do you think it's ok to lose strands instead of pieces?

CaraWalker

i am noticing now that most of my shed hair is full long strings of hair. i havent cared much for my hair as a natural. i know that when i was relaxed i almost never had full strands of hair left behind in the shower, comb, etc; it would always be broken off hair. most of my hair while shampooing looks like root to tip.

it's not a lot. if i ball the hair up it's probably smaller than the round of a quarter. but im not sure if this is alarming or not. overall im not concerned with the amount of shed hair because it does not seem like any more than im familiar with (in fact it seems like less than i usually would have, especially since i stopped using a brush). but i dont know if root to tip shed hair is normal either.

Are you seeing the little white bulbs on the end? I've noticed a ton more shedding than normal these past few months--and I'm NOT seeing the white bulbs on the roots of my hair. I've read that Garlic can help slowdown shedding---and I just got my order of Alter Ego Garlic Mask in the mail--so I'm going to use that and see if I notice a difference.

i am noticing now that most of my shed hair is full long strings of hair. i havent cared much for my hair as a natural. i know that when i was relaxed i almost never had full strands of hair left behind in the shower, comb, etc; it would always be broken off hair. most of my hair while shampooing looks like root to tip.

it's not a lot. if i ball the hair up it's probably smaller than the round of a quarter. but im not sure if this is alarming or not. overall im not concerned with the amount of shed hair because it does not seem like any more than im familiar with (in fact it seems like less than i usually would have, especially since i stopped using a brush). but i dont know if root to tip shed hair is normal either.

You don't want the little broken pieces. You want hairs that have a little white end (the bulb). Most of my shed hairs are really long.

If it's long strands with a white bulb at the tip, that normal shed hair. And judging by the amount you say you lose, it sounds like a normal amount, nothing to be worried about. We lose on the average 50 to 100 hairs a day from shedding, so if the strands are long, it might seem like a lot when balled up. I would be much more concerned if they were broken pieces; that means you have a breakage problem, which requires attention.

hair goes through cycles other than growth, shedding is a part of that process as well. broken pieces all the time equals less overall retention in the course of a year. the average head sheds 50-100 hairs a day. curly shed hair can look liek far more than it actually is due to density or thickness of strands.

Back