I am wondering about flat irons. I have never flat ironed and my stylist in the
Past did not use because I always got a rollerset.

I am trying to figure out the best way to get straighter hair without getting a relaxer.
My hair does not accept relaxers and I always have severe breakage after a few weeks and then cannot get a retouch. I tried texlaxing but it doesn’t help because my hair grows too fast. I am considering the flat iron regimine that many forum members are using but I want to get more information.

I read also that you can get natural hair straight with a rollerset and then blow dry roots. (? How do you do this).

Please answer poll to the following questions.

• Texlaxed (How many weeks between texlaxing and what do you do to maintain your roots?)
  • Texlaxed and Flat iron (How many weeks between texlaxing and what do you do to maintain your roots? How often do you flat iron?)
  • Relax (How many weeks between relaxing and do you have breakage? How do you stop breakage or prevent your hair from breaking?)
  • Relax and Flat iron (How many weeks between relaxing and do you have breakage? How do you stop breakage or prevent your hair from breaking)
  • Flat iron (no chemical in hair how often do you flat iron, what benefits have you seen if any?)
  • Au Natural (No chemicals, no flat iron, no rollerset) What is your hair type and how does your natural hair behave? Is it light, resistant, soft, etc….
  • Rollerset (Blowout) (How long does it last for you and what is your hair type?

I texlax my hair every 6 - 8 weeks.

I airdry and flatiron once a week.

I don't think straight hair makes my hair grow faster, but not stretching helps me retain my growth better. I start getting breakage if I stretch for too long.

I rollerset (with leave-in) and then flat iron about every 2 weeks. My hair is very healthy and thick. No heat damage. There are details in my journal.
(I used to do it weekly, but the longer and thicker it gets, the more I dislike washing it.)

I think straight hair makes the oils from your scalp travel faster down the strand, thus keeping your hair moisturizered, and reducing breakage, therefore increasing your length retenion.

I am now out braids completely! Woo hoo!
I have had braids forever!
I am wondering about flat irons. I have never flat ironed and my stylist in the
Past did not use because I always got a rollerset.

I am trying to figure out the best way to get straighter hair without getting a relaxer.
My hair does not accept relaxers and I always have severe breakage after a few weeks and then cannot get a retouch. I tried texlaxing but it doesn’t help because my hair grows too fast. I am considering the flat iron regimine that many forum members are using but I want to get more information.

I read also that you can get natural hair straight with a rollerset and then blow dry roots. (? How do you do this).

Please answer poll to the following questions.
  • Texlaxed (How many weeks between texlaxing and what do you do to maintain your roots?)
  • Texlaxed and Flat iron (How many weeks between texlaxing and what do you do to maintain your roots? How often do you flat iron?)
  • Relax (How many weeks between relaxing and do you have breakage? How do you stop breakage or prevent your hair from breaking?)
  • Relax and Flat iron (How many weeks between relaxing and do you have breakage? How do you stop breakage or prevent your hair from breaking)
  • Flat iron (no chemical in hair how often do you flat iron, what benefits have you seen if any?)
  • Au Natural (No chemicals, no flat iron, no rollerset) What is your hair type and how does your natural hair behave? Is it light, resistant, soft, etc….
  • Rollerset (Blowout) (How long does it last for you and what is your hair type?
I texlax every 13 + weeks. I maintain my roots by using the scarf method when I airdry to keep newgrowth straighter and smooth (see Sylver2's demonstrations).
I also airdry the rest of my hair overnite in a rollerset to smooth and straighten.

I think straight hair sometimes appear longer but it doesn't make hair grow any faster. People with type 1 hair, for example, can have the same issues as anyone else when trying to grow their hair longer, if they don't care for their hair or diet.

Last edited:
I texlax every 3-4 months. The first 10 weeks or so, I tend to use no heat, but for the remaining 6 weeks, I use heat either every week or every other week. Aside from shrinkage, my roots dont bother me.

I don't think straight hair grows faster, but for me, it's much easier to maintain.

My curly texturized hair is so tempermental :nono: One day it looks banging, the next day I look like Buckwheat.

Straightened hair for me is easier to moisturize and maintain, but the breakage I'm experiencing as a texturized head would be out of control if I relaxed bone straight--so I stay texturized :perplexed

:nono: Nope. My relaxed or ironed hair, no matter how moisturized, would break off daily. Since going Au Naptural, I've had no breakage at all...maybe 20 hairs in the last two weeks. And it's growing like weeds.

I am not sure, but I think I know what Pistachio is talking about. Sebum
(our natural oils) is on our scalp whether we are bald, relaxed, or natural. When your hair is straighter, the oil can travel down the strand more easily. Scientists correct me if I am wrong.

no i dont think it does...

to me prevent breakage and keep your hair moisturized would seem to be what makes your hair grow faster..

Back