Do you think I could try the bantu knots on...

KinksnCurlz

...my 3 year old daughter's hair? She's a natural (of course) and her hair is very thick yet soft. I would like her to have this style for Easter. Do you think her hair will get tangled as the day goes on? I've never even attempted to leave her hair out... ever, so i'm kind of nervous about that.
TIA

hmmm that's a good question. I know from my experience when I was younger My hair got tangled during the day if my mom left it out and I hated the detangling process. I think if you did it and then maybe clipped it up into a style that would still be cute for easter or even half up half down would help with the potential tangling problem. HTH

It would probably get tangled. Maybe you can cornrow her hair up towards the crown of her head & bantu knot the top. Then it would be a curly puff.

Hmmmm... good suggestion
scratchchin.gif

Keep 'em coming ladies
grin.gif

That sounds like it would be really cute. It's only for one day right?

At the end of the day, I dont thing you would even have to completely wash her hair in order to braid it up before she goes to bed (to avoid a mess the next day). I would just spritz her hair with lavendar water (or a water and baby conditioner with lavendar) and put it in 4 or 5 braids. The lavendar will help her sleep better and the braids will keep it from seriously tangeling so it will be easy to comb out the next morning.

Definitely. I would just dilute it with plenty of water...spritz her hair curly puff at the end of the day...that way she wont experience any discomfort when you comb her curls down to plait her hair up for the night.

Use a wide tooth comb and she should not have any issues with tangeling.

When I take my bantu knots out in the morning...I just use my fingers...no comb at all.

I wish you could post pics! I know it will be ADORABLE!

By the way:

Are you putting her knots in the night before?
Are you putting them in on damp hair? Remember they will tighten as they dry, so I would put them in kind of loose so that she is not uncomfortable through the night.

I held mine in with bobby pins, but rubber bands might be more comfortable for her.

Again, thanks. And yes, i was going to try it on freshly washed hair. What products do you use when u do your knots pooky?

I condition wash with Suave Milk & Honey.
Then follow up with Pantene Hydrating Curls conditioner.

I thoroughly rinse my hair.
I spritz with "Pookey Spritz" (distilled water, dallop of Pantene Hydrating Curls conditioner, rosemary hair oil from www.fromnaturewithlove.com, glycerin, Woojee Cream).

I then section my hair in small sections and add shea butter to each section. I two strand twist my hair first (gives more curl and causes it to spiral a bit) then twist it into the bantu knot. It turns into a great curly fro each time.

Let us know how it turns out. I bet it will look great with a headband that has a bow on it.

If you think it looks too curly or poofy in the morning...simply spritz her hair again and comb it first and then brush her hairline smooth and maybe braid it or put it into a cute pony puff...I dont think it will turn out too curly though.

Dang I wish I had a little girl so I could do her hair.
smile.gif

DANG GIRL... now i'm really hyped up. I am definately going to try it. And i didn't even THINK about a headband with a bow.

You read my mind, CH. I was thinking about doing the same thing on my daughter's hair. When my daughter was three and did the pictures that I had, that was the first time ever her hair was out also. I only do it occasionally. And it does get bigger as the day goes by, but not necessarily more tangled. For me, less is best so at the end of the day, it gets swooped (fingercombed) into her signature afro puff until I get ready to wash it. Each day that it's in the afro puff, I moisturize it, but no combing until I wash it. I'm lazy like that, though.

OMG...with a cute bow or a FLOWER!!! She will be the HIT that day.

Please, please, please take pics!!! My neice does not have enough hair to do this yet...we can barely get it into a barret!
laugh.gif
I would love to see it.

No, it's not more tangled. If you're worried about the tangles and her crying about it, just section it off and finger separate it first before you comb or brush. That's what I do when I think my daughter is going to scream bloody murder.

That's where i got the sectioning from. It was YOU GMMP! Thanks so much. I section her hair in 4 sections and wash each section separately. That has DEFINATELy helped!

You're welcome. And sectioning is key with thick natural hair. If not, just thinking about getting through it, no matter how soft it is, is exhausting.

I do this style on my cousins hair and she is 5 yrs old..it actually is great and does not get tangled..and has helped alot in keeping her logn hair managebale...i use kiddies products though...The dark and lovley for kids products are great

as long as the knots are not tied to tight( eliminating pressure on thier sides) i would go for it..i know it will look just adorable

my baby deja has a curly texture of hair and i let it out all the time. she has that lisa nicole carson do and she likes it. i only do that when it is really hot becase i have to wet it constantly to keep it from drying and drawing up. i have been using Sta Sof Fro on her hair (advice from the ladies here on the board) and it has been working wonders. the comb literally glides though her hair. no need to detanlge when i spray her hair with this stuff. if your saturate her hair with this, i bet you will have no prob. it gives the hair a very healthly shine and has glycerin in it. i love it.

i love the sta soft fro as well. whenever i spray mya's hair with it, the comb glides rite thru. i just don't like that 'sticky' feeling it leaves
perplexed.gif

Go for it!! I just did my daughter's hair like that this weekend. Well, hers was in twists with the knots at the end. I was originally going to put the back in ponytails for fear of detangling but didn't. Her hair was fine. It got bigger during the day, but that just made the style look better. It was too cute
smile.gif

tru dat, it does leave a sticky feel. i put a bonnet on her hair at night to save the pillows and we will be washing every week for now on. i have yet to find one that works the same without the sticky feel. if you do, please let me know. i have to say, it's not as bad as the s-curl or care free.

Back