Do you pay attention to the shelf life of products?

do you check for expiration dates?

yesterday i purchased a bottle of breakthrough shampoo. I noticed the back of the bottle only listed Softsheen and not Softsheen-Carson. Then I started to wonder amount the date the shampoo was manufactured. I called Softsheen carson and gave the represenative the lot number and she told me the shampoo was manufactured 7 years ago. She advised me not to use it because it was past the recommended 3 year shelf live. She also offered to mail me a replacement product.

i just wanted to know has this happended to anyone else

What?!? That's crazy! I was wondering about that very same thing...I have some Motions CPR that I probably will be tossing tonight! CAn you get a refund on your purchase?

I always wondered what the shelf life of relaxers are......had a bad experience with one and don't want it to happen again:perplexed

tijay said:
What?!? That's crazy! I was wondering about that very same thing...I have some Motions CPR that I probably will be tossing tonight! CAn you get a refund on your purchase?

i don't know

i just threw the bottle away b/c Softsheen carson is going to send me a replacement product

no more asian bss or mom and pop for me, i don't have the patience to call companies about every product i purchase

Last edited:
How long are products supposed to last? One of my favorite conditioners was discontinued a few years ago, but I just found a six bottles. I bought it but I'm wondering if they are past their shelf life? I also have a lot of products at home that I know I should use up or toss but they don't have any dates on them. :confused:

Isis said:
I haven't checked everything but I'm really careful about the relaxers I buy.

Yeah I usually only worry about relaxers that I buy. Although I also think it depends on where you shop too. Because the BSS that I usually go too restocks their products quite often because its the only BSS in that area. But from now on I will be on the look out. Thanks for the tip.

I'm definitely concerned about product shelf life but it's difficult to tell with beauty products because they do not come with dates, however, I smell and carefully look at everything and if something smells off I return it or don't buy it from the start. Also, I purchase products from reputable vendors - Aveda Product Store or Sally's to name a few - because these stores claim they rotate products regularly plus they have good return policies. I've had bad experiences with products purchased either at a salon or a locally owned BSS.

I wanted to start a similar thread today but was lucky enough to find this old one, so I'm just gonna bump it up. I've been thinking about the shelf life of certain products, esp. organic ones. I have John Master Organic products and the shelf life is 6 months only:blush: I guess that's the downside to organic products...

do you check for expiration dates?

yesterday i purchased a bottle of breakthrough shampoo. I noticed the back of the bottle only listed Softsheen and not Softsheen-Carson. Then I started to wonder amount the date the shampoo was manufactured. I called Softsheen carson and gave the represenative the lot number and she told me the shampoo was manufactured 7 years ago. She advised me not to use it because it was past the recommended 3 year shelf live. She also offered to mail me a replacement product.

i just wanted to know has this happended to anyone else

WOW!!!! WHAT?????

:nono::nono: That is horrible.....The BSS may be a dangerous place!

I've been paying attention to the shelf life of my products as well. I went crazy buying products from HairVeda and SheScentIt during the Black Friday Sales, but after the fact when I looked at the shelf life I realized that a lot of them are only good for 3-6 months so I should have ordered a lot less.

that is why so many preservatives are used in these products....
From formulation to stores, to your cabinent is a long time.... Most products have a tiny symbol that says "12" or "24" meaning one or two years....
But these companies also know that people keep products forever..... Long past the reccomended date...and by the thime you buy it - who knows how long it has been on the shelf.

Alot of the relaxers are printed with dates. You should always check them. My older sister must have used an expired relaxer, because all her hair fell out and broke off. She took it in stride. She was calling herself Fire Marshal Bill....:lachen:

I've been paying attention to the shelf life of my products as well. I went crazy buying products from HairVeda and SheScentIt during the Black Friday Sales, but after the fact when I looked at the shelf life I realized that a lot of them are only good for 3-6 months so I should have ordered a lot less.

Good to know, thx!

I bought some food quality coconut oil yesterday and as I was slathering it on my hair and body I read "best when used within 15 month of manufacture", it was manufactured in 05/06. That was 2 years an 8 months ago. this product should have been used by August 2007. It doesnt smell bad, and I wont be eating it but, I probably will not be putting it on my body any longer and only in my hair mixes.:nono:

In a word, no. I do have a lot of stuff but I also use a lot of product so I try not to let things sit too long. My favorites will be gone in 6 months or less unless I am trying to stretch it. :look:

I don't see dates on my hair products, but I dump products pretty often if I haven't used them in a while...we dip our fingers in them, etc which can introduce bacteria. If the bottle has dust on it in the store, I won't buy it. I do think we have to be careful.

Wow. What store is selling 7 year old product? I normally wouldn't trust purchasing anything from them. I don't really pay attention to expiration dates but maybe I should.

I remember that I ordered some unopened bottles of Biosilk off Ebay a while back and when I got them they were a few months away from the printed expiration. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal, but I was looking at the bottles the other week (they are at least a year past the expiration) and the consistency has definitely changed and thinned. I should have known something was up when the price was too good.

Yes, I do pay attention to shelf life. I believe most products have three years max, but makeup's shelf life is a lot shorter.

I was shopping in downtown LA the other day and I found a tiny hair supply store that had the small bottle of Biosilk for like $6. I was so excited and I snatched the product up. It wasn't til I got home and I was reading the back I saw that it was already expired. :( No wonder it was cheap. I think I'll still try it tho. I'll pray my hair doesn't fall out.

Wow. What store is selling 7 year old product? I normally wouldn't trust purchasing anything from them. I don't really pay attention to expiration dates but maybe I should.

I remember that I ordered some unopened bottles of Biosilk off Ebay a while back and when I got them they were a few months away from the printed expiration. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal, but I was looking at the bottles the other week (they are at least a year past the expiration) and the consistency has definitely changed and thinned. I should have known something was up when the price was too good.

Yes I pay attention to the shelf life of products, but I never see any expiration dates.:ohwell: I would not use expired products.:nono:

Back