Do You Retain More Hair In A Sew In Than Wearing Your Natural Hair?

When I used to weave my retention was amazing. I washed 1-2x a week depending on what kind of hair I was using. I was able to get to my scalp but you may run the risk of having to tighten it up sooner than you want if you are washing often. This is my limited knowledge from years ago.

It truly depends. Yes and no to both. Sew-ins are consider a good protective hairstyle. Protective hairstyles are good for protecting the hair from daily manipulation. However, it doesn't mean we should not do anything to our hair. Washing and conditioning (with a diluted nozzle bottle) once every week or two (drying hair under hood dryer) and spraying a leave in conditioner on the braids will help it retain its length. I know a lot of people hair that grows and retain length well in its natural state. They are low maintains though and they do not overly manipulate the hair (they don't flat iron and do to many different styles), but they make sure to wash, condition, and moisturize their hair when needed.

Can somebody tell me what do they do in order to retighten a weave? I've always wondered, do they re-do the canerows, just add more thread, cut out the old thread? What happens please?

Yes you can definitely retain length wearing sew ins! I sure do lol it's actually my favorite protective style, especially during the colder months. If you exercise a lot just be sure to wash your scalp every week using a fine tip applicator bottle.

When I wasn't wearing sew ins I'd usually just run water through my hair after I work out or use a little conditioner and just let it air dry, but you definitely want to take your time drying your braids under your sew in. Expect to be sitting under a hooded dryer for AT LEAST 1+ hour. I sometimes switch up and use my hand held dryer too, but PLEASE don't try to 'air dry' your braids underneath..:nono: Unless you have the patience to wash and dry more than weekly, go for it. But I didn't have issues doing this every week.

Be very careful though if you choose to not wear a closure. I destroyed my curl pattern in the front because I had to flat iron my leave out every day to match my weave's straight pattern:paperbag:

Last edited:
I have not worn a sew-in in a while, since becoming 100% natural. I wore sew-ins when I was relaxed and felt like I retained. I was BSL when relaxed.

My best protective style as a natural has been wash & go's. I only learned that this summer after years of wearing Kinky twists, Havana twists and crochet braids and wondering why I wasn't at MBL...still at APL.
My natural hair is just too fine for the traditional "protective styles".

It truly depends. Yes and no to both. Sew-ins are consider a good protective hairstyle. Protective hairstyles are good for protecting the hair from daily manipulation. However, it doesn't mean we should not do anything to our hair. Washing and conditioning (with a diluted nozzle bottle) once every week or two (drying hair under hood dryer) and spraying a leave in conditioner on the braids will help it retain its length. I know a lot of people hair that grows and retain length well in its natural state. They are low maintains though and they do not overly manipulate the hair (they don't flat iron and do to many different styles), but they make sure to wash, condition, and moisturize their hair when needed.

Me to and I understand how to take care of hair but I wear bonds and comb out my hair everyday
I feel thats is hendering me a lot.

Once I grow out my hair in its healthy state I will wear my hair in and out of weaves and braids.
My only issue is that if im active will i be able to wash out the sweat!!!

Yes, just put a little shampoo and warm water in an applicator bottle. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil.

So i can actually get through the tracks with a applicator bottle easily?
I may try this sew in.
I was thinking a wig but it's def not my style
and i havent convinced myself yet.

Yes you can definitely retain length wearing sew ins! I sure do lol it's actually my favorite protective style, especially during the colder months. If you exercise a lot just be sure to wash your scalp every week using a fine tip applicator bottle.

When I wasn't wearing sew ins I'd usually just run water through my hair after I work out or use a little conditioner and just let it air dry, but you definitely want to take your time drying your braids under your sew in. Expect to be sitting under a hooded dryer for AT LEAST 1+ hour. I sometimes switch up and use my hand held dryer too, but PLEASE don't try to 'air dry' your braids underneath..:nono: Unless you have the patience to wash and dry more than weekly, go for it. But I didn't have issues doing this every week.

Be very careful though if you choose to not wear a closure. I destroyed my curl pattern in the front because I had to flat iron my leave out every day to match my weave's straight pattern:paperbag:

Hey doll,
I did enough research to figure out that a closure is needed to do a full sew in.
I like the idea of a full sew in; but the thing is, I feel that it looks less natural (based off google images)

My issue with a partial is that my hair length in the front is jawline length (bang length) and I'm worried it
needs to be longer to match.
Always flat ironing the hair to match is also a concern because thats the part I want to grow out also.

