Do you seal with oil?

Blackoutzangel05

Is there anyone out there doesn't seal their hair with oil to keep moisture??

I am asking because today for some reason my hair feels extra greasy so I had to co-wash it.

Now I am wondering if that is really necessary. Or is it possible that I used too much oil, because when I say it was dripping it was 8 hours later and dripping with oil, which never has happened before.

I might try mixing it with my moisturizer or leave the spray bottle alone and go back to pouring it in my hand....

I only seal durring the week when i wear my hair up w/ JBCO for thickening and sealing so I dont mind the oilness durring the week ..but the weekend I dont seal I just moisturize and spray oil sheen cuz any other type of oil is too much for my hair and weighs it down

When I wear my hair flat ironed, I may skip the oil. It really isn't needed if you hair can hold on to moisture.

The only point of oil is to SEAL in the moisture to make it last longer. But if your hair has no problem holding on to moisture, I say skip the oil if you want to.

LocksOfLuV said:
When I wear my hair flat ironed, I may skip the oil. It really isn't needed if you hair can hold on to moisture.

The only point of oil is to SEAL in the moisture to make it last longer. But if your hair has no problem holding on to moisture, I say skip the oil if you want to.

Thanks I think that I am going to ease up on the oil because today's greasy feeling was not my cup of tea.

thanks everyone for helping me...I mixed my moisturizer and oil together just now on my freshly co-washed hair and that might be my answer, it doesnt feel as greasy right now

LocksOfLuV said:

I never knew that, i always thought it was necessary. I usually seal with almond, jojoba, or olive oil.

Yes...I moisturize 2x daily with either Profective Megagrowth creme or Olive Oil Cream in the jar...and then seal with EVOO...not a lot just enough to seal the ends and my edges.

LocksOfLuV said:

Hmm good point i noticed once I started using porosity control, weekly my hair holds moisture wayyyy more i dont need to moisturize or seal that much

I tried sealing with serums or oil after I put in my leave ins when I shampood and deep conditioned and my hair looked so greasy!
So now on I just use my leave in alone and get better results.
The same thing happens if I use moisturizers and seal it. My hair looks really greasy. Then again my hair is fine.

If I just use water and seal with oil im fine.

LocksOfLuV said:

agree with you. If you deep condition your hair weekly your hair can hold onto moisture during the week.

Some leave-ins, like Giovanii Direct, already contain oils so I can leave it as is. If I do add an oil after my leave-in, it's a very light amount and more of a pomade, like Aveda Anti-Humectant. When my hair dries, it's never greasy or greasy-looking.

I also wash and deep condition twice each week so my hair is usually always moisturized.

This happened to me today, I washed and deep conditioned last night then today I moisturized and sealed with oil and bunned my hair, and my hair was left a little oily looking. I'm gonna see if I can skip sealing sometimes too as it may not always be necessary. :scratchch

Lately whenever I seal it leaves my hair hard. The last three days I've haven't sealed and my hair has been soft. I haven't changed any products. Could it be as my hair becomes healthier I don't need to do things I did to get it started? Or could there be another reason?

Blackoutzangel05 said:
Is there anyone out there doesn't seal their hair with oil to keep moisture??

I am asking because today for some reason my hair feels extra greasy so I had to co-wash it.

Now I am wondering if that is really necessary. Or is it possible that I used too much oil, because when I say it was dripping it was 8 hours later and dripping with oil, which never has happened before.

I might try mixing it with my moisturizer or leave the spray bottle alone and go back to pouring it in my hand....

I seal with black castor oil. Maybe you are putting too much oil on. Sometimes my ends feels greasy, when I take my baggie off and I have to co-wash ALOT because of that but I don't mind the greasy ends because I never wear my hair down. I co-wash every other day now that it's warm. Try applying a little oil just a dab and see how it works out;)

Me2 said:
Lately whenever I seal it leaves my hair hard. The last three days I've haven't sealed and my hair has been soft. I haven't changed any products. Could it be as my hair becomes healthier I don't need to do things I did to get it started? Or could there be another reason?

Sounds like you need to clarify.

Back