Do you have to go all out for big yearly improvements?

For maximum length progressive within a year:

• You have to go all out with prettiness a second factor

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • You don't have to sacrifice styling for growth

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No amount of precautions can overcome natural growth rate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With the right number of precautions you can achieve more growth

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

nodisrespect

Assuming things like height and diet are not a heavy determinant:

I've seen pictures of going from NL to APL within a year, and also of NL to SL or SL to SL within a year and I'm wondering if in order to make significant damage (skipping a length) within a year, you have to take extremely careful care of your hair... OR if it's possible to be more lax and still skip a length within a year.

Do you have to cut out ALL damaging factors like heat and practice heavy protective styling for retention... OR could you still style your hair somewhat frequently?

Do you have to suffer through a year of hardcore hair care... OR can you make just as much progressive keeping your hair styled and pretty?

I made the poll multiple choice because really it's like a 1a. and a 1b., so if possible please don't select contradictory choices (both options for a, or both options for b)

Last edited:
I don't have a strict regimen. I just let my hair dictate the flow. If I feel like I need to dc, I do...If I don't feel like wearing protective styles, I don't.

I just go with the flow, use the right products and treat my hair well and it grows:yep:

When I decided to go natural and to gain length I decided to get serious. I cut heat completely out--haven't touched the stuff since summer 06. I wear protective styles a majority of the time (because its good for my hair and because the longer my hair gets the more it is to deal with). I don't take vitamins or miracle hair growth products so it's a little bit of going with the flow and a little bit of TLC.

ETA: I don't think anything can really help you get more growth BUT precautions can help you retain growth.

Yeah. I should clarify by "growth" I don't mean strictly more growth out the scalp and neglecting retention; just in general terms of going from one length to another.

I think you can make big yearly improvements without going hardcore. I've had good progress over the last two years without any protective styling and still using heat but only infrequently. I probably could have kept a couple more inches if I went hardcore but I am not sure that it would have been worth it.

Some people don't but I think I do. For me everything has to be on point. Low heat, good diet, daily moisture, relaxer stretches, protective styles, etc.

Some people don't but I think I do. For me everything has to be on point. Low heat, good diet, daily moisture, relaxer stretches, protective styles, etc.

I did all these over the past year. I don't even use direct heat on my hair, only on my roots. Now I'm hard core this year with more cowashing and light protein treatments. I'm also doing that home grown steam thing probably once a week cuz my hair soaks up moisture like it's a joke.

At first I had to really make myself, now I do it all cuz I really enjoy it and I'm trying to listen to my hair more.

I went from chewed up neck length to almost APL in a year (then I cut off 1.5 inches so my hair would be blunt)

Back