Do not want to do braids I feel that season is ending soon.
However twist are pretty cute in the fall/winter also..

Hey doll,
I did enough research to figure out that a closure is needed to do a full sew in.
I like the idea of a full sew in; but the thing is, I feel that it looks less natural (based off google images)

My issue with a partial is that my hair length in the front is jawline length (bang length) and I'm worried it
needs to be longer to match.
Always flat ironing the hair to match is also a concern because thats the part I want to grow out also.

Do not want to do braids I feel that season is ending soon.
However twist are pretty cute in the fall/winter also..
What is the texture of the hair you will be using? If it's kinky straight, you can just blow dry on the cool setting to avoid to damage.

Why do you have to dry with a dryer?

Hmmm, I used to have the LCL dryer, but I don't anymore. I want to start wearing weaves as a form of preventing myself from messing with it each week and to have different looks. I might have to bite the bullet and get that dryer again.

I just wore a sew in for the last 6 months and my retention was crazy! I retained more with a sew in than I had in years of having my hair out.
In the white was Feb... in the orange is August. I would never have retained from shoulder length to bra strap length in 6months without that sew in. I redid it every 2 months.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1472178627656.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1472178627656.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I tried weaves as a protective style twice. Never again. I need to be able to touch and massage my scalp. My best protective styles have been twists and braids on my own hair.

I just wore a sew in for the last 6 months and my retention was crazy! I retained more in a sew in than I had in years of having my hair out.
In the white was Feb... in the orange is August. I would never have retained from shoulder length to bra strap length in 6months without that sew in. I redid it every 2 months.

Awesome. Reniece is amazing!

Yes, she certainly is. I usually go to Breon, but it's the same results each time. Reneice did my hair last week and will be doing my sons haircut in 2 weeks... those girls are blessed...and know how to retain hair.
What did you do to keep it clean and hair moisturized underneath in between the every two months retightenings?

What did you do to keep it clean and hair moisturized underneath in between the every two months retightenings?
Girl barely anything! I was in the hospital and was on bed rest then there was a death in the family and I lost my job, and I planned my wedding, got married and went on a honeymoon... all during that time.

It's a wonder my hair grew at all! It was definitely the fact that it was put away that helped with retention.
I DID use the N'joy growth oil on my scalp with the applicator nozzle...also some diluted shampoo on the braids n scalp...and then conditioner... I water rinsed a lot just because so much was going on in my life.
I had leave out in the front the 1st 4 months...then the last 2 I got full weave with a silk closure, it was absolutely the BEST.

Girl barely anything! I was in the hospital and was on bed rest then there was a death in the family and I lost my job, and I planned my wedding, got married and went on a honeymoon... all during that time.

It's a wonder my hair grew at all! It was definitely the fact that it was put away that helped with retention.
I DID use the N'joy growth oil on my scalp with the applicator nozzle...also some diluted shampoo on the braids n scalp...and then conditioner... I water rinsed a lot just because so much was going on in my life.
I had leave out in the front the 1st 4 months...then the last 2 I got full weave with a silk closure, it was absolutely the BEST.
So you basically washed and moisturized sporadically? Did you have a dryer on hand to dry your braids? You didn't let them air dry as a pp stated was not such a good idea, did you? I'm trying to get an idea of what I need to do when I go up under this weave next month. I've had weaves before, but never took care of my hair underneath.

So you basically washed and moisturized sporadically? Did you have a dryer on hand to dry your braids? You didn't let them air dry as a pp stated was not such a good idea, did you? I'm trying to get an idea of what I need to do when I go up under this weave next month. I've had weaves before, but never took care of my hair underneath.
Right. I mean used to air-dry tho... I didn't use a dryer half the time. When I had the leave out, I did twist outs n bantu knots ... I DID do a couple of sets of flexrod sets so I broke out the dryer to sit under... and I also swam, so I used a hand held dryer... but I did air dry...with no problems. I say the applicator bottle was the savior... and the oil helped my scalp. She also suggested I use Ailikay Naturals lemongrass leave in spray on the braids, which felt good and smelled nice.

What kid of hair did you use? Was it from Reniece?

Back