Do you notice a difference DCing with and without heat?

SweetTea

At school I would always have to DC without heat since I don't have my hooded dryer there. I DC with ORS Replenshing Pak mixed with CON Chamomile and Comfrey. It seems that when I DC without heat, my hair gets all the moisture, is easy to detangle and really soft/slippery. But only when I DC with heat does my hair seem to benefit from the proteins in conditioners. It'll be noticeably stronger, but not as moisturized so I have to moisturize afterwards. Does anyone else notice differences between using DC with and without heat?

:nicethread:Nice Thread OP.

Since I've been on my HHJ, I always DC with Heat.:yep: Either Heat Cap, Steamer or Dryer (but that's rare). With or without Plastic Cap.

I love the way my DC'ed hair feels and my products work, when I apply a heat source to them.

I feel, for me, it wouldn't be a DC Session, unless I used heat during my DC'ing.

My hair stay moisturized longer, detangles nicely and the products work better with the addition of Heat.:love3:

Great question! I'm interested in this too. For now, I don't have a hooded dryer either.

I've read very positive reviews about ORS Replenishing Pak and the Aphogee 2 Step Treatment. I did the ORS Pak a few weeks ago and the 2 Step last week (both without a hooded dryer), and I didn't notice much difference in my hair at all. For the 2 Step, I used my hand dryer for a few minutes to get it hard, but still nothing like the results everyone here has described.

Anyway, would love to hear from some of the ladies with more experience.

I have been dcing on dry hair w/o out direct heat overnight and I like it. I still heat though but my own body heat and a plastic cap along w/ a satin bonnet. I did this with a moisturizing dc w/ a light/medium protein dc overnight and it made my hair stronger so I believe is a keeper.

When I do DC (Aubrey Organics HSR) with heat I do get more of the lush softness that the conditioner is known for... but I also get breakage. I don't get breakage on the regular, I watch my hair like a hawk so it's pretty obvious when I do. My hair doesn't like heat of any kind. Not even DC'ing.

I get good results from DC'ing without heat for a couple of hours but it's not the same. Tomorrow I plan to try with 25% less heat. I've cut heat out of every other aspect of my hair styling etc. My hair's gotta meet me half way on this!

I like using my self heating cap for 2 hours nothing conditions like this not even my steamer, but the feel of the steamer is different and I like it, I don't always have 2 hours to dedicate to my DC. But I definitely use one source of heat or another, either self heating cap or steamer :D

I definitely notice a difference. When I used the Silk Elements deep conditioner, I was NOT impressed at all. I decided to give it another go, and used my heating cap this time. I put it in like a virgin relaxer and went under the cap for about 2 hours. As I washed it out, my denman slipped through, hair felt like silk and my curls were very defined and moisturized. I normally don't use heat because I'm so lazy, but these results definitely gave me more motivation.

I definitely notice a difference. When I used the Silk Elements deep conditioner, I was NOT impressed at all. I decided to give it another go, and used my heating cap this time. I put it in like a virgin relaxer and went under the cap for about 2 hours. As I washed it out, my denman slipped through, hair felt like silk and my curls were very defined and moisturized. I normally don't use heat because I'm so lazy, but these results definitely gave me more motivation.

That is exactly what I use under my self heating cap for two hours and BUTTER is an understatement.

I think SE Megasilk Moisturizing treatment works better when left in for and hour or two :)

I just got a heat cap about two weeks ago and can tell a HUGE difference. After using heat with my DC my hair feels so much better then just DC without heat. Will never do a DC any other way.

I definitely notice a difference if I don't sit under the dryer for at least 15mins. Heat leaves my hair stronger and better moisturized.

I just bought a steamer and use it to DC (moisturizing). I get the same or better results than DC overnight (no more having to hear that squishing sound all night). I find I use less conditioner and the time I'm saving is an added bonus. I do 15 - 30 min DC sessions.

I almost hate doing protein treatments because it takes a couple of overnight DC to get my moisture/protein balance back and my hair soft again. It doesn't since using the steamer.

So, 15-30 minutes VS overnight? I'll take my steamer every time. It's revolutionized my haircare routine. Less product used, intensified results and less time spent DCing.

I like using my self heating cap for 2 hours nothing conditions like this not even my steamer, but the feel of the steamer is different and I like it, I don't always have 2 hours to dedicate to my DC. But I definitely use one source of heat or another, either self heating cap or steamer :D

love your hair and the CORRECT BODY CHART PIC. I do alot of self heating with cap myself and definitely like how my hair feels after I do it,:lick: but heat is good also, im just lazy:yep:

love your hair and the CORRECT BODY CHART PIC. I do alot of self heating with cap myself and definitely like how my hair feels after I do it,:lick: but heat is good also, im just lazy:yep:

:D Thanks so much Sparklebh! That is my seamstress body measurements chart so you can understand where to measure when taken down custom measurements. It makes everything clearer. :D

Last edited:
I don't have a steamer or heat cap or even a overhead dryer. So I usually just keep the conditioner in overnight. I seem to get the same effect and when I wake up in the morning my hair actually feels warm. So I guess natural body heat has the same effect, just takes longer.

Back