Do you think collarbone length is to late for me to switch to a lye relaxer?

fluffylocks

I was reading the no-lye or lye poll---and now i want to switch to lye. Because my hair type is already dry as it is, and it is kind of dull without clear rinses and such

--But do you think its too late at collarbone length....

Also, when i was younger and my mom starting taking me to the salon to get relaxers and my hair starting thinning and breaking...she always said my hair was too fine and that the lye relaxers were too strong ( any truth to that?--lye being too strong for fine hair)

And then about 3 months into starting my hair care journey i decided to go to the salon and get all my relaxers, and she used lye, and my hair starting thining and i actually had 2 bald spots-----
now do you guys think this is from lye and my hair cant take it
a bad stylist
or my inexperience at the time to recognize my hair needs something and it just broke

So to solve both problems, i started self-relaxing, and using no-lye

Do you think i should just stick with no-lye ( aint broke, dont fix it)

Or make a change right now, since i will be doing my own relaxers and can recognize any problems that may come along

I have very fine hair too and I have much more success with no-lye relaxers. However, it's really hard to pinpoint where the actual thinning from going to the stylist comes from. I've had lye relaxers with a stylist, but they also use Marcel irons and other heat elements, and also I had highlights. My hair became really, really thin and damaged while going to a stylist, but it may not have just been from the relaxer. However, if you have very fine hair, you may just want to implement some of the strategies used to protect, strengthen, and moisturize the hair during the relaxing process instead of switching relaxers. Try using porosity control and doing a protein conditioner step before neutralizing, with a deep conditioner afterwards. You may need to step up your deep conditioning regimen as well. I would also advise you to pay more close attention to the ingredients in your products. Fine hair can dry and break really easy with certain ingredients. HTH!

Collarbone length is not too late for you to switch, I switched to lye relaxers at armpit length, but I made sure I went to the salon to get it done.

I can't speak on whether the relaxer was thinning your hair or you just came across a bad stylists etc. I can say that my hair was thick/full when I got Affirm relaxers. My stylist went on vacation so I went to a salon that only used Mizani and my hair was very thin and stringy looking -I never let a stylist use Mizani on me again.

Lye Relaxers have inproved over the last couple of years, MAZANI BUTTER BLEND for fine/colored hair, or they also make a no-lye for sensitive scalp.
I trust Mazani for my relaxer clients.

It's okay to switch. I did and I saw a big improvement in the health of my hair. My hair is no longer dry and dull. Try a mild lye relaxer at first to ease some of your concerns. HTH...Good Luck!

Collarbone length is not too late for you to switch, I switched to lye relaxers at armpit length, but I made sure I went to the salon to get it done.

I can't speak on whether the relaxer was thinning your hair or you just came across a bad stylists etc. I can say that my hair was thick/full when I got Affirm relaxers. My stylist went on vacation so I went to a salon that only used Mizani and my hair was very thin and stringy looking -I never let a stylist use Mizani on me again.

What strength did you use for the Mizani? Mizani is one of the strongest relaxers out there so the relaxer may have been too strong for your hair.

Anyhow OP, I don't think it's too late to switch to lye-relaxers. Just make sure you're using the right strength and that the relaxer is properly applied. Lye is harsher on the scalp so you have to make sure you base your entire scalp really well so that you don't burn or end up with bald spots.

Last edited:
Back