Do you really need to use shampoo?

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
And if so, how often?

I personally use shampoo about once every two or three months. It just depends on when/if my condish starts to build up on my scalp.

I'm just wondering. Because I don't really see any real benefit to shampooing. Like it doesn't often make my hair feel any better. At least not since I've been natural.

Shampoos are for the scalp, and I definitely need to use them to keep my scalp clean. I couldn't really just rely on conditioners. I shampoo weekly which is fine for me.

To each its own but I QUICKLY got off that co-washing bandwagon when I looked at my scalp one day and saw a white film (DIRT).

That was nasty. I was disgusted and scrubbed my scalp w/ a sulfate shampoo so fast...

And it was a result of not cleaning my scalp and just rubbing conditioner on my hair like its gonna do something.

Shampoos are for the scalp, and I definitely need to use them to keep my scalp clean. I couldn't really just rely on conditioners. I shampoo weekly which is fine for me.

I didn't know that. My scalp doesn't feel any different though. What am I missing by not shampooing often?

I didn't know that. My scalp doesn't feel any different though. What am I missing by not shampooing often?

Maybe for you it's not a problem, maybe conditioning washing is totally sufficient and that's fine if it is. Many people on here co-wash only with a rare shampoo thrown in. If it works for you keep doing it! :yep:

There are other ways to cleanse your scalp without using shampoo. You can use baking soda, apple cider vinegar. There are several ways to get around shampooing.

Your scalp doesnt have to feel different in order to be considered clean. Scrape your finger against your scalp and see if dirt comes up.

It could smell too but the smell is masked by your co-washed hair.

I dont think it is necesary either i am currently trying alternative methods of cleansing (not cowashing)

Oil cleansing?

No.its something i stumbled upon due to my laziness. I spray on duo tex on dirty hair and rinse and my hair feels clean and strong.protien treat and clean in one step.i am trying to see if i can cut out shampooing all together.one less product 2 buy and shortens my regimen

This is quite interesting. I do get some build up, and that's when I wash. Like if I can't get the dirt off and feel clean by just using CO and water.

I am also trying to cut out shampooing altogether. I use alternative methods, but still find that I need to shampoo the scalp. I use the color applicator bottle w/diluted shampoo. The shampoo doesn't touch the rest of my hair, it makes my hair feel stripped, dry, and like straw. Conditioners clean my hair and oil rinses condition may hair (I meant to say it that way). Conditioners have never softened my hair...they are usually too watered down or synthetic for my hair to respond. Sometimes I use just oil rinses to cleanse my hair. So far so good.

This process is saving my hair. I may try the clay Terresentials too- as another method I read about. I am just exploring different methods and would like to find an alternative to using shampoo to even clean the scalp. But I still don't trust baking soda and found acv to be too harsh on my hair.

@Napp I am also trying to cut my cleaning/cond'ng down to one step...Or two really simple steps (that don't include poo). Now off to look up this duo tex.

Last edited:
This is quite interesting. I do get some build up, and that's when I wash. Like if I can't get the dirt off and feel clean by just using CO and water.

i get buildup with other methods especially cowashing, since i use grease and pomade to style my hair. it was during one of my many moments of laziness that i did this on greasy,pomade filled hair that when i rinsed it out i went to reach for my shampoo and thought: wait my hair doesnt feel greasy or dirty anymore. it didnt even feel coated like when i try to cowash greasy hair. so i put two and two together....

if it can take out the grease in my hair ,which is supposed to only come to with sulfate shampoos, i feel that it is definitely cleansing.

virtuenow i am going to do this for 3 months with no other cleansing method and then do a detailed review in my blog.

Last edited:
I shampoo with every DC. My hair a scalp don't act right if I dont shampoo. I went a few months without shampooing and when I finally went back to it I realized how much I needed it.

your scalp is skin, so it still needs to be cleansed to remove, dirt, debris, bacteria, and dead skin cells. there are natural alternatives to cleansing the scalp, besides shampoo, but it still needs to be done.

i am a skin care therapist and i get a lot of clients that feel that way about their face.....(i just use water) that's another story......

I think it depends on your hair and a few factors.

I find co-washing works for me, altho I use a mild shampoo as part of the mix after so many co-washes. However, I have also received great benefits from using a clay based solution on my hair as well. I mixed bentonite clay with some EOs and a leave in conditioner. My scalp and hair was clean.

I need to shampoo otherwise I get a lot of build up on my scalp; co-washing just makes it worse. I usually use diluted J/A/S/O/N's shampoo (SLS free) every time I wash and clarify with something else when I need to.

At first, it was hard for me to wrap my head around no-poo method. But now that I've found the right products aand technique, I can go just fine without shampoo. I use cone free conditioner and leave in. I only apply butter and QB honey & olive balm :love: on wash day and that's it. I only use coconut oil to untwist my twists and no other oil is used on my hair. Because I don't use alot of product, I don't need shampoo. I only shampoo when I use a serum to straighten (or attempt to).

Obviously you aren't REQUIRED to shampoo....there are a lot of yt women who don't use shampoo and have knee length hair. Apparently after the first couple months your hair starts to clean itself.

I need some sort of scalp cleansing and co-washing wont cut it.

This year I'm experimenting with ayurvedic rinses and shampoo bars

Back