Do you retouch according to new growth or time?

Innocent_Kiss

I know most of the ladies here retouch according to a time period, aprox. 6-8 weeks or longer, some even shorter. Does anybody here retouch according to how much new growth they have? Since our hair probably grow at different lengths at different times.

Speaking of retouching, can anybody recommend a Neutralizing Products? Every beautician I go to, she says my hair is overprocessed. I thought that meant I was getting perms to often (which was about 6-7 weeks). What it actually meant was my already relaxed hair was getting re-relaxed when I did touch ups. I noticed my hair actually grows fast, it's keeping the hair on my head from breaking so the new growth will add length that is the struggle. So, to prevent breakage from overprocessing, I need something that'll neutralize the relaxer if if accidently overlaps. Any recommendations?

I texturize according to the amount of new growth. The main purpose of strecthing out relaxers is to help to reduce overlapping and to keep the exposure to the chemicals down.

What would be the point of exposing yourself to the relaxer if you don't have a substantial amount of growth?

To protect your hair, try neutralizing shampoo on the unrelaxed parts. Just don't get any on the new growth. It seems logical to me
smile.gif

I retouch according to how long it's been since my last retouch. Normally I'd only go 6-8 weeks, but right now I am a few days short of 12 weeks post and plan to go to 16 weeks, and every time hereafter I plan to go 14-16 weeks between touch ups.

Sorry I don't know anything about neutralizing products.

I retouch according to extra money available, which is why my stylist sees me nearly four months at a time..lol!

[ QUOTE ]
Connie said:
I retouch according to extra money available, which is why my stylist sees me nearly four months at a time..lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point!
lachen70.gif
I'm starting to relax according to time just so that I put less chemicals in my hair. I used to relax according to how much I had b/c I didn't know how to really manage my new growth- now I have no excusing on this board.

I use mizani... and elasta qp because it has one of those color indicators just to make sure that everything is out.

a combination of the two. I wait atleast two months before getting a relax. Usually, by that time I'm ready for one (newgrowth wise).

I retouch according to time, meaning how long I can safely stretch out my relaxer. 14 weeks was my last time. Before it was every 13 weeks. It was every 8 weeks when I first came to this board. I work around my newgrowth with styles that can hide it, like braidouts or wearing my own hair in braids.

I do a combination. No matter how much new growth I have I won't even concider it until I reach the 9 wk mark. then I plan on doing it between 2-3 wks after depending on my frustration level. I've been averaging 12 wks although last relaxer was a 10 wk'r.

Another good choice would be to use an acidifying conditioner like nexxus ensure. The pH is 3, so it should help a lot.

I just thought of that
smile.gif

A little bit of both. I wait until I can't stand my new growth anymore and that seems to be averaging about 14-16 weeks.

Time. Every 12 weeks. But if I was finding that I didn't have enough newgrowth (scary thought) I'd wait longer.

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
I wait at least 10 weeks, then however long after that I can stand...

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO! 4b relaxed with affirm lye mild.

Newgrowth. But after getting my hair bleached, I had to space out my last touch-up, for fear of it touching the hair too much.

I guess both. I check my new growth at around four wks, but usually can stretch it to six wks.

I don't use neutralizing agents, but I hear that Vaseline is good to use on your hair to keep from overlapping.

HTH

Back