Do you think a dermatologist would help me?????

ElisaF

have any of you gone to a dermatologist for hairloss. I don't know what else to do. I've been using surge, wgo, protein conditioners and other things to combat this hairloss i'm experiencing on the left side of my hair for the past month. It seems like it has slowed down, but everytime i put a mirror to the back of my head i feel like crying. I don't know if it's BC pills i discontinued or the low carb diet i'm on. It's coming out from the root so it's not breakage. I'm wondering if a dermatologist would be able to help me or would it be a waste of time. Let me know your experiences.

Is it breakage or falling from the root? If you think its abnormal, yes go see a derm before it gets anyw orse. The earlier you make that appt, the quicker you can correct the problem.

I agree with DigitalRain. When I started physical therapy school, my hair started shedding by the handfuls. I went to the dermatologist and he determined that it was stress that was causing the hair loss and prescribed vitamins for 3 months and to return if condition didn't improve. Well, it did improve, so I didn't go back. But, he told me if the vitamins didn't help he could do a lot of other tests to determine the cause of the shedding. Dermatologists can be very helpful.

I would see a dermatologist. I went to one and he prescribed flucionide (drops) and it helped my hair grow back. You should also get a blood test done to rule out any other conditions, like a hormonal imbalance.

I am finally going to a dermatologist myself...my crown is broken to the point where I cannot wear my natural hair...I am going this Tuesday..I dont have anything to lose and probably shouldnt have waited so long.....

Re: Do you think a dermatologist would help me????

Elisa, do you use a relaxer? Remember that these contain caustic chemicals, so any subsequent scalp damage/hairloss would have to first be addressed from that standpoint, imo. Sodium hydroxide dissolves organic matter--that's its job. Sometimes it dissolves hair to the degree one wants, and sometimes it goes too far. It's rather unpredictable. Only a dermatologist will be able to reliably tell you if this is happening in your case. Good luck to you!

Yes, go and see a dermatologist ASAP. You don't want to wait too long.

Please go. I found out the cause of my breakage and should have gone sooner.

[ QUOTE ]
iCandey said:
Please go. I found out the cause of my breakage and should have gone sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

iCandey, What did the dermatologist say? What's your treatment?--kc

A dermatologist can help you. I think when peoples hair break off at the root it can be just stress or you may have what is called Alopecia. If that is not treated you will see more balding spots in your head. I know several people this has happened to and the dermatologist gave them injections in the balding area of steroids. The hair grew back in a matter of weeks.

that it was a scalp infection, gave me steroids to regrow. the infection left so i didnt need antibiotics, but i will be doing tea tree oil pre shampoo treatments just in case...

Hi Elisa
smile.gif

This isn't really my experience...but my mother is experiencing hair loss. It is coming out in large clumps. She has an appointment with her regular Doctor to try and find out what the problem is. We believe that is a combination of stress...and her Diabetes. If you started on any kind of new medication...it could also be the culprit. I agree with what all of these ladies said, but if you started any new medication...I would go to see your regular MD first.

If you can't get to the DR's right away, you might want to try to apply a little sulfur 8 on the problem area. It helped me on my nape area which was breaking off a year or so ago.

Your hair WILL come back healthy and strong once you correct the problem!

Once you find out what the problem is, be sure to come back and update us!

Back