Do you really have to shampoo?

lillian743

your hair? I was wondering b/c Im lazy so I wanna wash it with water every day and use oil on my hair but use a shampoo once every two weeks, I was just wondering if it was ok not to shampoo your hair... PLZ tell your fellow hair member if she is trying something that will hurt her.
hammer.gif

Have you tried condtioner washes? I shampoo about once a month to clarify, all other times I use Conditioner.

Oh yeah since you use oil you might need the conditioner to help emulsify it, because water and oil dont mix.

I tryed CO washs but I wanna try something new..
And plus, Im scared of all the 'bad' stuff in conditioners and shampoos.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lillian743 said:
I tryed CO washs but I wanna try something new..
And plus, Im scared of all the 'bad' stuff in conditioners and shampoos.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what "bad" stuff r u referring to?

there are many products without those ingredients. personally, i love products that contain propylene glycol. i also like products with Ceteral alcohol. Alcohol can be fatty acids, or anything with the OH link. Antagonistally speaking, I dont think those ingredients will harm your hair. listen to your hair and see what it likes.

the shampoo i use doesnt have any of these ingredients. maybe u should give aubrey's a try. or co-washing.

THERE ARE NO SILLY QUESTIONS ON LHCF. that's what we are here for. all of us ladies had to start somewhere. i started with about six inches of hair in the back in may and now i have ten. have courage!

I have to agree with Anky. There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS at LHCF! One thing I've loved about this Board, from its very beginning (and subsequent remorphings), has been the generosity and kindness of its members in sharing good information that has gotten my hair to grow longer than it's ever been in adolescence or adulthood - and all this good advice is for free! (except for the little donations I give whenever possible, to keep the Board up
smile.gif
wink.gif
)

Plus, I'm a little annoyed by those "Chicken Little" the-sky-is-falling/"every chemical compound is bad"-type lists floating out there on the internet. Yes, what they say may be true but it's what they *don't* say that makes it misleading: such as, there are different "grades" that separate what is considered "cosmetic grade" alpha hydroxy acids (or AHAs) and whatever industrial strength grade is used to tan leather or to make cleaning solvents. Without that material bit of information, a reader could foreseeably think that the AHAs s/he is using are too strong for her skin since the very same chemical is used as a cleaning solvent and to tan animal hide.
nono.gif

I am not overly confident in the FDA (our federal government's Food & Drug Administration), given some of the recalls in the past, but I can reasonably expect that it will not allow a company to sell AHAs for cosmetic use if the AHAs are strong enough, at that grade, to tan leather! The FDA insures, among other things, that the cosmetics we use are safe, and requires that any over-the-counter cosmetics claiming to alter the structure or function of the body be reclassified as "drugs," and subjected to the FDA's more rigorous testing and labeling standards for drugs. Although I've selected AHAs, the same applies to hair product ingredients.

I wonder how much of a "service" such authors ostensibly intend to provide with such lists...as opposed to the very real disservice they provide with partial information presented as scare tactics. So please don't feel sad, Lillian. The more you learn, the better you will be equipped to determine what information sounds reasonable and what sounds specious.

Happy Hair Growing!!
wave.gif

Thanx for your help, Nyambura and Anky.

"Chicken Little" the-sky-is-falling/"every chemical compound is bad" Thats too funny...
lachen70.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

If they are using scare tactics then its working very well on me! I was begining to think there was really 'NO' hair product that was safe to use... But anywho, thanx again.

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
i love products that contain propylene glycol. i also like products with Ceteral alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, I love proplene glycol and cetearal alcohol.

Back